SLK230 - topping up coolant

bernieg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK/2001/2.3
Hi everybody,

I have a 2001 SLK230 which I have owned since 2006.

I normally perform a few simple monthly maintenance checks, which includes checking the coolant level.

For years, the coolant level float has not budged and has always been right at the top of chamber due to the high fluid level. However, a month ago I noticed it had dropped slightly. Just carried out this month's check and it looks as though it is down very slightly again.

The coolant warning lamp is not coming on and I had a look at the owner's manual and there is only information in there about how to check it, and not how to top it up.

As I only plan to keep the car for a few more months I simply want to top it up.

Is the coolant that MB parts sells added neat as/is, or does it need to be mixed 50/50 with tap water before adding?

Many thanks in advance.

bern

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
You can pick up a tin from mercedes dealers that will be already mixed up [pre mixed ] and ready to put right in to the system .Or just top it up for now with distilled water .But later on if you do keep it ,then a refill of 50/50 will need doing

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.... and there is only information in there about how to check it, and not how to top it up.

To top it up you need to unscrew the cap off the header tank ie the bit where you're looking at the level.

DO NOT DO THIS WHEN THE ENGINE IS HOT.

Pour the coolant/water in until the level is at the the MAX as marked on the tank

Top Bottom