cls glow plug module

clspaul

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cls 320 v6
hello people,im new to this forum and im looking for some advice,i have an o8 cls 320 cdi v6 facelift model and my question is about the glowplug module,is it somthing i can change myself or do i have to take it to mercedes to get it changed? is it connected to the ecu? ie. does it need to be reprogrammed if i replace it with a new module or can i just swap it out myself? any any help would be greatfully recieved :) thanks

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Hi Paul..
I did my own about 3 weeks ago and yes it is something you can do yourself.
You will need a torx set for the bolts..
I cant remember the size and I cant check for you as my car isn't with me at the moment.
Do you know where the Relay is located on the V6 or do you want me to send you a photo ?
Its plug and play and NO recoding is needed.

Photo attached of the location.
You remove the engine cover by pulling upwards..

Attachments

• Glow Plug Relay.jpg
    Glow Plug Relay.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
OP
C

clspaul

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cls 320 v6
thats brilliant,thanks for your help,i will order the module and hopefully have it done somtime next week now that i know it dont need recoding :)

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
S.Speed, In your case that was ok, OP has not stated why he wants to change module, what are symptoms etc...

These V-engines are known to have difficult glow plug diagnosis, even measuring resistance will not always pin point faulty plug. That's the reason why usually all plugs are recommended to change at once.

virin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e280 cdi
what if i keep driving like thid

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
He's asking if he’ll damage his engine if his glow plugs aren’t working (I’m surmising)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
He's asking if he’ll damage his engine if his glow plugs aren’t working (I’m surmising)
Your guess is 3x longer than his statement :D (but you are probably right )

virin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e280 cdi
You guessed it right.Will i harm something if i use the car with following condition:Glow light on before starting ,goes off after engine fire,comes back immediatly and goes off after 15 secs.Never comes back again in to this cycle once engine is warm.Will this damage something in the car????Now dont call this 6x guys

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
You guessed it right.Will i harm something if i use the car with following condition:Glow light on before starting ,goes off after engine fire,comes back immediatly and goes off after 15 secs.Never comes back again in to this cycle once engine is warm.Will this damage something in the car????Now dont call this 6x guys
The cdi engines use the glow plugs when the car is running as well , not just at start up , so yes it will not allow maximum efficient combustion ? I wouldn't call this "damage" but if you intend to keep the car long term I would get the repairs done .

Last edited:

virin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e280 cdi
The cdi engines use the glow plugs when the car is running as well , not just at start up , so yes it will not allow maximum efficient combustion ? I wouldn't cause this "damage" but if you intend to keep the car long term I would get the repairs done .
Thanks buddy

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Im selling a used relay for £30 if interested..

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
My glow light stays on, (om642) this is after I changed the module too, so one or more of the plugs is knackered. Given the risk of one or more snapping in the head, (they're very thin) I've decided to leave it until I notice an issue, it starts very nicely and idle smoothly, even below freezing.

Now this probably isn't considered 'best' practice, but until I notice a problem, lumpy idle, white smoke maybe, I'm not risking it.

Make sure who ever tries to change them if that's what your going to do gets the engine really hot beforehand, I understand that reduces the chance of them breaking, others will advise though hopefully to confirm.

virin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e280 cdi
My glow light stays on, (om642) this is after I changed the module too, so one or more of the plugs is knackered. Given the risk of one or more snapping in the head, (they're very thin) I've decided to leave it until I notice an issue, it starts very nicely and idle smoothly, even below freezing.

Now this probably isn't considered 'best' practice, but until I notice a problem, lumpy idle, white smoke maybe, I'm not risking it.

Make sure who ever tries to change them if that's what your going to do gets the engine really hot beforehand, I understand that reduces the chance of them breaking, others will advise though hopefully to confirm.
Yes I too have faced such issues.removing one that is stuck is risky.I changed 5.light goes off now.But now light is on for 2 seconds before starting.Isnt it too less?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom