Electric car

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
it was reported that Mitsubishi sold alot of the outlander PHEV but over 80% of owners never used the electric side but bought it for tax reasons

Very low BIK for the company car user

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I heard of someone who bought quite a few of those with the strange belief that his employees would charge them at their expense at home instead of using his petrol account.

He now has a lot of 30 mpg rapidly depreciating barges to flog, it would have been cheaper to give them good spec diesel E classes

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
wont be doing electric ,made it my business to understand as much as possible of fossil fuel burners, at 62 i not in the mood to start all over wid mr watt/ohm/amp. ect i would want to see some real 10 yr ownership costs as well, tho i not convinced there will be much of that avail.....

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
wont be doing electric ,made it my business to understand as much as possible of fossil fuel burners, at 62 i not in the mood to start all over wid mr watt/ohm/amp. ect i would want to see some real 10 yr ownership costs as well, tho i not convinced there will be much of that avail.....

Me neither, and any legislation concerning the internal combustion engine won't affect me in my lifetime :rolleyes:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

That's simple it will cost more to buy give speculative mileage, range and depreciate like a Dixons desktop computer.

Oh and the one man able to fix them will be on holiday other than that expensive parts will be thrown at it till the computer says no.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Why are people so scared of electric cars? They're inherently far simpler than ICE and don't require any of the complexity of a hybrid.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Why are people so scared of electric cars?

Not sure they are ? Like the last episode of Top Gear, I found less interesting than the week before. Possibly because the three electric cars were quite boring more than anything else?

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
When I wuz a boy there wuz milk delivered each morning by a horse and cart in Liverpool, and by electric cart aka milk float, in the small town I lived in. The soundtrack was similar, clip clop, rattle; or buzz, whirr, rattle. When I started work there wuz electric, diseasel and lpg powered fork trucks...

...nothing new under the sun, just a different application at a different time.

Then came along personal computers after mainframes that we could 3D model overnight using a network across locations around the globe using information from satellites in the 1970s. My first job was involved in extracting bauxite to make planes and ships well before the primary product that today is mobile phones, tablet and laptops, that were not known of back then.

At some point will probably have a leccy run around town car, just as we currently have a lawn mower petrol engined run around town car.

Unfortunately there is generations that haven't been taught history, to look back to learn for the future as everything is on the internet, in TED talks and only by tech billionaires. However did we get out of the cave? Its all digital innit. But there are digits that each phase of human endeavour was developed, the year it was discovered, but not necessarily used to full potential.

The missing link is electrical energy storage, after we have energy security to create it. Bit more important than worrying about a leccy car.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i am a fan of progress , but feel i am able to decide which is progress as far as i am concerned , i believe the hydrogen thing will get sorted ,prob not in my lifetime for us "country" folk ,but it will likely happen ,i can even foresee a time when the fuel will be safely made at home or community type centers .in the meantime i am not going to become an electrickery guinea pig for the car industry. for me its just far to experimental on my pocket.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Can't we just replicate the highly efficient human body I could shovel old food in the back and off I would go.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I have been up all night working on it,

humancar.jpg

OP
R

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
Don’t want to until JB’s watched it ...
Too late, my misery has gone! Poor woman, she might have the last laugh though, I see an Israeli startup Eviation Aircraft made a big splash at the Paris Air Show with a prototype electric aircraft with a range of 650 miles at 10,000feet, it can only carry 9 passengers, but hey, even the longest journey starts with a small step.

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Isn't the biggest problem with electric cars going to be residual values? Who wants to buy a 7 year old EV with no range due to knackered batteries? On top Gear last week it was said that the effective range of the "11" plate Nissan Leaf was 35 miles ! That would be like driving with the fuel light on constantly and who likes to drive like that? Battery technology is the key so I think I shall wait a while jumping to an EV. By then it won't matter as I will probably be asking whether the visitors have been whilst dribbling.....

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom