Fuel gauge

Big Cheese

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
After changing my dead battery, I've been left with the fuel gauge showing full all the time the car is on.
Anybody else encountered this and have the fix?
Or is there a reset procedure that needs to be followed?
Any insight greatly appreciated.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Not sure about MB's. But on Land Rovers if the live is not connected to the sender it always reads full.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
After changing my dead battery, I've been left with the fuel gauge showing full all the time the car is on.

Mine reads empty then I jump started it from engine bay jump points and it started to work again but then stopped again.

colin ling

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 280 CDI 2008

Good morning
On my 2008 ML the rear Sam got damp and the fuel guage read higher than it should
The same Sam fault also caused the nearside rear door lock to play up and set off the alarm
The ML was in a garage where I could not hear the alarm and it flattened the battery
A new Sam cured the fault
Good luck

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Good morning
On my 2008 ML the rear Sam got damp and the fuel guage read higher than it should
The same Sam fault also caused the nearside rear door lock to play up and set off the alarm
The ML was in a garage where I could not hear the alarm and it flattened the battery
A new Sam cured the fault
Good luck

Did you go for a used Sam or new one if used would you share what it cost to buy and code in.

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Before you even think of fitting a new SAM I would find out and rectify where the water is getting in. Common sources are rear light cluster and 3rd (high level) brake light.

Cost of a new SAM from MB is +/-£490 + coding (still haven’t had mine coded yet as most things still seem to work straight out of the box.

Mark

colin ling

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 280 CDI 2008
Did you go for a used Sam or new one if used would you share what it cost to buy and code in.
I went for a Mercedes refurbished from a main dealer. It seems MB sell some parts refurbished / repaired mine cost £283 from MB Oxford. Coding was at an Indi and was not simple, some things did not work 1st time, but were sorted 2nd time, I cannot remember cost but it only takes half an hour. Its surprising how many things the rear Sam works, ie the front seats, you would assume there is a list somewhere but I assume it depends on the spec of the vehicle
With regards to water leak I think it was rear lamp cluster, Mercedes now have an extra thick rubber gasket for the problem, they know all about the problem and my local MB main dealer keeps the Sam in stock and told me they sell a lot of them.
I moved the Sam to an upright position near the rear fuse panel and it has a piece of modern breathable roofing membrane over it. The wires are long enough to move it, just do it gently when repositioning the cables

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Try one thing first .If its petrol engine that is , tip in 1/2 a bottle of RED-X in the tank fill up and see how it goes. The gum up inside and it stops the float from going down when fuel gets less

OP
B

Big Cheese

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
I've had the rear sam unit checked & comes back with a clean bill of health,sender unit checked & that also showing ok,star diagnosis done & still no fault but fuel gauge still shows full all the time.
Anyone have any idea's?

OP
B

Big Cheese

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
I've tried the battery reset,still no good.
I will have to give the gauge a sharp tap,hopefully not to sharp though.;)

Jimkato1980

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 2001 C320 4Matic
Same issue for me no gauge...
Had fuel pump issue and replaced both pump and sender units with Bosch parts (that I was told reliably by eBay Garage “fit my car”). They fitted the main power pin just fine but “internally” were both a newer design than my originals, slight different hose clamps and pin connectors between the 2 modules.

Installed at correct angle with line up markers no issues there.

Fuel and pressure 100% fine now but after a bit of reading it seems my new hardware speaks a different language to my Original 2001 SAM and it needs re-programming? (Different values in the new and old resistors perhaps?)....

... Local indie flat denied it as a probable cause after my 2 minute conversation with him on the phone.
.....any thoughts or past experiences!?

Symptoms are NO FUEL READING, filled up the tank and it read 3/4 then dropped off earlier than should. After future starting it would hover around the amber light area for a bit before falling off and eventually now just reads flat ZERO 90% of the time. After some miles of operation it may climb slightly but when ignition cycles Off/On then back to Zero.

OP
B

Big Cheese

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
I still haven't got round to getting mine sorted.Still read full all the time which in turn renders the trip computer useless.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom