Electric car

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Manufacturers. And their desire will come from regulation and consumer demand.
We've already seen the regulation part of the equation. Just needs the consumer to realise this is going to happen and get used to the idea.
The first generation of any product is not without flaws. The first diesel cars were slow, smelly and noisy. The first generation of aircraft could barely cross the channel. There are dozens of examples.
We are quite likely seeing the last generation who will be able to buy the cars we love so much - the big V8 and V12 sports cars and super saloons. Those of us who like the old cars will increasingly be legislated off the road. It's already happening. The Crit d'air zones in France have nearly cut off the route south to Bordeaux from the channel ports. There is just a small gap near Limoges. Even then you can only get to within about 50 miles of Bordeaux. The whole west coast west of the Gironde is a clean air zone as are the Alps and Savoie and Provence. The regulation forcing us into electric cars is already there.

Eventually we'll find it impossible to source fuel as demand falls.

Enjoy our big ICE cars while we can. They will go the same way as the dinosaur and there is little we can do about it.

right now i think thats like betamax and vhs not sorted ,and some of us (not me ) will get mugged in the process i see yr issue ref france but i just dont have a problem NOT going there , if that turns into an issue... in ten yrs i will likely be looking my mobility cart ,and hopefully that wont 1. need connecting to star or anything else and 2. a cheap effective battery will be avial ? prob be road tax involved tho !!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I keep holding off pulling the trigger on an new maybe electric car for the usual reasons also my car despite it being fairly old is in good order, so it allows me to be lazy, short leasing deal appeals as there is quite a shake up to be had in the market.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I seriously looked at all electric last Year but the popular choices were either very ugly, very expensive and none of them simply went far enough for me on a full charge, I didn't consider leasing though and as others have already mentioned as a second car for short commutes and the right lease deal it may very well be an option for some?

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Or you could move to Milton Keynes with its 300 charging points and free parking for EV's and never worry about range issues - as long as you don't leave MK...

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Or you could move to Milton Keynes with its 300 charging points and free parking for EV's and never worry about range issues - as long as you don't leave MK...
I went to MK once and COULDN'T get away for all the confusing roundabouts there, you'd need an oversized battery for the additional mileage you'd cover going around them all! :) Do they still have the concrete cows on show in MK? :D

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Why ever would one want to live in MK?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i dont do built up areas.....

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
OK but have you ever driven one? Once you've driven one I bet you change your mind.
I have repeatedly, they’re different but not necessarily good

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Just had a quick gander seeing if any of these 'leccy cars would be a realistic proposition (price, range etc).

The Renault Zoe stood out, at £14,000, looks decent enough as far as modern cars go and in my eyes, this would be a good candidate as a real world purchase for many in such a market. However, a claimed range of 250 miles in the real world translates to 186 miles. Quite a drop and bit of a pain if someone expects to get close 250 miles for say a long run or potential commuting.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electric/best-electric-cars-and-evs/

As for looks, the Tesla's, Jag I pace (best looker IMO) and Renault Zoe look decent enough with relatively clean lines, not trying too hard with ugly fake vents and horrid light clusters and multi exterior materials etc.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK but have you ever driven one? Once you've driven one I bet you change your mind.

IF i do ,i may create that thing called desire,and fall into makers trap which right now i dont have. as such i wont be making myself a further victim of that and its associated costs. i and mostly happy(sometimes not ) with my current levels of tech and the dramas they currently put me through. as previous .when they become fiesta money ,cover 300 miles on charge and batts last longer i MIGHT think about going to try one,till then ,not interested.

Reactions: DSK

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I keep holding off pulling the trigger on an new maybe electric car for the usual reasons also my car despite it being fairly old is in good order, so it allows me to be lazy, short leasing deal appeals as there is quite a shake up to be had in the market.
Wise thoughts..

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nothing is new

DE4988EA-898E-4C50-81D5-DA46F970D6AB.jpeg

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I think the tesla p100d has something magical going for it, its ability to leave every two and 4 wheeled ice behind from the lights.
People are happy to pay a small fortune for a supercar that probably hasn't got much more range on a tank full of fuel than a tesla so surely the tesla with hypercar acceleration yet non of the servicing costs must have some appeal to the power junkies?
A friend has a p100d, which I didn't really care for as still liked the petrol hypercars but since I had never been in an electric car I got him to take me out for a quick spin.
OMG> in 2.something seconds I was instantly converted (and doing 60mph) The silence and dramaless sheer power and acceleration is totally addictive.
The model 3 beat a bmw 3 series around a track. Yes electric cars still have lots of obstacles to overcome but as a 2nd fun car surely it cant be beat?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom