Is there any point in engine under tray and is it easy to remove - w124 300D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Having messily changed a diesel pipe and got that everywhere and with a car that leaks a tiny bit of oil, I am fed up fo the engine under tray which now seems to hold all that dieselly oil gunk in the bottom. Then whenever it rains or i pressure wash it fills up to about 1/2" of water mixed with that stuff and then slowly leaks it out the front when parked at different angles. I'd prefer just to have whatever may/may not leak drip onto the road and then I'll know exactly if there's a problem and how big it is instead of now where I don't know how much is rain water mixed with old leaked stuff and how much if any is actually leaking now.

Is there any reason why I can't just take it off (does it protect electronics from rain water?) and if so is it relatively easy (a few bolts from under the car?) or a slightly more complicated task?

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's there to direct airflow under the car to aid cooling, stability at speed and economy.

Even in a 1987 W124? I thought that was a thing of today and they didn't think about it back then?

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You could drill some holes in it at the lowest points.

Peter

Thanks, good idea I suppose i could do that. Not sure why it doesn't already have them (unless it does and they're blocked?)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Yes the undertrays can be problematic holding water as I recall the 210 which was prone to rust at the best of times suffered front crossmember rot due to water collecting in the undertray. These things tend to happen due to poor coordination between design departments, ask me how I know lol

As already said the remedy was to drill a few holes in the undertray to allow for drainage

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
They're also for noise reduction

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
They're also for noise reduction
Which is ironic because the Audi A4 that went past me on the M1 was making a hell of a noise as the under-shield was dragging the road - driver blissfully unaware... (Probably did the company car drive fix - turn the radio up...):rolleyes::D:p

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
Which is ironic because the Audi A4 that went past me on the M1 was making a hell of a noise as the under-shield was dragging the road - driver blissfully unaware... (Probably did the company car drive fix - turn the radio up...):rolleyes::D:p

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Remove it - you will notice no difference on most, especially an aged OM 602/3.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
every time i wash mine the day after when i move off there is a trail of water up the drive, which i now ignore, that will prob catch me out at some point....... if i remember will drill hole next time i get chance.

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thinking about it, before I drill a hole, Would it be an idea to pour fairy liquid onto it along with some water and let it sit like that for a few days and would that help clean it? Or do I need to remove it to do so? The trouble is it's had 30 yrs of leaks/spills of coolant/diesel/oil when servicing and general dirt that's all semi congealed in there.

So when water mixes in it runs off and gives the appearance of a car leaking something as the run off is oily/greasy/dieselly. Makes it impossible to tell if it's leaking something or not.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
I'd remove it and clean it. Otherwise with holes it is going to be dripping that mess onto your driveway for years.

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi all, well a month ago I removed the tray and then drove without problems. Verified by placing paper under the car that for the first time I've ever owned it there are no leaks whatsoever!

So then spent a long time cleaning 33yrs oil debris mud and grease from the tray, and finally got round to putting it back on. The problem is one of the weird slots that clips into the car for teh bolt to screw into is broken so I can only get it fixed with 3 out of 4 fixings. Luckily it's one rear that's not fixed.

Is it OK to drive like this or best to take it back off altogether - I only put it on as was fed up with the tray being in the house! It seems sturdy/doesn't rattle but not sure how much force this has to take at high speeds?

Out of interest I also had to replace a rear number plate bulb and notice mercedes used two of the same size bolts as they do for the undertray for each bulb holder! So nice to know my 30g number plate bulb is almost as well fixed to the car as my engine under tray :) - a shame they don't have the same clip fixing that accepts the bolt or I could use one of those to fix this.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
My engine is petrol and i am lucky that i have no build up of crud on the u/shield .I painted my shield the same as the car ...I did just as a few members have said, drilled holes in the front face of the shield so any residue drops on it gets blown off in the next shower of rain as i move along . I would never remove it .Friend took his off and he was on the motorway .A builders lorry went past ,,and as the lorry went by a plastic bowl fell off the back and went under my friends 300E up and in to the pulleys . They are there for a reason .

Last edited:

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
A
It's there to direct airflow under the car to aid cooling, stability at speed and economy.
And on the back/ secondary road's in Ireland it keeps the Bovine fertilizer from fertilizing all the underside of the vehicle..... especially the transmission and engine.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
A

And on the back/ secondary road's in Ireland it keeps the Bovine fertilizer from fertilizing all the underside of the vehicle..... especially the transmission and engine.

...Not just Ireland!

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Even in a 1987 W124? I thought that was a thing of today and they didn't think about it back then?

W124 was way ahead of its time. A superbly engineered car.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Yes but over time all the plastic items snap off on most parts you have to work on .So doing one job ends up doing two or three more .I remove items as if i am working on a time bomb ready to go off .Same think happens with all cars of this age [30] young.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom