How to change plastic fuel lines on CDI engine Part 2

T1M4

Reaction score

These two pipes are held in by two clips be careful when removing them that you unclip them from the top because they will break if tried to be unclipped from the bottom.
As you can see from the picture above the clip on the pipe is different to that of the first pipe to get this out, you need an 8mm socket and remove the bolt this then removes the cover and allows the pipe to be removed.

The other end of this pipe is the same as the first pipe. However, I was not able to remove it because I could not push the white clip forward enough, so I cut the pipe this allowed me to turn the clip and remove it.

The next pipe also has a different fitting on one end of it, there is no white part to the clip so this means that at the back of the pipe you need to push the clip so that it releases it and you are able to remove it.

This is the fitting as you can see the fitting gets pushed in at the back and this brings the sides out so that the pipe will come out.
I could not remove the pipe by pushing the clips in so I broke the clips off allowing me to remove the pipe.

At this point both of these pipes need to be changed at the same time because on is behind the other one.

Once all of the pipes are on your engine will have four clean pipes.

May be a good idea to change the fuel filter at this time if it’s anywhere near due. Once your finished all that remains is to crank the engine sufficiently to purge the air. Remember not to crank for too long so as to overheat your starter. Give it a few long cranks then rest for a minute or so. If your battery is not in good order you may find it runs out of charge before the engine fires in which case your going to have to re-charge and try again -- Good Luck !!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Interested in this DIY thread - but the photos referred to are no longer present. Makes the thread hard to understand.

Baz

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Interested in this DIY thread - but the photos referred to are no longer present. Makes the thread hard to understand.

Baz

Have you no imagination at all baz ;)

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Plenty, Malcolm! I sometimes imagine that I'm driving a quality car that never goes wrong!

unfortunately, I am in the middle of sorting all my fuel lines, after snapping one when changing my thermostat. Air is now getting into the system. Changing all the 'O'-rings tomorrow, and hoping.

Thank goodness for my old faithful JapJeep - as reliable as sunshine.

Baz

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
Baz

I had the same problem so I added a couple of pics to the discussion thread from when I did mine. They don't tie in exactly to the original thread but may help you.:

Fuel pipe pics

The pics are in post 16 and 17

Dave

leigh_f

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 ml270cdi
hi were the hoses quick to get hold of?
many thanks

jonclancy

Reaction score
Late to the party

Yes, the dealer has them in stock.

But they are NOT cheap for what they are. Over £40 for the one with the pressure test point, and around £23 for the one from filter to pump.

I'm trying to fit the one I broke the clip on, while fitting the filter to pump line.

It's a PITA as the line runs underneath the pump. I'm currently struggling to remove the radiator shroud to gain better access the the clip underneath the pump.

BAZZER1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi AVANTGARDE SELECT
Why do they make things so difficult ?? Is it a Merc Thing
BAZZER1

davrob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 2003 270CDI
ML Fuel line photos

Very useful, thanks. I have four ML fuel lines to change. Is there anyway to still see the photographs?

Thanks

Davrob

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Why do they make things so difficult ?? Is it a Merc Thing
BAZZER1

Just poor design and cost-cutting on the W210. Sadly.

the thing is, it probably would have been cheaper, and certainly simpler, to have just fitted proper attachments to the pump etc, and just had rubber hose connected to it with a crimp on type or small jubilee clip. so a bit of both. its a merc thing AND its poor design, IMO. not sure about it cutting costs though

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
I replaced all the plastic pipes on my previous w203 with nitrile pipe. I just cut the connectors off and fitted them to the nitrile, pulled them into place, cut and fitted the other end. I replaced the o rings and threw the test point on the tee branch away. Never had another problem after that. Total cost £3.00.

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom