Fault Codes P2188 & P2190

jjayp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230 2.5 Estate 2006
Just had a B service, oil filters, air filters etc and two days later the following -
On start up revs high and low for about twenty seconds, never ever did that before.
Last night the dreaded engine management light came on.
Plugged the code reader in and P2188 system too rich at idle bank 1 & P2190 system too rich at idle bank 2 came on.
Is this the dreaded Mass Air Flow Meter problem (again) had it once already two years ago?
Or is this a case of filters not seated properly?
As usual any help much appreciated.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
What does the B service garage say about these?

OP
J

jjayp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230 2.5 Estate 2006
Waiting for their response but I would like to have the opinion of the members, is there a specific code for the mafs failure or would this be covered by the p2188/p2190 codes?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The MAF has its own set of codes.
To diagnose this properly you need to look at running values for airflow, fuel trims etc to see where cause lies. The MAF is often blamed for issues when it's a different component at fault

OP
J

jjayp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230 2.5 Estate 2006
I took a look under the bonnet, the engine cover wasn't seated properly, the air filters weren't seated properly either. Spoke to the garage and not impressed with their answers so won't be going there again. Anyway I reseated everything so that all fitted properly band the engine cover clicked into place. No more hunting revs on start up, I'll see how it runs this week and get it over to Wayne Gates who I should have gone to in the first place but distance was an issue.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Sorry for barging in on this thread...but can't see how or where to introduce a new thread on the same subject.....:confused::confused::confused:
As a matter of routine ( and the weather was V Good:) ) I hooked up my iCarsoft MB11 to the w212, and did a scan. Two codes showed up:- P200A78, and A10C17. I have tried to decipher them, but no luck. Anyone have the same experience? I have checked on the list " DTC code explained." But cannot find these two....o_O I have cleared them, and so far, they have stayed clear, but I will check again after a bit of driving.

OP
J

jjayp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230 2.5 Estate 2006
To follow up, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the car. The engine cover hadn't been replaced properly, saw on a usa mb forum exactly the same codes and issues after a service, once I fitted the cover properly the revs returned to normal, and after 200miles the engine light went off. Just wonder how many garages would have made me fork out for a new maf ! Anyhow all's well.

G M

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 280
It's the EGR valve getting stuck with exhaust gunk. I changed MAF, MAP, ignition coils, air filters, intake gaskets, or injector ring, cleaning and injector test, until I got to the egr I disassembled it on bank 1 and 2. The one on bank 1 caught my attention because it was dirtier and in the open position. It is easy to know if it is open because air passes from one hole to another. I put w40 on both and washed them with degreaser for 40 min in an ultrasonic tub, it is the only thing that results when they are clogged since a superficial cleaning does not eliminate the problem (I had already cleaned them with a carburetor cleaner, without ultrasound and it had not given me account that bank 1 was open). When this is left open, it generates a rich idle condition since the air inlet is filled with exhaust gases and pushes oxygen, so the sensors detect that there is a rich mixture, and the fuel adjustments are triggered to negative values, throwing these two codes. I inform you since it took me 2 months to repair it and find the fault and I spent a lot of money on spare parts.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom