Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
OP has OM651 and 7g+ 722.9 .

5 years/77,500 .

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Did jack on either of my 722.6 equipped cars nor on my previous 2.

You'll find the exact same procedure posted for BMW, Audi, VW....
Which given they use different gearbox and ECU/TCU manufacturers I'd find hard to believe.

Same as my old CLK, did absolutely nothing.
The gearboxes are constantly adapting. It's been said that it will change/adapt after as little as 40 gear changes from one driver to another or if it notes just a change in style of driving.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
OP has OM651 and 7g+ 722.9 .

5 years/77,500 .
Yes, as is the schedule in my 2014 service booklet relating to the 722.908 box, but in the 2012 Service booklet associated with the 722.9xx it's 4 Years or 40k, it's there in the publication, if you don't agree with MB I suggest you contact them and tell them they've got it wrong!

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Like I said things change..

I phoned late last year two dealers and two independents , 5 years /77,500 .

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, as is the schedule in my 2014 service booklet relating to the 722.908 box, but in the 2012 Service booklet associated with the 722.9xx it's 4 Years or 40k, it's there in the publication, if you don't agree with MB I suggest you contact them and tell them they've got it wrong!

Well they did get my CLK wrong. Like all of the boxes at that time they were supposed to be sealed for life, after a few years and some warranty claims, they said 4 years or 40,000 miles.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's

We go by the current interval. The currently listed interval always takes precedence over pri ter stuff. Eg sealed for life vs oh now there should be a change.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We go by the current interval. The currently listed interval always takes precedence over pri ter stuff. Eg sealed for life vs oh now there should be a change.
And that's an acceptable practice Alex, any consumer would be readily receptive to new or any change information from an official MB representative, but when an internet forum member simply makes matter-of-fact statements without any supporting source information that is contrary to current MB published information has to be challenged, vehemently.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And that's an acceptable practice Alex, any consumer would be readily receptive to new or any change information from an official MB representative, but when an internet forum member simply makes matter-of-fact statements without any supporting source information that is contrary to current MB published information has to be challenged, vehemently.

Like yourself? The only difference is the evidence you gave as back up was years out of date. Pot/kettle?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Like yourself? The only difference is the evidence you gave as back up was years out of date. Pot/kettle?

:):)
Well not quite, my supporting documentation is current and the same age of the car! ultimately, at the end of the day, does it really matter? most members on the forum will change the ATF every 30k Miles, but as far as the OP's situation is concerned then surely it's a bigger bullet for his gun isn't it?!

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
2010 documentation .

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachme...nt-than-c250-way-better-than-c300-7g-plus.pdf

" The new transmission oil
is not backwards compatible due to the tar-
get-oriented optimization measures imple-
mented for all tribological systems, which
encompass the oil itself and the bearings,
seals, gearing, and friction plates. To visu-
ally reinforce this, the transmission fluid has
been dyed blue instead of the previous red
to prevent confusion during maintenance.
Optimized vehicle cooling, an improved
fluid formula, and reduced friction through-
out the transmission translate into extended
service intervals, whereby the fluid no
longer must be replaced the first 50,000 km,
but every 125,000 km only. "

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 documentation .

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachme...nt-than-c250-way-better-than-c300-7g-plus.pdf

" The new transmission oil
is not backwards compatible due to the tar-
get-oriented optimization measures imple-
mented for all tribological systems, which
encompass the oil itself and the bearings,
seals, gearing, and friction plates. To visu-
ally reinforce this, the transmission fluid has
been dyed blue instead of the previous red
to prevent confusion during maintenance.
Optimized vehicle cooling, an improved
fluid formula, and reduced friction through-
out the transmission translate into extended
service intervals, whereby the fluid no
longer must be replaced the first 50,000 km,
but every 125,000 km only. "

Hmm very interesting, and did they conjure up a C Class version for use in the OP's vehicle?

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-long-term-impact-your-car-s-engine

With mentions of top group 5 Ester oil basestock to reduce friction every engine can benefit from this .

But people are blinkered and just go with what's in the book or dealer recommended .

Absolutely no reason why you couldn't put a higher quality oil in .

There's alot to protect here , possible start stop extra wear to bearings , single timing chain , two turbos .

I've yet to hear of the previous OM646 duplex timing chains issues .

Last edited:

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-long-term-impact-your-car-s-engine

With mentions of top group 5 Ester oil basestock to reduce friction every engine can benefit from this .

But people are blinkered and just go with what's in the book or dealer recommended .

There's alot to protect here , possible start stop extra wear to bearings , single timing chain , two turbos .

I've yet to hear of the previous OM646 duplex timing chains issues .

That's a great find
Who would've thought that manufacturers would actually introduce rust onto crankshaft bearings

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
but in the 2012 Service booklet associated with the 722.9xx it's 4 Years or 40k, it's there in the publication, if you don't agree with MB I suggest you contact them and tell them they've got it wrong!

Same as mine (2012 7G+), confirmed to be correct by 2 main dealers and 2 independents in 2016 when it required doing.

To the OP, what you are describing definitely does not sound right and certainly not how mine is, so following it up is the right thing to do.

Last edited:

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Isn't it best to turn off the stop/start function on the OM651 engine due to potential timing chain issues later in life?

No evidence of any issues being caused by using stop / start. Many 200,000+ mile taxis using this engine with stop start left on. Sure you get the odd failure of starter motors etc, but that was the case before stop start as well and just down to the mean failure rate of the mechanical parts.

If people find it annoying then they should switch it off. If they don't then leave it on.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yes there is.
When GL5 oils came out the initial formulation contained a component that dissolved yellow metals used as thrust washers in differentials. The old GL4 oil had no such issues. Differentials designed for GL5 likewise had no issues as the metals used were resistant to attack.
Unless you know for sure that the new oil is safe to use do not use anything other than manufacture recommended/approved lubricants.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
No evidence of any issues being caused by using stop / start. Many 200,000+ mile taxis using this engine with stop start left on. Sure you get the odd failure of starter motors etc, but that was the case before stop start as well and just down to the mean failure rate of the mechanical parts.
That's not what my mechanic mare says....

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Yes there is.
When GL5 oils came out the initial formulation contained a component that dissolved yellow metals used as thrust washers in differentials. The old GL4 oil had no such issues. Differentials designed for GL5 likewise had no issues as the metals used were resistant to attack.
Unless you know for sure that the new oil is safe to use do not use anything other than manufacture recommended/approved lubricants.

Don't worry I know ;) .

That's why we have some GL5 for manual gearboxes and some GL5 for diffs , formulations are different .

Most higher performance engine oils will be excellent , no reason to be worried .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't worry I know ;) .

That's why we have some GL5 for manual gearboxes and some GL5 for diffs , formulations are different .

Most higher performance engine oils will be excellent , no reason to be worried .
The key word in your statement is "most".
Unless you know use only oils that meet the required spec.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom