JLR and BMW join forces on electric cars

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
A good move by both companies possibly a sign of more cooperation to come.

A good article in the times today regarding availability of raw materials for battery production ie, Cobalt and Lithium Carbonate apparently nobody appears to have realised that the supply chain is not secure as 60% of the worlds supply of Cobalt comes from the DRC

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
And 70% of Lithium comes from Chile...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Afghanistan is full of the stuff too, but at least we have the US of A, who will soon be our ‘humongous ‘ trading partner to rely on.....

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
A good move by both companies possibly a sign of more cooperation to come.
Not sure about that... last time BM had dealings with Rover it didn't end well for Rover...:(

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Not sure about that... last time BM had dealings with Rover it didn't end well for Rover...:(

The only winner as I recall was the UK government and yes a sad ending for both BMW (rights to the mini aside) and Rover, this union should be more a partnership of equals hopefully unlike the Daimler/Chrysler misfit

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The only winner as I recall was the UK government and yes a sad ending for both BMW (rights to the mini aside) and Rover, this union should be more a partnership of equals hopefully unlike the Daimler/Chrysler misfit
BM didn't do too bad, they got rid of that pesky 620 Rover that was outselling the 3 series in Europe :(

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
BM didn't do too bad, they got rid of that pesky 620 Rover that was outselling the 3 series in Europe :(

I don't know how, I had a Rover 620 some years back and it was awful. I hated the thing, it was gutless, the build quality was rubbish, it was tinny, rattled and squeaked like a milk float and not good on fuel. :(

I should have gone for a 623 as I believe they were a bit better but only on the performance and economy side :rolleyes:

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Remember the Rover 600, most in British Racing Green in the fleet at work. I didn't have one as it was an old mans car as I used to tell the drivers thereof :cool::rolleyes::geek::D

Bromine flow batteries are looking good for electrical storage.

A natural ( sun dried, proper solar energy) low cost recovery source is somewhere that has been part of my working life:

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 13.26.47.png

Still operating daily, since installation in 1986, following 20 years of pontification. Will outlive me undoubtedly. 420m below sea level.
Development of adhesives for a particular issue created by layers of contractual bollox and too hot (recorded 65°C on the plain at the bottom of that escarpment mid picture in July '88) literally to go out on site to see who was taking the p1ss on that cutting that was designed to have less vertical faces than those on the right; that are used in heart and other surgery.
Part of my 'too vast knowledge and experience across too many sectors' to get a job, apparently.

A variation on the change in use for materials is polysulphate that the UK has the only deposit, again recovered using long life assets created by British Engineering capability, we just need our dumbass elite to realise what we are truly capable of.

Which goes to show there is nothing new under the sun, just a different use ;):rolleyes::geek::cool:

Rant over

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom