How to tell what engine I've got? E350 diesel...

Bopo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDi AMG Night Premium Plus (Sept 2015) with GAD Tuning re-map. Definitely not double badged.
Sounds like a daft question...

I've been looking up details of my Merc with half an eye on getting it remapped or (more likely) just buying some slightly upgraded service parts to keep it running smoother for longer, but I'm now utterly baffled as to what I've actually got.

My '65 plate E350 has 'E350 Bluetec' on the back which I think makes it some variant of a W212.

It has a 9-speed box.

Wikipedia says the W212 'E350 Bluetec' is 208bhp

Parkers list it at 254 bhp

Lots of tuners refer to a 265 bhp model as well, or a 231 bhp model.

I am totally confused. Is there any definitive way to tell exactly what engine/tune I've got?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Vin number, that is the sure fire way to tell your engine.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The Blutec OM642 engine derivative is rated at 252bhp with urea injection, it’s predecessor the OM642 Blueffiency engine was indeed rated at 265bhp, yours is the former version. You certainly have the best gearbox the 9 speed is a gem

OP
Bopo

Bopo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDi AMG Night Premium Plus (Sept 2015) with GAD Tuning re-map. Definitely not double badged.
Thanks both!

I tend to read forum posts from the bottom up so the first advice I saw was Blobcat's sig, telling me to "snap the tit out of it". Now, I can confirm that my E350 shoves my arse back into the seat when I press the angry pedal, but sadly my arse hasn't been calibrated for years...

I have my VIN, which I put into a decoder web-site and it gives me an engine serial number (I think) and also a code "M014 - Increased engine performance", amongst others.

Back to Blobcat's comment: what can I actually learn from the VIN regarding engine and how do I do it?

[Edit] Gearbox: yes, I absolutely love this thing. It is an engineering work of wonder. Very fast smooth changes, goes into headbanging mode very swiftly but is also happy to stick it in 6th (!) at 30mph for 800rpm pootling. 70mph is 1200rpm in 9th, which is lovely for my long drives to the office.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks both!

I tend to read forum posts from the bottom up so the first advice I saw was Blobcat's sig, telling me to "snap the tit out of it". Now, I can confirm that my E350 shoves my arse back into the seat when I press the angry pedal, but sadly my arse hasn't been calibrated for years...

I have my VIN, which I put into a decoder web-site and it gives me an engine serial number (I think) and also a code "M014 - Increased engine performance", amongst others.

Back to Blobcat's comment: what can I actually learn from the VIN regarding engine and how do I do it?

[Edit] Gearbox: yes, I absolutely love this thing. It is an engineering work of wonder. Very fast smooth changes, goes into headbanging mode very swiftly but is also happy to stick it in 6th (!) at 30mph for 800rpm pootling. 70mph is 1200rpm in 9th, which is lovely for my long drives to the office.
You’ll do well here :D

Put your vin into this vin decoder and it will spit out the details of your car and engine.

The 9 speed box is a marvel, I particularly like the “Manual knocked into neutral” coasting it does. Great fool economy I used to get (until I saw the light...):rolleyes:

OP
Bopo

Bopo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You’ll do well here :D

Hope so. :)

Put your vin into this vin decoder and it will spit out the details of your car and engine.

Yeah, I did that <clicketty-click> but I still can't work out what it tells me about the engine. Can you help?

The 9 speed box is a marvel, I particularly like the “Manual knocked into neutral” coasting it does. Great fool economy I used to get (until I saw the light...):rolleyes:

Umm, was the light a manual one?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Yes MB have eventually caught up with the ZF 8 speed unit it is just as good

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hope so. :)

Yeah, I did that <clicketty-click> but I still can't work out what it tells me about the engine. Can you help?

Umm, was the light a manual one?

Engine is OM642 rest after that is the variant and serial number

83806A47-F884-4B4F-AD06-286DDFB62C93.jpeg

The “light” was a V6 petrol... :D

Manual and Mercedes go together like anchovies and ice cream :eek: You could but why would you :rolleyes:

OP
Bopo

Bopo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Manual and Mercedes go together like anchovies and ice cream :eek: You could but why would you :rolleyes:

Strangely hungry now...

More seriously, with apologies for asking daft questions but I'm trying to learn this stuff: I can see my OM642 engine code but it seems to have been used in so many different applications, from 201 to 265 bhp.

How can you tell which one mine is?

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
E350 Coupe CDI / Land-Rover Discovery 4 / Nissan Skyline 650bhp R.I.P.
Yours is an E350cdi Bluetec, so it uses adblue and has 254bhp.......until you visit GAD ;)

OP
Bopo

Bopo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yours is an E350cdi Bluetec, so it uses adblue and has 254bhp.......until you visit GAD ;)

Reading about GAD is what got me stuck in this rabbit-hole in the first place.

While deferring to everybody else's superior knowledge on Merc, the engineer in me still wants to know how you can tell which OM642 engine is which.

upload_2019-4-4_23-32-35.png

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
By age and badging is generally enough to know which it is. Another recommendation for GAD from me...

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Sounds like a daft question...

I am totally confused. Is there any definitive way to tell exactly what engine/tune I've got?

In with your information Pack received with your vehicle, there should have been an A5 bright Yellow folder containing the EU Certificate of Conformity where on P2, 27 you will find the declared Nominal Output rating in kW.

Crispian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 Ml63 AMG with performance package
I have the same engine as yours,252hp officially, it initially made a little over 260hp on the rollers before the re map.

OP
Bopo

Bopo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In with your information Pack received with your vehicle, there should have been an A5 bright Yellow folder containing the EU Certificate of Conformity where on P2, 27 you will find the declared Nominal Output rating in kW.

Ooh, I love a good Certificate of Conformity. And there it is: nominally rated at 190kW @ 3400rpm, or 255bhp in feet and inches.

I'll stop worrying about it now... :)

I have the same engine as yours,252hp officially, it initially made a little over 260hp on the rollers before the re map.

By age and badging is generally enough to know which it is. Another recommendation for GAD from me...

How much did remapping affect your insurance? Might be worth another thread on this...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How much did remapping affect your insurance? Might be worth another thread on this...
That can be specific to whatever brand of insewerance you've gone with, best way to find out is give your's a call and ask them. It can depend upon how big a change you make in power output as to how much more folding they desire from you. Some of them can be confused by the call but you should be able to get a valid answer eventually... Others can be completely on the ball and tell you straight off what (if any...) difference it will make.

Crispian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 Ml63 AMG with performance package
Iirc they walloped a full £50 on the premium.

For some reason,because it has AMG in the title,(E350 bluetec AMG line:rolleyes: it carrys a premium anyhow,even though its diesel :mad:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom