Some useful information on poor MPG 2003 E270

RUBBER_UNDIES

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 w211 E270 177 BHP
Hello all.

I've been struggling with poor mpg for the past 18 months on my 2003 w211 e270. 180.000 miles

The car was very hesitant to accelerate. Especially when cold. Was only seeing 60 miles out of 16 litres of fuel. My initial thought was the vanes in the turbo. But these were completely free.

After a long process of numerous scans and elimination, nothing was showing up.

I replaced the crank and cam sensors and BANG!

It's like a new car again and mpg is instantly back to normal. These sensors determine the timing of the injection of fuel.

Hope this helps everybody.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Thank you. I must say I find it hard to believe. Did you change the air filter at the same time?
Did you just notice an improvement in the mpg, OR
did the engine sound more in tune as well.
If you still have the old ones, please put pictures up.
Secondly, please measure the resistance of the two sensors and let us know.

OP
RUBBER_UNDIES

RUBBER_UNDIES

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 w211 E270 177 BHP
Thank you. I must say I find it hard to believe. Did you change the air filter at the same time?
Did you just notice an improvement in the mpg, OR
did the engine sound more in tune as well.
If you still have the old ones, please put pictures up.
Secondly, please measure the resistance of the two sensors and let us know.

Hello. The engine felt as though it was detuned.
Always holding back under throttle. I would get limp mode with an overboost code. But the turbo and actuator where found to be fine on star.. The cam and crank sensors wont throw a code even if they are faulty. This only happens when the car wont start. Which it did every time. The air filter got changed in March when it had a full service. I still have the cam shaft sensor but I dont think I have the crank sensor but I'll look.

Are you having the same problem?

OP
RUBBER_UNDIES

RUBBER_UNDIES

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 w211 E270 177 BHP
Mpg went straight back up instantly.

All I did was change the sensors. Nothing else. Has been fine for 4 days now.

OP
RUBBER_UNDIES

RUBBER_UNDIES

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 w211 E270 177 BHP
I remember testing resistance on the crank sensor. It was 1.81 ohms. The cam sensor is 5.6 ohm .the engine sounds a lot better and is a lot smoother with better perfect MPG. It also gets warmer faster now and stays at where it should be.

I fully believe that the fuel wasn't igniting properly due to the failing sensors. I think it was the crank sensor at fault but changed them both anyway for 45 quid. Tried to upload pictures of the cam sensor but keep encountering an error.

The cam sensor part number is

A 003 153 97 28

Look at this link. Tells you all about them. The cam sensor is the same.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIEBAI&usg=AOvVaw2LiwNtEFUh8_EHjZXBT14n

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
That is very interesting buddy , glad it worked out at such a cheap fix . Although 18 months of fuel must have cost a bit !
I'd be interested to hear from any of the Indies if they change these on older cars just as a matter of preventative maintenance ? Especially at such a cheap parts cost

OP
RUBBER_UNDIES

RUBBER_UNDIES

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 w211 E270 177 BHP
That is very interesting buddy , glad it worked out at such a cheap fix . Although 18 months of fuel must have cost a bit !
I'd be interested to hear from any of the Indies if they change these on older cars just as a matter of preventative maintenance ? Especially at such a cheap parts cost
Cheers buddy.

I'm not one for throwing parts at a car to resolve issues. That's why it took me so long. There weren't any fault codes and started okay everytime. Never cut out etc.... They're an easy part to overlook.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Hi.
Well done. Can I ask, were they easy to replace as I have read some awful stories where the crankshaft sensor would not come out after bolt released. One guy had to engine removed after it broke off in the hole.
Did you spray releasing fluid on it.
I ask because I have the ml270, which I believe is same engine and its a job that is bound to happen.
Camshaft one looks easy.

OP
RUBBER_UNDIES

RUBBER_UNDIES

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 w211 E270 177 BHP
Hi.
Well done. Can I ask, were they easy to replace as I have read some awful stories where the crankshaft sensor would not come out after bolt released. One guy had to engine removed after it broke off in the hole.
I ask because I have the ml270, which I believe is same engine and its a job that is bound to happen.
Camshaft one looks easy.

Hello there.

The crank shaft sensor on mine was at 1 o' clock on the bell housing looking from the front of the car. I could see mine standing at the passenger side wing and looking below the EGR cooler.

You will need an E8 Socket for the retaining bolt. Dont use any other socket because you'll round it off.

Use a couple of long extensions. Wobble ones if possible. And a 1/4 drive ratchet. The bolt will be tight. The sensor should come straight out.

The plug was a pain to get off because of the room restriction. You wont be able to get the plug off until you've removed the sensor form the bell housing.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Hi.
Camshaft one looks easy.

They can get stuck. Its luck of the draw.
Sometimes you can work them back and forth in the small channel, until they come free. Sometimes the engine/box have to be seperated to get it out.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom