Disabling EGR

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Hi. Iam currently thinking of installig the bypas. We have the same car. I just need assistance regarding ecu plug identification and pin identification. I can not identify the maf wire because i dont know were to start counting the ecu plug . Do i start from near the engine side ?

Dieselman hasn't been on here since 2013, I don't know why.
Shame a kowlegable chap who has no doubt helped many a driver here.

Anyway use a torch to examine the ECU plug closely, I expect you will find the numbering of the pins that way.

Also, just vaguely possible, if you read through the many, many posts you may find 'another' has carried out the mod and listed the numbers / colours for you. The C203 220 may even be the same??

Siver benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 2002 cdi
Dieselman hasn't been on here since 2013, I don't know why.
Shame a kowlegable chap who has no doubt helped many a driver here.

Thank you M80.
Anyway use a torch to examine the ECU plug closely, I expect you will find the numbering of the pins that way.

Also, just vaguely possible, if you read through the many, many posts you may find 'another' has carried out the mod and listed the numbers / colours for you. The C203 220 may even be the same??

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Hi Dave

Cannot comment on the French mot, but UK one is unaffected. The same problem does exist, but yours has a spanking new inlet manifold so will be fine for 80k at least!

Hope all is well.

Mmmm. But the mod will keep it that way and improve the performance of the engine as well....

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Egr operation causes incomplete combustion too , so increased soot .

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Egr operation causes incomplete combustion too , so increased soot .

No argument there but it is worth noting that it is a reduction in emmissions measure. These days I hear people get hung for circumnavigating such things, by neck or goolies is down to the specific lynch mob.

But also like the DPF when things aren't working as designed the overall result can become a negative.
Both use more fuel, can't be better for the planet that bit.
I won't go too much into DPF but all these forced regens and the many motors that fail to recognise a complete regen and so try again after a short time can't be good for the planet either.

My EGR is seemingly doing its job as I see that it can open as far as 70% on occassion.
But it is designed to reduce exhaust temperatures so in theory shouldn't operate until the engine temp has risen, somewhere near operating temp at least. Mine start to do it's stuff as early as 40 degrees on a warm day, and mine doesn't have exhaust temperature sensing to know when that's too hot.
It'll sit there at tickover open at 20 degrees on occassion, it shouldn't.

I can still see 42mpg on a good run so not overly concerned but the around town mpg is not so attractive. It can struggle to get above 20mpg till I leave the Shity of Manchester.

But I would never, ever, ever tell you all I had deleted such things, I'm far to conscientious to do that.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Mmmm. But the mod will keep it that way and improve the performance of the engine as well....

Very true. For shorter journeys the EGR will allow the engine to warm quicker, as exhaust gasses dump heat back into the cooling sytem via the EGR cooler, which ends up with better economy, at least for for the first 15 minutes on a cold start.

Otherwise, its better to keep it closed.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Some remapping companies claim their egr off file is just that , warm up - operational , up to temp off/shut .

Siver benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 2002 cdi
Hi everyone.
I was able to do the egr bypass. It was great at first but my e220 cdi went to limp mode after a few kms. After turning off the engine and start again, the engine would not turn over and would just crank. I removed the bypass gadget. After doing so, the engine started in a normal manner.
It gave me a scare. What do you think happened? Do i need to adjust something?

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Should of been OK as after 2003 all manufacturers had to have egr fault monitoring , maybe Merc was doing it before ??

Look into egr off mapping / remapping ?

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Hi everyone.
I was able to do the egr bypass. It was great at first but my e220 cdi went to limp mode after a few kms. After turning off the engine and start again, the engine would not turn over and would just crank. I removed the bypass gadget. After doing so, the engine started in a normal manner.
It gave me a scare. What do you think happened? Do i need to adjust something?

You have done something incorrectly. Hundreds have used the bypass successfully. Check all the connections carefully.

Kaurinho

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl203/2004/c220cdi
Hallo everyone, i managed to put the emulator, the complicated one with transistor, 4 resistors and diode on my om646 c220 cl203. I must say car runs really smooth now, on low rpms really got power and torque he used not to have. I just think,and car also says fuel usage grew to 6,3l/100km which should be about 45 mpg. I find it a bit too much, but they also used to vary before from 4,8 l/100km up to 7-8 average.. I tried same road where yesterday with plugged EGR i had 5,5 or less, now with unplugged and Emulator connected I got 6,3 l. Why would it be so? Or car needs some few days to adjustment or something else? Btw no fault codes and no check engine.. Car drives really better now

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Hallo everyone, i managed to put the emulator, the complicated one with transistor, 4 resistors and diode on my om646 c220 cl203. I must say car runs really smooth now, on low rpms really got power and torque he used not to have. I just think,and car also says fuel usage grew to 6,3l/100km which should be about 45 mpg. I find it a bit too much, but they also used to vary before from 4,8 l/100km up to 7-8 average.. I tried same road where yesterday with plugged EGR i had 5,5 or less, now with unplugged and Emulator connected I got 6,3 l. Why would it be so? Or car needs some few days to adjustment or something else? Btw no fault codes and no check engine.. Car drives really better now

Most people have experienced the opposite - better response and slightly better economy. You might be enjoying the better low down power more and thus burning a little more fuel...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Most people have experienced the opposite - better response and slightly better economy. You might be enjoying the better low down power more and thus burning a little more fuel...
They do and I believe it’s because you can maintain progress. Yes you might be traveling faster but if you don’t have to slow down all the time for traffic jams and roadworks you’re using less fuel overall :D

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Another point - don't trust the computer for economy readouts. Do a fill to fill to get proper results. It is common knowledge that re-mapping throws the computers out a lot. Can't see why the egr shunt should do that but I guess anything is possible.

Ian.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Another point - don't trust the computer for economy readouts. Do a fill to fill to get proper results. It is common knowledge that re-mapping throws the computers out a lot. Can't see why the egr shunt should do that but I guess anything is possible.

Ian.

Re-mapping not so much, as most of the CRD,Siemens and Bosch put out a pulse related to the actual fuel injected.
Tuning boxes do as the output the ecu is sending, is being messed with.

Kaurinho

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl203/2004/c220cdi
Thanks for responding. As I said I feel my car going better, maybe a bit louder but driving well.. And I know my computer economy readouts aren't correct, i found it after refilling my tank to be on average 7 l/100km which are a bit much for open road, especially if my dad's car same,but older engine, without dpf and stuff use 5l.
But those readings really vary on same road different day or later same day from 5,5-6,8 last days. Could it be something with DPF or something, or there is another thing i could check out

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for responding. As I said I feel my car going better, maybe a bit louder but driving well.. And I know my computer economy readouts aren't correct, i found it after refilling my tank to be on average 7 l/100km which are a bit much for open road, especially if my dad's car same,but older engine, without dpf and stuff use 5l.
But those readings really vary on same road different day or later same day from 5,5-6,8 last days. Could it be something with DPF or something, or there is another thing i could check out

Most of the on board readings are out 10-15% so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Top Bottom