W203 and W204 Cdi's compared

peternutkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi estate 2001
I wonder if anyone has owned both and has any experiences of the pro's and con's. I have an early 203 estate, my first Merc and am impressed with it, especially the 70 mpg + I got on a recent trip to Scotland (I do drive a bit like a snail).

Repairing them myself is a necessity as I can't afford to do otherwise but I have been able to fix all the essential things so far.

I am even more impressed with the 204 claimed fuel consumption but what is it like to work on compared with the 203 and is the reliability as good?

My present 203 has no DMF or DPF but I'm pretty sure the 204 does, is this an additional source of problems?

Thanks

Peter

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Early w204s don't have dpf.

Dpfs just need proper driving. And they can be cleaned

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I wonder if anyone has owned both and has any experiences of the pro's and con's. I have an early 203 estate, my first Merc and am impressed with it, especially the 70 mpg + I got on a recent trip to Scotland (I do drive a bit like a snail).

Repairing them myself is a necessity as I can't afford to do otherwise but I have been able to fix all the essential things so far.

I am even more impressed with the 204 claimed fuel consumption but what is it like to work on compared with the 203 and is the reliability as good?

My present 203 has no DMF or DPF but I'm pretty sure the 204 does, is this an additional source of problems?

Thanks

Peter

Hello Peter, my 204 is the later model with an OM 651 engine as opposed to the earlier OM 646 which was discontinued in 2010, it is my first Mercedes so I'm unable to provide any comparisons to other models from a personal experience. one noticeable difference between the 646 and 651 is the change from a Duplex to a Simplex Timing Chain on the later model, currently the new OM 654 release, again with a Simplex Chain is providing me with a little more confidence in mine :)

Another big Change between the two is the 722.6 5g Auto to the 722.9 7g Auto, My Haynes Manual details a procedure to change the ATF in the 722.6 box but simply advises the owners to revert to MB for the 722.9 7g box as it is too complicated to deal with! But with the plethora of YT Video’s out there it is not quite as complicated as Haynes are suggesting, there are just a couple of tools that need to be sourced/manufactured in order to drain the three locations to drain and then re-fill.

All other general maintenance procedures look to be relatively straight forward, I tend to avoid motorways and travel mostly on the A road network and regularly achi eve >50 mpg without trying, I posted recently on the DPF thread and found after interrogating with my scanner that my car has never had a need to regenerate the DPF and have yet to be faced with an error message requiring attention, I hope this helps!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
they can be cleaned, but benz have organised it so that a driver(or tech ) forced(read efficient ) regen is not a follow the dash display guide,but a visit to benz or someone with online benz capability ( compulsory update check apparently, tho if ?deemed ok ,not updated )... which for me is just another we WILL catch you scheme attempt. tho someone will likely find a way to get around that. i understand that the car can do its own regen and frankly if the maker is ok with that ? i CANT see why we dont have an on screen menu to do the same ourselfs. i am fairly confident that the star forced version ? likely does a much better more efficient job whilst the current automated job is the very basic minimum job which likely leaves a certain amount of the harder to shift stuff to accumulate to the point we have to join the b.end over line at the dealer , i am a known cynic,so thats only my view.

if you do mainly longer runs at reasonable steady speeds/temps there is likely significantly less hassle from the DPF . and the opposite if shorter runs and hence cooler temps , so its b/useless if yr mainly doing the 5 mile school run. IS that in the sales brochure ?
as others on here point out ,if few daily miles buy a modern petrol ,not a modern diesel. again, just how I see it..

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
I went from an early 203 with the 611 to an early 204 with the 646, both manual boxes. You won't beat the 203 fuel economy, but the 204 feels much better quality in the cabin, more modern looking and great chassis to drive. Im happy sacrificing the extra fuel for the rest. (Fuel is still decent)

OP
P

peternutkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi estate 2001
Thanks for that, very informative. The fuel consumption figures given for the 204 sound incredible I wonder if they match the spec? I only drive at about 60 mph and max 2000 rpm, I find it a lot less stressful on the motorway. Most of the journeys we do are reasonably long, we live out in the sticks and to town and back is about 15 miles

Mine would be manual, I have no chance of repairing an auto box and the manual fuel consumption should be better, although I'm told the auto's are now improved.

I found the fuel consumption on this one incredible, we also run a a Peugeot 406 estate and that only manages a bit above 60 mpg with a lot less power and a lighter car. Does anyone know what year the started using the DPF on the 204?

Peter

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
The 204 is a much better car all round. Much nicer interiors, engines are fine if servicing is kept on top of. Even engines with DPFs are reliable but do need keeping an eye on.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that, very informative. ... Does anyone know what year the started using the DPF on the 204?
Peter
The W204 OM646 met Euro 4 emission standards in (I believe) 2002/3 with the introduction of the EGR and DPF.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What I would say for maintaining yourself is that the 204 is much more computerised, so I'd recommend a code reader, even a simple one. Very useful if one of the many sensors causes an eml.

I'll have an mbii for sale come July, and a Haynes manual.

Things like brakes, suspension, filters etc are fairly easy.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The W204 OM646 met Euro 4 emission standards in (I believe) 2002/3 with the introduction of the EGR and DPF.

Much later than that, seeing as the 204 wasn't about until 07 :)

DPFs around 2010

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Much later than that, seeing as the 204 wasn't about until 07 :)

DPFs around 2010
My apologies, I was looking into the history of the OM 646 earlier which prompted my answer but of course it was in the earlier W203 at that time.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
Hi,
I had a w203 and currently have a w204. Both were/are c220 cdi saloons.
The w203 had the om646 engine and the w204 has the om651 engine.

The w203 was very economical - I often got over 70 mpg on a long run. Mine had the auto box which was entirely trouble free in my ownership - as was the entire car. I did all the servicing myself including changing the ATF.

The w204 is even more economical - I have often seen over 80 mpg on a long run. That is on the on board computer which I have found to be optimistic by about 10% - I also monitor the fuel economy over my ownership using fill-to-fill measurement.
My w204 is the facelift from 2011 which has stop/start which I like. Most of my normal use is around town and it is more stress free during long stops at lights or other delays not to have the car belching out fumes and wasting fuel.
The w204 is manual - not as relaxing a drive but much easier to control the stop/start operation.

It has a DPF which in my 3 years of ownership hasn't given any problems. I just drive the car normally - mostly in town with the occasional long run (every couple of months).

The only fault on mine in the 3 years was a temp sensor in the exhaust manifold failed. The part was about €100 and I fitted it myself.
I do all the servicing myself - including changing the back axle oil and the manual gearbox oil.

It was recommended above to get a code reader. I have an iCarsoft i980 which was about £90 and has paid for itself many times. I also have an S212 with the same engine and previously had an S211 with the om646 so it has been of use for a long time over a number of cars.

The w204 and in particular the facelift model is a good car - looks well, comfortable, economical and reliable.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Had three 203's - one was the estate version with the 5 cylinder 2.7 engine (MB's secret economy package, from which I regularly got well over 70mpg with spirited driving and huge dollops of torque), and the others had the 646 engine. All had the 722.6 gearbox.

203's are fun to drive, but having sold them and bought a 204, with the same 646 engine and 5g box, I find the 204 easier to drive. Economy and performance are little changed. I would gladly have another 203 if it was pristine, because they grow on you - but I would hesitate to buy another 204. They are better cars with more equipment, but not so involving as the earlier model.

Subjectively, the 203 was the last elegant Mercedes made. They're all getting too 'bullish' and bling-decorated now.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Had three 203's - one was the estate version with the 5 cylinder 2.7 engine (MB's secret economy package, from which I regularly got well over 70mpg with spirited driving and huge dollops of torque), and the others had the 646 engine. All had the 722.6 gearbox.

203's are fun to drive, but having sold them and bought a 204, with the same 646 engine and 5g box, I find the 204 easier to drive. Economy and performance are little changed. I would gladly have another 203 if it was pristine, because they grow on you - but I would hesitate to buy another 204. They are better cars with more equipment, but not so involving as the earlier model.

Subjectively, the 203 was the last elegant Mercedes made. They're all getting too 'bullish' and bling-decorated now.

+1 on the 270. Our courtesy car is one. It's mapped up to its eyeballs and surprises me every time I drive it, and it often gives 60+mpg..

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Come end June if you give me £2500 you can have my 2008 w204 c220cdi auto. 87k, FSH and loads of work done, couple of things need sorting and it should last another 10 years. I'll throw in the code reader, some brembo front pads and the Haynes manual.

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
I have had 3 C class, a 03 C270 W203 estate, a 07 plate C200 W203 estate and now a 14 plate C220 W204 estate. The C270 was good, with good mileage, but it got the rust worm, and no matter what I did to it, as soon as you turned your back, the rust would come through again, so off it went. The C200, I bought because the price was right, was under powered and struggled to get the mileage of the C270. The latest C220 has good mileage, but about the same as the 5 cylinder 270. My C220 has not got the DPF but the tax is cheaper than the C200, but I am not exempt from that there London charge, but as I don`t go there I`m not bothered. Servicing and running maintenance, I pretty much do almost all my self, but as I`m a long way over 21, some jobs I take to my local garage to save me crawling underneath like I used to. I still find mercs pretty basic to work on although they do have there own particular characteristic occasionally. I`ve bought one of those cheapo code readers, and `touch wood`, I`ve managed to sort out the one or two clinches that have cropped up. All mine had auto gearboxes, this latest the 7 gear.To change the atf I took it to a auto guy just up the road, and have had no problems.

Last edited:

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Had a 2002 c220 w203 estate for 10 years. Only got rid of it due to rusting. had 272,000 and drove lovely.
bought a w204 c220 estate, but the facelift model as personally I hated the interior of the 05-2011 model, just too much in the way of huge slabs of ugly plastic in the centre part of the dash.
As for the cars, I cant think of anything where the w203 was better.
The extra power with the 204 means its some 2.5 secs quicker to 60 with what appears to be so far a very nice 7 speed auto verses the old 5 speed w203.
Cant get any more mpg out of the w204 than the w203 did. Road tax is £100 less , or just £30 a year if you get the right variant! The insurance is also a lot cheaper?
Dpf and short journeys are no problem, just put your foot down occasionally for a short burst and the dpf stays clear.

OP
P

peternutkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi estate 2001
Thanks for all the extra posts, I hadn't seen them as for some reason the ended up in the junk mail.:oops: The information has been very useful.

I was looking at the fuel consumption of the blue something? engines and the economy seems amazing - if its true, I am averaging about 60 mpg with my 203, even 70 mpg + on our trip to Scotland but a do drive a bit carefully so I am wondering whether the 204 will give me any improvement as economy is what I'm about.

I am still managing to repair anything that has come my way so far but I am 80 so I don't know for how much longer.

Thanks again for all your help.

Peter

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
I am still managing to repair anything that has come my way so far but I am 80 so I don't know for how much longer.

yOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO ALL OF US WHO ARE NOT GETTING ANY YOUNGER.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
The Mercedes term on the W204 was 'Blue Efficiency'. They changed the term they use now to 'BlueTec' which uses Adblue.

I think that 'Blue Efficiency' added the DPF and EGR to reduce the CO2 and NoX as well as other features including stop/start in the later phases.

The reduced emissions technology probably harmed fuel efficiency but the other features did improve MPG. The W204 is more economical but overall there isn't a dramatic difference in fuel economy between the W203 and the W204.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom