DIY - Seeking for Advice - Im on a mission to replace my brake disk and pads.

Jndom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 / 2013 / 1.5
Dear Merc Community,

As i mentioned in the title; I would like to replace my brake disk and pads on my own. I have no past experience on being a mechanic, but I'm confident that with the help of Google, YouTube and Our Forum Community. I will be able to figure it out and do it all.

Just a Little Back Story Of How I Selflearned In The Past.

About 9years Ago. I had no clue on how to building a computer and how its works. Did much reading, watch slot of youtube videos, google search again and again.

- I was able identify all basic components required.
- Ordered all my components from different website within UK and Overseas.
- I was able to put all the peaces together. Had few fails but it's ok, it's all part of learning process.
- I successfully built a powerful gaming computer from complete scratch.
- Learned different ways to modify both interior and exterior part of my pc.
- My gaming computer was later nominated as one of the best modified computer in www.overclock.net

So yeh! If I can do it building a gaming computer. Then surely, I'll also be able to figure out car upgrades.

My questions will follow..

OP
J

Jndom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 / 2013 / 1.5
First Question.

Car: A180 CDI - Manufactured on 2013.
Tire Size: 18inc

What is the exact size of the brake disk I should get?

Front: Size? Diameter?

Rear: Size? Diameter?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Replacing discs & pads is easy enough, but so is brain surgery if you know what you're doing .... ;) The difference between brakes on a car & building a computer is that if you fcuk up the brakes you don't stop ... if you fcuk up your computer you just have a box of electrickery in front of you that does an impression of a door stop ;)

OP
J

Jndom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 / 2013 / 1.5
Replacing discs & pads is easy enough, but so is brain surgery if you know what you're doing .... ;) The difference between brakes on a car & building a computer is that if you fcuk up the brakes you don't stop ... if you fcuk up your computer you just have a box of electrickery in front of you that does an impression of a door stop ;)

Haha Very True. But ofcourse I will make sure to test the brakes again and again before I even take the car on the road.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Well done on building your computer from scratch. :) My son did the same thing and now goes to conventions all over the UK, showing off and playing against others.

However, when it comes to doing the brakes and/or any major work or servicing stuff, he makes sure his old Pop is watching carefully, while he does the work, to make sure he learns properly and doesn't make a fatal mistake.

Me, being very fond of my boy, I'm all to happy to make sure he doesn't cock it up, as I'd miss him terribly if anything untoward resulted from him working on his own car.

The fact that his mother would chop off my cojones if, I let him make a mistake is neither here nor there, plus, me being rather fond of them too, I have no intention of loosing them, or him.

As an aside, I need him around to sort my computer when it goes tits up too. He's damned good at computers, and it's my intention that he also becomes damned good at car maintainence before I meet my maker.

We like to think of it as a fair trade. :D

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
First Question.

Car: A180 CDI - Manufactured on 2013.
Tire Size: 18inc

What is the exact size of the brake disk I should get?

Front: Size? Diameter?

Rear: Size? Diameter?

Given that you have the car, I think it will be easier for you to measure them than us to guess ;)

If you use M/B for the parts they should be able to supply the correct ones from the VIN.
If you use one of the online parts sites such as eurocarparts or gsf then there may be a few to choose from depending on the spec of your car.

Youtube will undoubtedly have a guide.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
.. or just put your car registration number into any of the major parts suppliers - like ECP for instance.
You will get the brake parts specs from them.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
.. or just put your car registration number into any of the major parts suppliers - like ECP for instance.
You will get the brake parts specs from them.
They “should” be right but not always if there are different sizes available on the same model.

I’d do the online check and measure the outside diameter. I’d then do click and collect (with the relevant discount code) :)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Everyone starts someone , I would think for most people brakes was one of the more common ones .
Allow plenty of time for the job
Don't start on a Sunday when MB parts are closed (just in case)
Have a second car available to drive and buy something you have forgotten
Get someone else to test drive the car when you have finished :rolleyes:

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Everyone starts someone , I would think for most people brakes was one of the more common ones .
Allow plenty of time for the job
Don't start on a Sunday when MB parts are closed (just in case)
Have a second car available to drive and buy something you have forgotten
Get someone else to test drive the car when you have finished :rolleyes:
Get someone else to test drive the car when you have finished
Almost certainly the best advice you'll ever get on here or anywhere else!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Whilst brakes are a relatively easy job changing discs can be fraught with issues (ensuring there is no run out on the disc is important).
Simply changing pads is an easy job.
Whilst I'm all in favour of beginners learning to do their own work I'd not normally accept that doing a safety related item is a good idea.
To do this work you should have a certain minimum level of tools.
A decent range of sockets and spanners, a torque wrench and possibly a set of E sockets and Torx bits. You'll also need screwdrivers, pliers,a wire brush and possibly some wet and dry sandpaper.
How much of that do you have?

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
I would add a decent Jack (not the one that came with the car), a pair of axle stands, chocks to stop the car rolling and a good wheel brace to the list above.
Don't work on a car that is just held in the air by the flimsy Jack that was supplied with the car.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I have to agree with a lot of the above, it really is not just a simple buy the parts and fit. You will need all the tools required, sockets, star bits, spanners, grips, something to retract the pads, wire brush, maybe a power wire brush if hubs are very rusty. also a long breaker bar for getting the calliper bolts loose, decent jack and possibly axle stands and a lot of strength.If you have not got all the tooling, it may be a cheaper option to have them done in a garage.
Now, i suspect if you had an electrical fault you could fly through it.
With brakes, if you are unsure, give it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Don't put someone off DIY. Yes you need the right tools but with proper prep and procedure you can do brakes and they're a very satisfying job.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I think buying tools that will be used again and again is a way of life , if you like doing your own work . First time you do any job you have to shell out for tools , but often this purchase is what you would have paid someone to do the job for you .
For 25 years I have bourght nearly all the tools for any job in the house or on cars . Nearly all jobs now just require a walk into the garage and the only costs for house and car work is in the price of parts .
It's not everyone's thing but I get a lot of satisfaction in doing things myself .

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
Changing discs and pads is indeed an easy job for a beginner on a newish car. The difficulty is knowing how to solve any problems and snags that crop up on older ones. Things that an experienced person overcomes without a thought can ruin the day for a first timer.
Eg. Disc retaining screw sized, disc siezed onto hub, pads too tight to come out / go back in, pins siezed on sliding calipers, pistons won't push back in, setting up and adjusting handbrake on rears. All of them might need to be addressed. But we all started somewhere. My first job on a car was a leaky wheel cylinder on the front of a 105E Anglia. I didn't complete it myself. I had no idea what brake bleeding was or how to do it.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Don't put someone off DIY. Yes you need the right tools but with proper prep and procedure you can do brakes and they're a very satisfying job.
I'm all for DIY on cars but I do question starting the learning process on such an obviously safety related area of the car. If it were pads alone then yes perhaps but discs as well there are a few pitfalls that can lead to problems beyond the ability of a first timer or that create issues further down the line.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom