Noise Cameras

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
|Seems like waste of time. Nobody took any notice.

The fact remains, most cyclists(over 80% according to the figures I read) also own cars. Anytime they decide to cycle instead, you should be happy. Whilst choosing to cycle they are doing less damage to "your" roads.

just obstructing the traffic, a good number.

JohnArnoldBrown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Estate 2003
good luck with that !!!! i would simply impose a £40.00 a yr for over 18,s bike permits. and the same penalty that car owners pay for not having it ..under 18,s and OAP,s sorry about cap lock !! exempt.
How about car owners who also own cycles? Would they be exempt? That's over 80% of them remember... and while they're on bikes, they're not damaging the road as much as you...

Anyhow, as an OAP and a car owner, I guess I'd be double-exempt under your scheme. Which, incidentally, is extremely unlikely to be implemented.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I agree, but have you actually looked at the figures? It's something like 0.8% of pedestrian deaths involve cyclists. It's hard to believe, in the light of the massive media coverage the vanishing small number of incidents receive.
If you give me figures I can make them show any result you'd like :rolleyes: - "Statistically 9 out 10 people enjoy gang rape" - doesn't make it right though:(... Can't say I'm aware of massive media coverage as I don't subscribe to news media - they're only in it to make money not to inform.

You can't make a child with a broken arm better by telling them they're really unlucky to have been ridden over...

As I've said above I've no issue with the cyclists following the highway code

They do pay. Over 80% own cars. So the vast majority of cylists are not using the roads gratis. I'm sorry, I don't see how I can make this any clearer, but I won't resort to caps lock shouting. As I said, they should pay less tax, as less of a burden on the NHS. Maybe a fixed amount of tax rebate per mile cycled, funded from the "road tax".
If you ever venture to South West Scotchland you'll find the opposite cyclists are such a burden on the NHS that the Dumfries & Galloway Royal Infirmary has to have more staff in on a weekend because of Ae Forest (well not because of the forest but because of all the cyclists injuring themselves there)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
How about car owners who also own cycles? Would they be exempt? That's over 80% of them remember... and while they're on bikes, they're not damaging the road as much as you...

Anyhow, as an OAP and a car owner, I guess I'd be double-exempt under your scheme. Which, incidentally, is extremely unlikely to be implemented.

half price for car owners !!! give the conservatives a chance !!!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
They do pay. Over 80% own cars. So the vast majority of cylists are not using the roads gratis. I'm sorry, I don't see how I can make this any clearer, but I won't resort to caps lock shouting. As I said, they should pay less tax, as less of a burden on the NHS. Maybe a fixed amount of tax rebate per mile cycled, funded from the "road tax".
The 80% with cars pay for their cars.

I have two cars. I pay for two cars.

If a cyclist has a car and s bicycle, let him pay for the bicycle TOO.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

I had 5 cars and 3 motorbikes - could only use one at a time but all had VED (Road Tax of old...) :rolleyes:

JohnArnoldBrown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Estate 2003

You pay tax on two cars. But as you well know, it has nothing to do with road expenditure.

Personally, I've always thought VED should be scrapped, and the revenue raised from higher fuel tax instead. Seems a much fairer system. Wouldn't do much for all you bike haters, though.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Really? That doesn't make any sense at all.

I note you've cropped my post somewhat...
It's called statistics - you can make them show anything you want to :rolleyes:

I think I'll get rid of my Merc. I don't feel that I fit the demographic of CAT removing, speed limit despising bike haters.

I think you're getting confused - no mention of removing CAT (especially the Blob variety :rolleyes:) and no hating of bikes. Inconsiderate cyclists have come under scrutiny and I doubt anyone would defend their actions.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Really? That doesn't make any sense at all.
I think I'll get rid of my Merc. I don't feel that I fit the demographic of CAT removing, speed limit despising bike haters.

People often express their views with a little too much heat and not enough light. Don't deny yourself the pleasure of a Mercedes Benz because some MB owners have a problem with cyclists. Many also express irrational prejudice about BMWs (John's a notable exception). Some people hate soccer, or particular teams...the list goes on. The Road Tax issue isn't about to be resolved on these pages.

We all agree that MBs are nice cars and some us think they're excellent.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
So as I pay a small fortune for Private Health cover for myself, family, and everyone who works for me as you put it "removing a substantial burden on the NHS", should I be entitled to pay reduced tax?

For the record I do not mind paying road and income tax to fund the NHS for others to use but frankly I find your argument to avoid your share because cycling reduces the NHS burden a little far fetched. Just to amplify how far fetched it is should joggers be entitled to reduced NI contributions or perhaps Gym memberships be fully tax deductible?

When a cyclist hits a motorist and it is the cyclists fault who pays for the damage? In 80% of cases (funnily enough the same % as cyclists who drive) it is the motorist, not only should adult cyclist pay some road tax perhaps it could be argued compulsory insurance should be in place...

Mercedes SL500 R231

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i dont hate cyclists either, i get tired of cyclists thinking motorists are perpetually liable for all road based ills they feel that they suffer whilst contributing nothing or very little to the taxes that motorists of all types have pay in order for roads to be cyclist friendly. hogging the road, not following traffic rules , the assumption that its always the motorists fault when something goes wrong. go to any big town or city,frankly its amazing that more are not injured or killed. many cyclists behave well on the road but that is no reason why they should not contribute in the form of a bike permit ,just as we motorists of ALL marques have to with our road tax.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Bike riders should pay to use roads. No question. Why should they be exempt? (No, the NHS excuse doesn't wash with me)
They also enjoy the potholes, and their contributions should help fix them;)

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
People often express their views with a little too much heat and not enough light. Don't deny yourself the pleasure of a Mercedes Benz because some MB owners have a problem with cyclists. Many also express irrational prejudice about BMWs (John's a notable exception). Some people hate soccer, or particular teams...the list goes on. The Road Tax issue isn't about to be resolved on these pages.

We all agree that MBs are nice cars and some us think they're excellent.
I'm a Mercedes benz owner ohh and a cyclist. Seats down front wheel off jobs a goodun.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Many also express irrational prejudice about BMWs (John's a notable exception)
Nah we just tollorate @John Laidlaw at the moment as he’ll be back one day, grovelling on his knees for forgiveness :p:p;);)

Last edited:

JohnArnoldBrown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Estate 2003
For the record I do not mind paying road and income tax to fund the NHS for others to use but frankly I find your argument to avoid your share because cycling reduces the NHS burden a little far fetched. Just to amplify how far fetched it is should joggers be entitled to reduced NI contributions or perhaps Gym memberships be fully tax deductible?
It was supposed to be far fetched. It was supposed to be just as ridiculous as the other nonsense spouted in this thread.
I don't really advocate such a move, any more than I advocate refusing to treat smokers.

Bike riders should pay to use roads. No question. Why should they be exempt? (No, the NHS excuse doesn't wash with me)
They also enjoy the potholes, and their contributions should help fix them;)
You really haven't been paying attention. There is no such thing as "road tax". Roads come out of general taxation.

"Statistically 9 out 10 people enjoy gang rape" - doesn't make it right though
O.K. Now I give up. I have no idea where you found that statistic, but I strongly suspect you made it up.

Last edited:

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
Cameras with sound and we're on cyclists :D. You have to love social media.
I've a noisy car and will be one of those who slows down when there are cameras.. and guess what my car also becomes quiet too :p
Not the Merc, that's neither fast or loud :rolleyes::D and in fact often those pesky cyclists pass me!

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I

You really haven't been paying attention. There is no such thing as "road tax". Roads come out of general taxation.

Oh I have you know.
Yes, roads are built and maintained out of a "pot" made up from taxation.
Car owners pay a road fund licence which goes into the pot so indirectly, yes the motorist is paying to use the roads system.
What I was advocating is cyclists also use the road system and, as such should also contribute.
Unfair? I don't believe so.

While we are at it, compulsory third party insurance for cyclists wouldn't go amiss. Not all accidents involving cyclists are the blame of the other party. Cyclist insurance would help pay for damage/injury caused if the accident was deemed their fault.

It should work both ways.

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
I certainly think there is an argument based on at the very least you not owning a car but owning a bicycle and paying a tax.
Insurance would also be included.
I have three cars all in my name, I'm the only driver and nobody else in the house can drive. Why should i have to pay three lots of road fund licence and insurance?
Why? because I am paying a tax to have the car/s on the road and notto specifically maintain the road. Same applies to cyclists.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom