Sat Nav update

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2002 & C350 CDI 2010
Hi guys

Ive got a 2002 CL500. It has the smaller screen sat nav with an original 2002 DX Disc, which loads and works perfect (but well out of date)

Ive purchased 2 "backup" discs from 2 different people of 2010 copies. These are both CD's and DX discs. Neither of them will load?
With my disc:-
Start screen shows "CD not available. Please insert NAVI-CD type DX." ...when I put my Gen "Tele Atlas Great Britian 2002 DX M1" CD in the screen changes to "Navigation being activated. Please obey all traffic rules." then changes to mapping and I can use sat nav..

With your disc:-
Start screen shows "CD not available. Please insert NAVI-CD type DX." ...when I put your disc in, the screen stays the same then ejects disc after about 20 seconds..
If I turn off sat nav while that screen shows. Wait 20 secs then turn back on, I get the screen "CD-Reading error. Please change CD." and the disc does not auto eject.
>
>Ive tried turning back off for 20 secs, but this screen doesn’t go

Am i at a loss of trying, or am i missing a trick?

Cheers guys

Guess i should have just shelled out to start with and got the gen original.

Cheers

Tel

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Sounds like a Micky Mouse copy. Buy the real McCoy

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They are copies, and the early 2.5 will not read copies, you should send them back, if you can get hold of a 2010 genuine disc, they have TMC and very good

OP
Boydonegood

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cheers guys

Oh well, was wishful thinking then! Ill have to keep eye open for a 2010 original disc.

Thanks
Tel

richardN2O

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL55 AMG Kompressor
I'm confused, are you saying that yours does NOT use a standard size of CD?
I just bought a genuine Bosch CD/DX 2011/2012 set for my 2003 CL55 from a shop local £125.
With these you can enter the first 4 digits of a post code, which is not ideal, but a vast improvement :)

Last edited:
OP
Boydonegood

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yeah it's standard size, but think the newer versions are DVD?

The backup/copy discs don't even spin up. But the original 2002 cd Dx does

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
are you saying that yours does NOT use a standard size of CD?

No they are all the same size, the reflective qualities of the copies is not high enough for a 3 or 2.5 to read, and this has always been the case-

The laser gain was set just high enough to read the real thing.

maysons

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 W164 ML 350CDI Airmatic Grand Edition.
Sat nav

Just to intervene this thread a little, I have just bought a Feb 2011 ML G Edition and wondered if there was a way to check the stealer has updated the maps when it was serviced mid November when purchased. Apparently it's free for first three years. In other words, will the system show the current maps update status. Cheers for any info.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Just to intervene this thread a little, I have just bought a Feb 2011 ML G Edition and wondered if there was a way to check the stealer has updated the maps when it was serviced mid November when purchased. Apparently it's free for first three years. In other words, will the system show the current maps update status. Cheers for any info.

Free updates for three years on the new ML (166) but no mention of that on the old model (164) in any of the literature that I have seen. But Grand Edition and run-out models may have been different. Ask customer service?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

You will be lucky if they did, most dealers never even turn them on to see if they work, and work on the premise the customer will bring it back if it does not

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
I'd suggest first looking at www.comandonline.co.uk to find out what is the most recent update available for your system (don't know which version of Comand is fitted to an ML - NTG something or other, my 2008 S204 has NTG4).

Then, assuming the engineers menu is accessed the same way as on my S204, press (all 3 at once) the phone hang-up, 1 and # keys on the main control panel (not the steering wheel buttons) and hold them for about 5 seconds, you'll hear a beep and the display will show the hidden engineers menu. Use the big silver button to access and scroll through, the small black back button next to the silver one to go back 1 step, you'll find the maps version in there somewhere. Mine said 07Q2 - 2007 2nd quarter (it doesn't now, but that's another story...)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The DX versions are CD based from about 1998 to mid 2004, after this date they changed to the APS DVD system and the two are not compatible.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
In case the link ever disappears, important bits are:-
MB Website 01 June 2010
From model year 2011, Mercedes-Benz provides the new, free update for the navigation maps for new cars in all model series equipped with COMAND APS. This applies in 39 European countries, and for three years from the date of first registration. The price benefit for this map update amounts to several hundred Euro. Since it is vehicle-specific, this update entitlement is also transferable to the new owner if the vehicle is sold prior to the end of the three-year period.

Thanks to the new map update program, the current map data is automatically uploaded during a regular service visit. Mercedes-Benz will also use the web to inform customers when a new update is available. On customer request, updates can also be provided by a Mercedes-Benz partner outside the normal service intervals.

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/...fering-free-comand-aps-map-updates-in-europe/

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And the map updates from " Satnav disc" at £25 work very well, just updated mine, if any others require an 2011 update for the NGT3 then you are welcome to the disc free, you just then pass it on to the next one :D:D

OP
Boydonegood

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have kinda give up using the incar Sat Nav..

Not really blaming the system, but the road syatem has changed so much since my 2002 disc to today, unless i upgrade, it really has made my 2002 system obsolete.

Guess ill have to buy a later disc when i see one, 2010 with the TMC would be nice, but am guessing anything newer may make using the system possible!!! but at moment any spare money is accounted for on trying to stop the wind noise through the drivers window!!!! Grrrrrr

Cheers

Tel

richardN2O

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL55 AMG Kompressor
Have kinda give up using the incar Sat Nav..
Not really blaming the system, but the road syatem has changed so much since my 2002 disc to today, unless i upgrade, it really has made my 2002 system obsolete. Guess ill have to buy a later disc when i see one, 2010 with the TMC would be nice, but am guessing anything newer may make using the system possible!!! but at moment any spare money is accounted for on trying to stop the wind noise through the drivers window!!!! Grrrrrr
I had exactly the same problems, must be a CL thing.
Think I said I got a 2012 disc locally, tried to make a copy, but as Malcolm rightly said, it didn't work.
Drivers wind noise has been reduced using Gimmi Phfedge, but a small piece of the window rubber looks damaged, Idearly I need to compare with someone else

Last edited:
OP
Boydonegood

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Na, have tried 2 copy discs.. Both waste of time, then Malc advised that copies never do, so i gave up.

Have just seen the gen 2012 for £150, but as say, the money is spent on other bits. Plus looking to change the Range middle of the year, so its essentials only at the moment.

Did the Gimmi help?! Ive just brought some, havent tried it yet tho! Was it instantly noticeable?

richardN2O

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL55 AMG Kompressor
Gummi made it better and did it just in time for our current freeze. As both CL & BMW are pillarless it made getting in that much easier. When weather improves I will add another coat of the stuff. We live off and are on quite a steep hill, so for now the cars are grounded, back to the trusty L200 4x4 :)

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom