A plethora of fault codes on my CLK. Help!

OP
Richard E

Richard E

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLK 2008 320 Cabriolet
Don't discount poor connection at sensor/s.
I was led on a goose chase with 3 of these. MAF, EGR, and turbo actuator.

Thanks M80! I cleaned all but the DPF sensor plug as it's more diffcult to get to. It does look grubby though and is in a hostile place - hot and dirty.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Thanks M80! I cleaned all but the DPF sensor plug as it's more diffcult to get to. It does look grubby though and is in a hostile place - hot and dirty.

Aye, I can sympathise with that.
The only way to be sure is to know the pin outs at the ECU and test out to the sensor/s when connected. An issue can be not knowing what reading to expect but often, with a drawing, the readings can be reasonably assumed. Or compared to the test results at the pins of the sensor itself.

Not easy, and time consuming.
Star more often would point to open cct faults, but 2 Star machines on mine failed to.

OP
Richard E

Richard E

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't discount poor connection at sensor/s.
I was led on a goose chase with 3 of these. MAF, EGR, and turbo actuator.

Thanks M80! I cleaned all the plugs, just the DPF sensor to try now. I'll pick up a new one tomorrow, and a resistor, and if it still doesn't solve the problem I'll go see the mechanic.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
It's a 2 man job, although I used a digi camera on video.
But as the ignition is cycled the inlet port shut off motor will travel through its range.
Same for the turbo actuator, but don't force it to travel as that'll break it.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Doesn't a failed IPS motor usually take down MAF and EGR too as they're on a common supply I seem to recall.

OP
Richard E

Richard E

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Doesn't a failed IPS motor usually take down MAF and EGR too as they're on a common supply I seem to recall.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the IPS motor? Is that for the swirl flaps? Just trying to find it. Thanks!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Excuse my ignorance but what is the IPS motor? Is that for the swirl flaps? Just trying to find it. Thanks!
Yes inlet port shutoff motor for controlling swirl flaps.
High current drags down the voltages for the other two components.

OP
Richard E

Richard E

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes inlet port shutoff motor for controlling swirl flaps.
High current drags down the voltages for the other two components.

Great thanks! I'm just checking the fuse list again, I'm guessing it should be fuses: 48, 53 or 54. I've attached scans of the fuse allocations that came with my car.

Attachments

• w209-fusebox-1.jpg
    w209-fusebox-1.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 5
  • w209-fusebox-2.jpg
    w209-fusebox-2.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 5
OP
Richard E

Richard E

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fuse 48 seems ok. I just tested it but replaced it anyway.

There is a loud, high-pitched scream coming from the area the IPS motor and as long as I have the ignition switched on it stays screaming. Normal?

Update: it's coming from the turbo..

Last edited:
OP
Richard E

Richard E

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just put in the 4.7k resistor on the swirl flap motor and still in limp-home-mode..
Still getting P1402.

Tomorrow I'll have the DPF sensor so will replace that and hope for the best.

Attachments

• 20190617_145942.jpg
    20190617_145942.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
Richard E

Richard E

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
no fuses blown sadly.. I'm really hoping now it's the DPF sensor.
If it's not that off to the garage for a proper check-up but that always feels like defeat.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
no fuses blown sadly.. I'm really hoping now it's the DPF sensor.
If it's not that off to the garage for a proper check-up but that always feels like defeat.

My advice to you is rather than guess, get it looked at first before you spend any money ordering parts you dont need. For me that is more of a defeat, spending money you dont have to.

Fault - Diagnosis - Cure.

OP
Richard E

Richard E

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My advice to you is rather than guess, get it looked at first before you spend any money ordering parts you dont need. For me that is more of a defeat, spending money you dont have to.

Fault - Diagnosis - Cure.
My thinking is that for the sake of a €45 part I might as well try especially as it seems to be a common fault so it could avoid a breakdown in some far off part of the world (I also love the challenge and I love learning about the car). But you are right, it makes sense to get it checked first. It would just be really annoying if I'm charged €100 to be told it's a €45 part. I recently had problems with my BMW 520 F10, I took it to a local garage and they charged me €150 for diagnosis and changed the DPF sensor.. and it didn't cure it. It was the EGR valve. I removed it, put in a €40 kit from Ebay, and now it runs like a dream.

Here in Italy people very rarely work on their own cars, my neighbours are stunned I even open the bonnet on my cars, so garages really take advantage. So, €45 more and then I'll throw in towel. I promise!! Money isn't too big an issue (there is a limit!), so it's ok. Thanks for your advice, it is appreciated.

OP
Richard E

Richard E

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi all
I'm happy to report it's fixed!
So, first, thanks for your guidance and moral support.

It was the DPF sensor. I got an original part for €45, took 20 mins to fit and it seems to run great. Only took it up the road and back but revs now as it used to.

DHL just deliverd a box full of rear suspension arms, so that's the next job. A bit too hot at the moment though..

Thanks again!!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi all
I'm happy to report it's fixed!
So, first, thanks for your guidance and moral support.

It was the DPF sensor. I got an original part for €45, took 20 mins to fit and it seems to run great. Only took it up the road and back but revs now as it used to.

DHL just deliverd a box full of rear suspension arms, so that's the next job. A bit too hot at the moment though..

Thanks again!!
Good result buddy , back in the game ! You also know a lot more about all things om642 :D

OP
Richard E

Richard E

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good result buddy , back in the game ! You also know a lot more about all things om642 :D

Yes! Intimately now!

A question about the swirl flaps - I assume the resistor fix keeps the flaps open at all times, is it worth leaving the resistor in even if they work ok? Thanks!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Yes! Intimately now!

A question about the swirl flaps - I assume the resistor fix keeps the flaps open at all times, is it worth leaving the resistor in even if they work ok? Thanks!
Yes , if the flaps are working at the time the resistor fix is put in they will remain open . I have had the resistor in for 6 months now and the only change I have noticed is there seems to be slightly more engine breaking (???) . I am happy to leave mine in as the car is at nearly 100k and the manifolds must have "some" sludge blocking them by now .
I'm sure people have different opinions on this bypass , but it has been very popular in the jeep forums for many years now , so I'm happy it's well tested .
If my car ever develops the famous om642 oil cooler seal leak , that involves having the manifolds out , then maybe if I know they are clear at the time of refitting I might have everything put back to standard .
For me it's just one less fault code that might crop up . I carry a spare 15amp fuse and a resistor in the car just in case (with my icarsoft )

OP
Richard E

Richard E

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes , if the flaps are working at the time the resistor fix is put in they will remain open . I have had the resistor in for 6 months now and the only change I have noticed is there seems to be slightly more engine breaking (???) . I am happy to leave mine in as the car is at nearly 100k and the manifolds must have "some" sludge blocking them by now .
I'm sure people have different opinions on this bypass , but it has been very popular in the jeep forums for many years now , so I'm happy it's well tested .
If my car ever develops the famous om642 oil cooler seal leak , that involves having the manifolds out , then maybe if I know they are clear at the time of refitting I might have everything put back to standard .
For me it's just one less fault code that might crop up . I carry a spare 15amp fuse and a resistor in the car just in case (with my icarsoft )

Right, thanks! it makes sense..
I cleaned up the swirl flaps on my 2L BMW and they were terrible, it took me hours to clean them and the dirt is still all over the garage, so they do create problems. I knew nothing about them then and didn't know I could delete them but they're very easy to get to. One day I might have a go at the Merc too if I get the cooler seal fault. Mine too has done 100k miles.

Fuses are always in the emergency kit but I'll get another resistor. Don't know why I didn't buy more than one.. it was only 10cents. And my wife says I waste money!

I'll attached a photo of my BM swirl flaps and me... horrible job.

Taking the car up to Lake Constance in a couple of weeks. Should be great now!

Attachments

• 20190330_140435.jpg
    20190330_140435.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190330_165517.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom