Cycle rack for an SLK.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Surely much easier to buy a vehicle that fits to your lifestyle than do this?
"a vehicle"o_O I had 5 cars and 3 motorbikes to fit my lifestyle - "horses for courses" and "no compromises":D:p

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yep, surely an SLK is for fun like any two seater, if you're into biking or anything else that requires carrying an awkward load, then have another car.
I fit my mountain bike inside my 129....
(Took 30 minutes to reassemble though!)

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I fit my mountain bike inside my 129....
(Took 30 minutes to reassemble though!)
It's not too bad when you are on your own, but when there are two or three, it gets interesting. I'm really clumsy, so when I put things in and take out I usually knock the car. I've never carried my bikes in mine. Mate has a 335d touring, he likes estates as he can easily fit bike racks to it. I looked at a rear toe hitch and bike carrier for my Insignia, but the dealer wanted £900. Two friends have vans for work, so that negates the need at all now.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Many moons ago when I was travelling extensively I had managed to gain 5 stone in as many months. I had gone from a regular activity regime of paddling weekends and Weds evening, circuit training, cross country running and only drinking one night a week to driving a desk, a car, sitting in planes every other day, hotel bars, restaurants in Oz.

When my stint got extended and I was going to be based in Perth, WA for 7 months something had to change. I changed from hotels to a suite c/w kitchen to cut out restaurant meals and keep me out of bars. I bought a fold up mountain bike, a Rudge Bi-Frame that I could carry on to planes (benefits of Business Class and not giving a stuff about roolz when asked about the bike in my carry on bag). I had on long term hire a 2 seater Ford Capri soft top that the bike folded, fitted behind the seats that I would drive from work to the beach at Cottesloe, or Observation City, or Fremantle and I'd ride along the coast path for 20/30 miles an evening. On the weekends I'd assemble the bike in my suite, ride to the lift, go down to reception and ride out through the automatic door, turn left and go down to the path alongside the Swan river, round the WACA; or turn right and climb up into Kings Park and ride around there. Sunday morning cycle into Fremantle for breakfast.

When I got my Z3 I bought a Hollywood rack to mount 2 bikes on the boot lid, still have it.

The bike is currently on loan to my brother in law in Iceland for him to get fit recovering from surgery. May well bring it back in August if he doesn't need it as it will fold up and fit in our stateroom on the Queen Victoria.

A few takeaways, not the food type. Buy quality and never throw it away (the bike is 30 years old). As on another post my other bike and that of the the girls are on top of the W166 using Thule kit, and we have a VeloCompact tow bar mounted carrier that fits both our cars with tow bars.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Buy quality and never throw it away (the bike is 30 years old).
One of mines nudging 30 too. Mind you it's a bit Triggers broom... New wheels, bars, seat, seat post, gears, cranks, shifters, brakes, forks....
Only original part is the frame.
That said it's a mountain bike that's done a lot of off road miles, has travelled the world, been used in the Alps on several downhill runs, done most of the north of England, ,Scottish and Welsh bike park routes etc. I think it's allowed to wear things out :)

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One of mines nudging 30 too. Mind you it's a bit Triggers broom... New wheels, bars, seat, seat post, gears, cranks, shifters, brakes, forks....
Only original part is the frame.
That said it's a mountain bike that's done a lot of off road miles, has travelled the world, been used in the Alps on several downhill runs, done most of the north of England, ,Scottish and Welsh bike park routes etc. I think it's allowed to wear things out :)
Wow, you've taken it on some of the downhill run in the alps!! Is that a hard tail without any suspension travel on the front either?? Bikes should go on and on just as long as the frames don't give up, just the usual soft bearings that need replacing.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wow, you've taken it on some of the downhill run in the alps!! Is that a hard tail without any suspension travel on the front either?? Bikes should go on and on just as long as the frames don't give up, just the usual soft bearings that need replacing.
Yep. It went to Les Gets the first time we went. It's a 1990 Trek 8000 but I did retrofit some Marzocchi Superfly Z2 forks with a whole 50mm travel :)

Last time we went I took my carbon bike with 165mm front travel and 150mm rear. A much plusher experience...

I can thoroughly recommend Les Gets. The chair lifts are adapted to carry bikes safely, the scenery is stunning, nice pubs, great routes and a lot of variety too.

IMAG0535.jpg

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep. It went to Les Gets the first time we went. It's a 1990 Trek 8000 but I did retrofit some Marzocchi Superfly Z2 forks with a whole 50mm travel :)

Last time we went I took my carbon bike with 165mm front travel and 150mm rear. A much plusher experience...

I can thoroughly recommend Les Gets. The chair lifts are adapted to carry bikes safely, the scenery is stunning, nice pubs, great routes and a lot of variety too.

View attachment 50314
Looks superb, one of our group wants to organise a trip to Morzine, just never get round to sorting out the trip. What carbon bike do you have? I picked up one of those YT bikes two years ago, built to last, but a bit heavy.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.

View attachment 50314

Les Gets is good for intermediate skiers too ;)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looks superb, one of our group wants to organise a trip to Morzine, just never get round to sorting out the trip. What carbon bike do you have? I picked up one of those YT bikes two years ago, built to last, but a bit heavy.
Mines an ancient (now) Scott Ransom 20 which has been built up from scratch with parts I selected. It's not been used in 2 years as I damaged a knee so haven't been able to use it for anything strenuous so have used the old Trek instead.
IMAG0527.jpg

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now a 2005 55 plate C Class 220 CDI Estate Auto in Iridium Silver with Black Nappa Leather.
Surely much easier to buy a vehicle that fits to your lifestyle than do this?

Hi Capra. That is all well and good but for many many reasons not everyone can do that albeit with a little forethought one can have two vehicles;one of which will/can offer a considerable amount of flexibility in terms of potential load capacity capability as well as power on tap and supreme comfort in the Sports Seats for both passenger and driver as is the case with my 2001 BMW 330i Touring Automatic.
In the case of my 2004 SLK 230 Automatic it offers (with a SARIS Bones 2) an opportunity for safely carrying a lightweight cycle and also to enjoy the open air aspect that the BMW Touring cannot offer.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Capra. That is all well and good but for many many reasons not everyone can do that albeit with a little forethought one can have two vehicles;one of which will/can offer a considerable amount of flexibility in terms of potential load capacity capability as well as power on tap and supreme comfort in the Sports Seats for both passenger and driver as is the case with my 2001 BMW 330i Touring Automatic.
In the case of my 2004 SLK 230 Automatic it offers (with a SARIS Bones 2) an opportunity for safely carrying a lightweight cycle and also to enjoy the open air aspect that the BMW Touring cannot offer.
No worries, I was just thinking out loud really.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.

Welcome back OP, I thought you’d done one, your not getting an awful lot of support for your idea ?

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now a 2005 55 plate C Class 220 CDI Estate Auto in Iridium Silver with Black Nappa Leather.
Welcome back OP, I thought you’d done one, your not getting an awful lot of support for your idea ?

Hi vt. Thank you for your thoughts but I am a Scouser and whilst not thick in the head I am not easily got rid of.
My thick skin has been likened to that of a battle scared crocodile;loaded with unique markings but still flexible and ready for to parry off other attempts to injure.

The post was not created for any support but it was created because I have seen so many really really ugly cycle racks and believe that the SARIS range and especially the SARIS Bone 2 is one that will not do any measurable damage to the boot lid and rear bumper because of the way that it has been designed and constructed.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The post was not created for any support but it was created because I have seen so many really really ugly cycle racks and believe that the SARIS range and especially the SARIS Bone 2 is one that will not do any measurable damage to the boot lid and rear bumper because of the way that it has been designed and constructed.

Saris are excellent, Thule also do one like it

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-raceway-3-_-991002

I have a wagon so have one of these, no straps, just clip on, absolutely brilliant

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-clipon-3-9103-_-910301

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom