Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Yeah I'd imagine so, my indy replaced a bust brake pipe 2 weeks ago and replaced it. Why is it supposed to be clear and half full?
Thanks

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yeah I'd imagine so, my indy replaced a bust brake pipe 2 weeks ago and replaced it. Why is it supposed to be clear and half full?
Thanks
There will be a marker level on the side of the reservoir , and new brake fluid is not dark unless it's old . It's normally a change every 2-3 years .

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
20190304_152034.jpg 20190304_152041.jpg
Just been had a look. The fluid is clear and it seems it's quite full prob over the max level. I live on a hill that's why it looks higher to the right.

Bopo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDi AMG Night Premium Plus (Sept 2015) with GAD Tuning re-map. Definitely not double badged.
I've been watching endless Youtube vids on engine detailing, trying to screw up the courage to spray the APC around and give it a light jet wash.

What is putting me off is that you need to cover any sensitive electrical bits before doing this... and I don't know where they are.

I'm not a mechanical numpty, but I'm really struggling to find what, if anything, I would need to cover up with clingfilm, foil etc.

I think part of the problem is that there's so little access around the engine. Should I remove the engine cover(s) to get better access before cleaning?

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I've been watching endless Youtube vids on engine detailing, trying to screw up the courage to spray the APC around and give it a light jet wash.

What is putting me off is that you need to cover any sensitive electrical bits before doing this... and I don't know where they are.

I'm not a mechanical numpty, but I'm really struggling to find what, if anything, I would need to cover up with clingfilm, foil etc.

I think part of the problem is that there's so little access around the engine. Should I remove the engine cover(s) to get better access before cleaning?

I'd be concerned if the electrical connectors were not water tight tbh. If you clean it and lightly rinse as might be expected from road spray I'm pretty certain it will be OK. I did mine like this without issue but do expect problems if you jet wash at full power into the electrics.

Spray with your cleaner of choice, work in with brushes if needed then rinse off as lightly as you can.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have given the engine a light jet wash in the past , spraying from a distance after using APC or degreasant . One point to watch is the oil filler cap , which can collect water in the rubber seal around it .
If I were you first time , why not leave the cover on which will cover most electrics and concentrate the cleaner around the actual engine bay . Fold a microfibre cloth over the oil filler cap , which will stop water pooling there .
There are people who would never jetwash an engine , I do , but from a distance as more of a mist .

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0

Yes , I must admit to have chickened out on this aspect as well. I restrict engine bay cleaning to waterless wax and and a wipe over. You're bound to get better access for cleaning by removing the engine covers though.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Not one for jet washing under a bonnet myself, as LK, maintenance spray and lots of rags has got to be the way to go, your also more likely to spot potential problems this way, its good preventative maintenance.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
If that is ACF50 Jon then top marks. I bought some and fully recommend it.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Almost identical then!

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
I have given the engine a light jet wash in the past , spraying from a distance after using APC or degreasant . One point to watch is the oil filler cap , which can collect water in the rubber seal around it .
If I were you first time , why not leave the cover on which will cover most electrics and concentrate the cleaner around the actual engine bay . Fold a microfibre cloth over the oil filler cap , which will stop water pooling there .
There are people who would never jetwash an engine , I do , but from a distance as more of a mist .
@Wighty where in the engine bay would I find the ECU plug? The stupid car went into limp mode again this morning but soon as I turned it on and off it's been fine all day. I want to check the plug as last time this happened and the same code came up my Indy said my ECU plug was dirty he cleaned it and it been fine for 6 weeks.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom