Priming a newly fitted turbocharger in an OM646.963 Engine

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
How does one 'Prime' a newly fitted turbocharger without the injectors fitted and therefore how does one 'Stop' the fuel system from attempting to get fuel to the injection system?

Suffice to say I have already used a syringe to squirt fresh clean oil into the top of the turbo and also squirted oil into the feed pipe to the top of the turbo. When I squirted oil in the top though, not very much was accepted by the turbo. I therefore guess that the outlet pipe has no oil inside yet.

Any other details required please ask.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
You dont need to prime it. It's oil feed is directly from the pressure created by the engine and it will fill that small pipe in micro seconds under cranking. The wastegates are electronic so no load will go through the turbo unless the ECU will tell it too.

I would just ensure you change the oil and filter in the engine as part of the job.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
You dont need to prime it. It's oil feed is directly from the pressure created by the engine and it will fill that small pipe in micro seconds under cranking. The wastegates are electronic so no load will go through the turbo unless the ECU will tell it too.

I would just ensure you change the oil and filter in the engine as part of the job.

Yes I have changed the oil, 6.5 Litres of it and just waiting to change the filter now. I also had an injector failure at the same time. Well, a seal and bolt I guess failed resulting in a load of black stuff deposited at the top part of the injector. That has now all been cleaned away and the holes cleaned. I am now just awaiting a seat cutter to re cut the bottom of the injector holes.
I have read somewhere that you can crank or turn the engine without the injectors in so as to get the oil going around the system including the turbo. Although what is not stated is how you stop the fuel system from attempting to run while doing this. Any advice?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Yes I have changed the oil, 6.5 Litres of it and just waiting to change the filter now. I also had an injector failure at the same time. Well, a seal and bolt I guess failed resulting in a load of black stuff deposited at the top part of the injector. That has now all been cleaned away and the holes cleaned. I am now just awaiting a seat cutter to re cut the bottom of the injector holes.
I have read somewhere that you can crank or turn the engine without the injectors in so as to get the oil going around the system including the turbo. Although what is not stated is how you stop the fuel system from attempting to run while doing this. Any advice?

You can do that with a STAR diagnosis machine.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Any ideas as to how much these are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Approx £12,000 and only available to registered garages :)

No need to prime, but the engine will not fire if the injectors are unplugged.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
spot on LK

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
spot on LK

Right. Okay. I need some help here. I am at the stage where the injectors are still not in. I have squirted oil into the top of the injector while turning the inner spindle (?!). The oil initially started going down and then eventually stopped. I guess it was full at that point. I have also squirted oil into the feed pipe so that is full. Do I need to do anything else before the injector holes are re seated and the injectors re installed? I am on a very low budget (yes, ha ha ha, why do you have a Mercedes then?!! Because when i Was on a good contract I had the money 4 years ago. Not now though).

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
ERm.... Why are we filling the injectors with oil?

Also, I think you may be refering to the tips of the injectors, these should not be touched.

The seal surface needs to be imacuately clean so that the new copper washer seats. New bolts are needed as well.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
ERm.... Why are we filling the injectors with oil?

Also, I think you may be refering to the tips of the injectors, these should not be touched.

The seal surface needs to be imacuately clean so that the new copper washer seats. New bolts are needed as well.

No!!! The turbocharger. I have had to replace my turbo charger and take out my injectors.
Just waiting for the seat cutter to arrive and have bought new bolts, copper washers and bolt holders.
New oil and filter bought so I thought I would replace ALL my filters at the same time.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom