W219 CLS - LED H7 Headlights Installd (Novsight)

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
yes but I'm right and you're mistaken

I guess I didn't just read this on the autoexpress site

According to a new RAC survey, fifteen per cent of UK drivers say they have suffered a near miss after being dazzled by modern car headlights they believe to be too bright.

Of the 65 per cent of drivers that said they regularly get dazzled by oncoming car lights, the majority said it takes up to five seconds for them to see normally again. If travelling at 60mph, this can mean they are unable to see properly while traveling for up to 134 metres

RAC road safety spokesman Pete Williams said: “The intensity and brightness of some new car headlights is clearly causing difficulty for other road users. Headlight technology has advanced considerably in recent years, but while that may be better for the drivers of those particular vehicles, it is presenting an unwanted, new road safety risk for anyone driving towards them or even trying to pull out at a junction

According to a new RAC survey, fifteen per cent of UK drivers say they have suffered a near miss after being dazzled by modern car headlights they believe to be too bright.

This quote would win "Best vague quote of 2019". This says, 15% of a small number that could be bothered to complete the survery said "A vehicle with bright lights dazzled me once, I have no idea the make or model, or even it this car was new or old". Pointless statement.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)

This quote would win "Best vague quote of 2019". This says, 15% of a small number that could be bothered to complete the survery said "A vehicle with bright lights dazzled me once, I have no idea the make or model, or even it this car was new or old". Pointless statement.
I’m one if the 85% and rarely have a problem at night. If I do, it’s usually a car with badly aimed Halogen lights that dazzles me.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Personally I only get dazzled by either badly adjusted lights (halogen, LED or xenon) or by stupidly looking directly into the lights before they go past, the latter is something I think everyone one does inadvertently at times and possibly more so with LED because they are that much brighter and you’re slightly drawn to them.
I think Craig’s posts are correct factually but the human element of driving is everso slightly different and we haven’t quite caught up with the technology in our driving style. I don’t know about anyone else here but driving standards have dropped over the last 15 years and with our roads getting busier we just see things more often, as well as the fact the world is smaller due to the Internet we hear about it more often too.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
yes but I'm right and you're mistaken

I guess I didn't just read this on the autoexpress site

Of the 65 per cent of drivers that said they regularly get dazzled by oncoming car lights, the majority said it takes up to five seconds for them to see normally again. If travelling at 60mph, this can mean they are unable to see properly while traveling for up to 134 metres

RAC road safety spokesman Pete Williams said: “The intensity and brightness of some new car headlights is clearly causing difficulty for other road users. Headlight technology has advanced considerably in recent years, but while that may be better for the drivers of those particular vehicles, it is presenting an unwanted, new road safety risk for anyone driving towards them or even trying to pull out at a junction
I’m a professional in this field and I say your opinion isn’t supported by any objective fact and data, if you want to play that game.

The RAC is not a professional or even a properly ethical polling organisation. This isn’t the first time that I have seen them campaigning like this. However, it’s worth pointing this out <again>... headlamps on a new car are limited to below 2000lm per side to get around light scattering regs requiring headlamp cleaner system. Only three years ago HiD lamps, still then in full swing, were pumping out well over 3000lm per side.

So we are complaining, according to the RAC, that car headlamps of 33% reduced brightness are now too bright. Yeah. That sounds like an argument with SWMBO.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
we know you have lots of technical data from your job, we know you're a merc fan, like me, your thoughts and views are totally irrelevant. Regardless of my experience, knowledge or mental state Merc LED headlights are the most dazzling of any car manufacturer and when fitted with cornering control, on a lock can blast out highly dangerous light levels that blind. They should be banned from the roads

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
we know you have lots of technical data from your job, we know you're a merc fan, like me, your thoughts and views are totally irrelevant. Regardless of my experience, knowledge or mental state Merc LED headlights are the most dazzling of any car manufacturer and when fitted with cornering control, on a lock can blast out highly dangerous light levels that blind. They should be banned from the roads
No they’re not, and they shouldn’t be. Like your post on DAB absolute tosh

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
In your opinion.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004

This reads as, 'Never mind the facts - I'm right'. Not a sustainable position. Experts are experts for a reason.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

While you're banning stuff let's also do any car with illegal headlights, cored DPFs, cats removed, and bypassed EGR valves.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
While you're banning stuff let's also do any car with illegal headlights, cored DPFs, cats removed, and bypassed EGR valves.

yes DPF or EGR bodges, lock em up no issue, never done that or removed a cat in my life

Ben Longden

Reaction score
Website
www.benlongden.com
Your Mercedes
W203 220CDI. Silver with grey and black trim. 1992 W140 400SEL Silver. 1999 CLK430 (missus)
Hey Star... Im out of popcorn. You got any?

On a serious note... I do a 200km round trip in the dark for my daily commute. Most of it is on low beam due to the traffic.
A great number of drivers are using LED globes, but the cheap and nasty ones that dont work with beam cutoff; they simply have so many emitters all over them and hardy anything at the reflector/lens focal point, they turn the headlight into a floodlight.

So these blokes are dazzling oncoming traffic, and they are seriously bright.
As for the legalities, well, there have been no reports in the media or pressers from the cops and dept of transport about their use. But the shops here do clearly mark their globes on the stands as "not road legal" to avoid law suits.

Aside from the dazzle issue, is there any concrete evidence the LED is not a good idea in place of Halogen?
My last Nightbreakers only lasted six months.. and its a bit of as bugger to be halfway to work when a globe fails, in a high animal hazard area..

I have a set of long life globes fitted, but to be honest, I feel a candle with tin reflector would do a better job at times.

If I do consider LED, I need to 100% know that the globe mount wont be damaged or need modification, the heat wont damage the housing or anything in there (I stupidly ran 130W globes in the Calibra a decade ago, and melted the ****** housing) and also I need a definite yes or no on the error messages..

Meantime, Ive ordered a set of Phillips Whitevision, as I was given the headsup they are a good compromise; giving more light and a longer life than 250 hours.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Concrete evidence. Sure. There’s loads. A properly designed high quality LED lighting engine, assembled in a properly accredited plant, will last for upto 120,000hrs to its L70 point, at which it has reached 70% of original brightness. It will likely carry on working long beyond that but at ever-reduced brightness.

Compare that to say 3000hrs absolute maximum lifetime for H11 halogen; Nightbreaker H7 quote 300hrs.

The difference is, when an LED lamp fails it’s a whole unit replacement. But then failures are an order of magnitude lower than traditional lighting types.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
So let me get this straight....
You're complaining about dodgy headlight conversions blinding you but are wanting to do a dodgy headlight conversion yourself?

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Ben Longden.

I have been there over many years with upgraded halogens. In my experience the Philips have lasted better than the Osrams but, don't expect that the Philips will make things better for you in terms of lighting quality over the Nightbreakers. Depending on the lamp assembly and and the condition of its projector/reflector/lens, the upgraded halogens bulbs may or may not make an acceptable difference.

Fwiw, I would not bother with the LEDs if you have the option of a decent quality HID kit (with or without the anti glare bulb type depending on your lamp type). The LEDs wipe the floor compared to the halogens but, are not better than HID in my opinion.

The HID is a better option over the LEDs due to;

- dust gromit for the dust cap hole which you will have to cut
- you choose your colour temp
- you choose between 35w and 55w
- HID bulb just goes in (so easier when access is restricted)
- A premium HID kit will handle the canbus issues
- No mucking around with additional decoders in addition to the ones supplied
- Expect to pay circa £50-65 for a decent HID kit.

As you know, the brighter halogens are not cheap or durable and the difference they make varies from car to car and generally its its minimal at best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for blinding people well.... its far better than being sat behind retards for several miles who must happily have their rear fog lights on when its trickling with rain or there's some light mist/fog but visibility is perfectly OK...........

On a serious note, just last week a few cars stayed in my head;

BMW E39 oncoming with 5000K HIDs at 11:30pm - not the slightest bit of discomfort

MK1 Audi TT oncoming with 6000K HID or LEDs at 10:45pm - no issues other than a slight colour change (blue tinge) as it went over road imperfections.

Both of the above caused no issue whereas some new cars can be a little discomforting such as the Audi's, some Mercs but, BMW oddly seem better generally speaking when caught at certain angles as mentioned by a previous poster.

My cousin has just got a new Nissan Xtrail and that's just downright disgraceful for its lights being blinding (in addition to it being a pile of excrement on 4 wheels).

Seat MPV - 5:30pm (so day light) with clearly a 6000K 55w HID kit. One OK headlamp and one incorrectly aimed headlamp. That was horrendous enough during the day when it went past as my eye drew to the badly aligned lamp but, at night, that would cause some discomfort and the badly aligned lamp would cause blinding.

Ben Longden

Reaction score
Website
www.benlongden.com
Your Mercedes
W203 220CDI. Silver with grey and black trim. 1992 W140 400SEL Silver. 1999 CLK430 (missus)
So let me get this straight....
You're complaining about dodgy headlight conversions blinding you but are wanting to do a dodgy headlight conversion yourself?

No.

What I want to know is are they really worth the time, expense and trouble?
Will they require a modification to the globe mount?
Will they damage the headlamp?

It seems I cannot get a straight answer from members here, who, like yourself, seem to be pining for conflict.

I see lots of dodgy LEDs on the daily commute, and most of these involve the dodgy LEDs that have multiple emitters that make the headlamp into a floodlamp, totally negating the beam cutoff (because of the extra emitters all over it, and not at the reflectors focal point)

When it comes down to it, I've asked a fairly straight question, well, a Dorothy Dixer, really, for those with the knowledge to come and answer the question. But there have been a lot of people here spout forth their expertise, when none is apparent. And there are those with the expertise who say nothing... and brag about it.

It would seem knowledge is power, and witholding that knowledge gives greater power.

Here is my plan. Im going to run H7 globes in the W203. Not LED. not HID.
But, I will trial Phillips Whitevision in the low beam, and 150% Nightbreakers in the high beam. Normally, i would use the same globe in both, but Ive decided to fry the retinas of the dodgy LED brigade.

Ben Longden

Reaction score
Website
www.benlongden.com
Your Mercedes
Ben Longden.

I have been there over many years with upgraded halogens. In my experience the Philips have lasted better than the Osrams but, don't expect that the Philips will make things better for you in terms of lighting quality over the Nightbreakers. Depending on the lamp assembly and and the condition of its projector/reflector/lens, the upgraded halogens bulbs may or may not make an acceptable difference.

Fwiw, I would not bother with the LEDs if you have the option of a decent quality HID kit (with or without the anti glare bulb type depending on your lamp type). The LEDs wipe the floor compared to the halogens but, are not better than HID in my opinion.

The HID is a better option over the LEDs due to;

- dust gromit for the dust cap hole which you will have to cut
- you choose your colour temp
- you choose between 35w and 55w
- HID bulb just goes in (so easier when access is restricted)
- A premium HID kit will handle the canbus issues
- No mucking around with additional decoders in addition to the ones supplied
- Expect to pay circa £50-65 for a decent HID kit.

As you know, the brighter halogens are not cheap or durable and the difference they make varies from car to car and generally its its minimal at best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for blinding people well.... its far better than being sat behind retards for several miles who must happily have their rear fog lights on when its trickling with rain or there's some light mist/fog but visibility is perfectly OK...........

On a serious note, just last week a few cars stayed in my head;

BMW E39 oncoming with 5000K HIDs at 11:30pm - not the slightest bit of discomfort

MK1 Audi TT oncoming with 6000K HID or LEDs at 10:45pm - no issues other than a slight colour change (blue tinge) as it went over road imperfections.

Both of the above caused no issue whereas some new cars can be a little discomforting such as the Audi's, some Mercs but, BMW oddly seem better generally speaking when caught at certain angles as mentioned by a previous poster.

My cousin has just got a new Nissan Xtrail and that's just downright disgraceful for its lights being blinding (in addition to it being a pile of excrement on 4 wheels).

Seat MPV - 5:30pm (so day light) with clearly a 6000K 55w HID kit. One OK headlamp and one incorrectly aimed headlamp. That was horrendous enough during the day when it went past as my eye drew to the badly aligned lamp but, at night, that would cause some discomfort and the badly aligned lamp would cause blinding.

Thanks!!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No.

What I want to know is are they really worth the time, expense and trouble?
Will they require a modification to the globe mount?
Will they damage the headlamp?

It seems I cannot get a straight answer from members here, who, like yourself, seem to be pining for conflict.

I see lots of dodgy LEDs on the daily commute, and most of these involve the dodgy LEDs that have multiple emitters that make the headlamp into a floodlamp, totally negating the beam cutoff (because of the extra emitters all over it, and not at the reflectors focal point)

When it comes down to it, I've asked a fairly straight question, well, a Dorothy Dixer, really, for those with the knowledge to come and answer the question. But there have been a lot of people here spout forth their expertise, when none is apparent. And there are those with the expertise who say nothing... and brag about it.

It would seem knowledge is power, and witholding that knowledge gives greater power.

Here is my plan. Im going to run H7 globes in the W203. Not LED. not HID.
But, I will trial Phillips Whitevision in the low beam, and 150% Nightbreakers in the high beam. Normally, i would use the same globe in both, but Ive decided to fry the retinas of the dodgy LED brigade.

Ok let's get a couple of things straight.
I don't pine for conflict but I have a real hatred of illegal lighting systems. This largely stems from being in low slung cars where poorly set up (generally illegal) lights dear my retinas when they come towards me on wet roads.
To get the best from your lights do the following:
1. Make sure your lenses are crystal clear and clean. If this isn't the case anything else is a waste of time.
2. Fit the best bulbs appropriate to your light mount. If you have H7 (as you do if they are halogen) then Osram Nightbreaker Ultimates or the Philips/GE equivalents rated at +150% are the choice of most on here with Osrams being the clear favourite. Avoid the Philips Rally version as the bulb life is far too short.
3. Make sure the bulb is properly seated in the reflector when fit them. You'd be amazed how many aren't and how easy it is to get wrong.
4.Whichever bulb you choose spend some serious time getting them correctly aligned both vertically and horizontally. If you don't have a beam setting machine a brick wall with a flat approach works very well. Mark the centres of your lights on the wall and aim for 1.5% drop typically.

Legal H7 kits will not damage reflectors or lenses. Illegal 100W halogen kits may damage reflectors from the excess heat generated.

If you need better lighting still find an HID kit from you model of car and retrofit it complete with lighting units.

I'm not going to answer your queries on the matter of LED or HiD H7 kits and whether they will or won't damage housings - I do know but don't want to give advice on illegal lighting systems. Any advice is irrelevant anyway as they are still illegal.

If you require it I can point you at all the relevant legislation and standards documents. Craig on here has spent a number of years in the motor manufacturing business with some emphasis on lighting systems.

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
150% of nothing is nothing, try Philips if you wish, but I'd save the money and the skin on your hands by leaving alone
or go illegal if you actually want to see where u r going. Which at least means you have a chance to avoid

a) the merc driver with blinding LEDs
b) the speeding hoodie with aftermarket HIDs
c) another merc halogen driver
d) the blind old fool
e) the young person texting
f) the cyclist with no lights
g) the drunk driver
h) the drug driver
i) the potholes
j) the overgrown hedgerow (with a fallen branch sticking out)
k) fly tipped detritus
l) gravel from the last deluge

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
150% of nothing is nothing, try Philips if you wish, but I'd save the money and the skin on your hands by leaving alone
or go illegal if you actually want to see where u r going. Which at least means you have a chance to avoid

a) the merc driver with blinding LEDs
b) the speeding hoodie with aftermarket HIDs
c) another merc halogen driver
d) the blind old fool
e) the young person texting
f) the cyclist with no lights
g) the drunk driver
h) the drug driver
i) the potholes
j) the overgrown hedgerow (with a fallen branch sticking out)
k) fly tipped detritus
l) gravel from the last deluge

a) doesn't exist for anyone but you.
b) if you can't beat em join em us not a good reason to break the law
c) they'll do a fine job of seeing you coming
d) given you seem to have difficulty seeing the road when you don't have portable suns mounted on your car I'm assuming the blind old fool is you?
e) lights of any kind won't help you.
f) do you not drive to the distance you can see?
g) see e above
h) see e above
I) see f above. If not you have yourself to blame. Or the idiot coming towards you who melted your retinas with his bodgy lights.
j) see f above
k) see i above (though I've never seen fly tipped detritus on any road I've driven in a car).
l) see f above.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
a) doesn't exist for anyone but you.
b) if you can't beat em join em us not a good reason to break the law
c) they'll do a fine job of seeing you coming
d) given you seem to have difficulty seeing the road when you don't have portable suns mounted on your car I'm assuming the blind old fool is you?
e) lights of any kind won't help you.
f) do you not drive to the distance you can see?
g) see e above
h) see e above
I) see f above. If not you have yourself to blame. Or the idiot coming towards you who melted your retinas with his bodgy lights.
j) see f above
k) see i above (though I've never seen fly tipped detritus on any road I've driven in a car).
l) see f above.
I'm questioning the actual eyesight of some drivers if they require these illegal lights! I have "night breakers" and they are fine at night.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom