Electronic hand brake caused damaged to Bakes

Mr Jack F Taylor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 C-class AMG Line Premium Plus 220d 9spd auto
Hi all,

I have recently got my first Mercedes C-class 220d new and done 6000miles in it.

Recently I have noticed vibrations through the brake peddle when depressed and the accelerator peddle. I am also getting it through the steering wheel.

I am doing mainly motorway miles and A-roads through the week and all sorts on the weekends.

I have taken my car to the dealership and they have said that the electronic parking has caused damaged to the disks because of the car being parked for a while... it hasn't been sat anymore than 2-3 days max.

Due to the damaged cause it is not covered under warranty and so I am going to have to pay for new disks. Also it will likely happen again if it is the handbrake.

I have got the photos they took of the disks and it would be really good to hear all your thoughts on what to do.

Thanks

Jack Screenshot_20190306-143847_Adobe Acrobat.jpg Screenshot_20190306-143847_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome, if it's shaking though the wheel it's unlikely the parking brake that's caused the issue as they're on the rear brakes.

MB are correct in that brakes aren't covered under warranty as they can't predict how the car will be driven.

Its' the front discs you'll be feeling not the rears.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Those pictures show pad deposition as well, which is normal when the pads are pressed against the discs for a long time. It does not seem to severe and will wear away in time.

As blobcat says, if you have a shake in the steering wheel, it will be coming from the front.

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
Two things come to mind, that looks like an awful lot of wear on those disks for only 6000 miles, although Mercedes disks are soft.
And, you can definitely see the outline of the pads on the disks and it does look like it's been sitting with the pads locked onto the disks for a good period of time.
I'm tempted to say that where the pads and disks have been parked together, corrosion has set in hence the vibration, but that won't cause vibration thru the steering

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
A new car with 6000 miles on it will not cause what they said, so that is nonsensical.

I think you need to move this up the food chain & email the Dealer Principle, say what you have said here & ask him for his opinion at which point the fact (as you said) the accelerator, brake pedal & steering wheel are vibrating might actually cause them to look a bit further!

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I have taken my car to the dealership and they have said that the electronic parking has caused damaged to the disks because of the car being parked for a while... it hasn't been sat anymore than 2-3 days max.

Leaving the car for 2-3 days (or any period) isn't exactly unusual - are they saying you can't do this? If so, that would render the car unfit for purpose.

Try a few hard stops, without actually coming to a stop, to clean up the discs. On both of our little used cars I look for regular opportunities to do this (when it's safe). I also generally don't use the handbrake (foot operated in my car, electric in wife's) unless the car is parked on a slope or somewhere where it rolling would be dangerous.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
As already said the front discs are warped if you can feel a vibration on the steering under braking. Whereabouts do you live if on the coast the salt air might eat into the rears when the parking brake is on but it won’t affect performance all mild steel brake discs corrode when stood but soon clean off when the car is used. The front discs may have warped if the car has been driven hard or the runout was very close to out of spec when fitted new.

You may have a problem convincing the dealer that the discs were faulty from new they are classed as consumables. I recall one member on here had the same issue with a new E Class he might post how he got on with the claim

Good luck with it sounds like it’s spoilt what’s been a good experience with the car overall

OP
M

Mr Jack F Taylor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for all your comments guys.

They have said the damage in the picture is the result of the hand brake. It automatically apply when you turn the car off. To have it parked for a few days and it do damage is a little bit of a poor design choice if you ask me.

I know brakes do this and you get the dust off them after the first few times of braking.

The car really has only do 6000 miles and I certainly don't rag it around. It's far too much of a nice car to risk bashing it by driving like it was stolen haha.

They are currently pulling apart the rest of the car to find out the rest but was fairly sure it's the disks causing the braking vibration as I have compressed the disks.

It's totally ridiculous you spend 40k on a car and it's brakes are like cheese. Never had this problem with other cars!!

OP
M

Mr Jack F Taylor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Certainly not gonna be best impressed if I have to purchase new disks.... £150 each.... I should coco.

We shall see how it goes. Cars due back on Saturday and I am fairly sure it won't be corrected. Stuff just isn't manufactured properly these days.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
If the car is parked up with wet discs say after washing or if rain comes into contact with discs this can happen. Might clean up a bit but won’t disappear

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
think you are being fed a pack of lies here , any one of my cars can be sat upto a fortnight without moving , handbrake on , absolutely no issues with brakes at all , stop being fobbed off and complain like hell , its a new car for f's sake

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi Jack and welcome to the forum. I'm with most of the others in that this shouldn’t happen. My car is sometimes left in the garage for a week with the handbrake on (as was my previous one) and I wouldn’t expect to have the problems you are having. As you say, the car applies the handbrake automatically when you switch off the engine so I think it’s up to them to prove that you are doing something wrong.

You may have to be persistent with this and become annoying but this just shouldn’t happen and is certainly not normal. Good luck!

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Later mercs the handbrake works on the rear callipers/pads which are open to the elements and thus the discs can corrode when left with water on them. If and I say if this corrosion is the cause of the judder, I can’t see it being covered under warranty.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Those pics show the same issue on all 4 discs therefore we can rule out parking brake as that only operates on the rear wheels.
That looks to me like the after effects of parking up for a period with wet discs/pads or with very hot discs/pads when left.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The handbrake may not be the issue here but the rust on the discs could be.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
when safe try bimbling around with yr foot on the brake for a while ,might clean it off , nothing to loose dont do it for long periods. on a while off longer, as for electronic handbrakes not yr issue i think ,however in my view electronic handbrakes is just another DTF issue fr me and i aint having such thing ,cable been doing grand for some yrs .and PARK in autos pretty effective too . i remember yrs ago some taffy parking up his scraper " EMERGENCY " brake u/s !and heading for the tea hut . drop the box then says I . 4 mtre blade , ,fairly effective emergency brake that...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
It sounds suspiciously like what happened to our then new 65 plate E class. Front discs causing judder. MB claimed they had warped due to my driving style. They hadn’t, I put them on a Faro arm and both contained inclusions. So I replaced them (warranty refused) and had no problems for the remainder of my time with the car.

@CowleyStJames where is your fact and data to claim that MB discs are soft? I have fact and data to show matallurgically they’re directly comparable to their entire competitor range...

OP
M

Mr Jack F Taylor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks again all,

I am really unimpressed with the attitude of its a definite no no from warranty. You spend money and expect quality etc... unless I am going mad.

Garage was meant to phone back today with more info. Still heard nothing shall chase tomorrow and feed back.

I would say Craig that having imperfections in the disks would almost be a recall/no go step on QC. Surprised they got the factory.

I will not be paying money for new disks And if needs must I'll get the finance company involved and make them deal with it.

Sales of goods act, fair use policy etc

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Having rust on the discs have given mb a get out clause.
Those two piece discs are fragile, instructions with new discs state you have to handle them a certain way, replace if dropped and to push the Caliper piston back a certain way.
I feel your pain but I think it’s going to be a hard fight.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
With the others on this. Shouldn’t be like that and sod all to do with parking brake- if they don’t replace the discs they should at least have them skimmed and new pads fitted I’d say( won’t help if warped though) - how’s the rest of the car - happy?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom