What classified sites represent the car market?

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Howdy folks,

I'm working on a small project at the moment and wondering what car classifieds sites are most popular and represent the market?

I'm wondering about sites such as AutoTrader, where private/professional sellers post adverts and joe public, browse to find their next car. Not so much interested in aggregators or such.

I like AutoTrader.co.uk and motors.co.uk seems good.

Can't figure out carsnip.com - are they just an aggregator, as in they index dealer websites and then link back to the dealer page when somebody clicks a listing?

I'm not sure about what I am missing with buyacar.co.uk either. It seems they are like a large online car supermarket. Do they own all the stock?

I guess to clarify - what I am looking for is sites that contain listings added by the seller and not some fancy form of arbitrage or whatever where an item for sale ends up being duplicated in multiple places. I know there is nothing stopping the seller from listing in multiple places, which is fine by me.

How would you rate the quality of listings on places like GumTree? I'm not asking about Facebook at all as I have no interest in that.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

(Edit: Thanks :D)

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
When looking for a car I think the majority still turn to Autotrader first and foremost before their local newpaper.
Spreading the field further Pistonheads, eBay and Gumtree can turn up good cars, with Pistonheads being more enthusiast orientated.

The best "all in one" site I've found is this one, which takes a lot of legwork out of actually searching different sites.
https://www.autovillage.co.uk/used-car

Last edited:

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
Depends on the price of the vehicle. The last time I used Autotrader it cost me circa £50 which is fine if the vehicle's worth several thousand. If it's only a worth couple of thousand, Gumtree (which was free the last time I used it) is likely to be better in attracting a more relevant audience.
I used Facebook Marketplace for something else once, never again. Full of complete timewasters and idiots.
(Haven't used any of the others.)

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
These look like good sites.

Having done some quick comparative searches, it appears that there is a lot of duplication with AutoTrader being master.

Understood about the relevance of the overall value of the car, but for what I would be interested in I think AutoTrader is fairly representative of the market.

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Roger had it right on the second post

AT is the broadest but not best site. It is representative
EBay and certainly Gumtree (or even faceache) can turn up Bargains, but usually at the bargain end of the market.
EBay has upped it's appeal in recent year, but Piston heads and others (Inc forums) are where you find specifics (such as E63 AMGs. o_O....)

In summary, AT still rules the roost for most buyers and sellers, less 5 - 10% on price due to final negotiations (all IMHO of course)

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds good lads. Thanks.

(Case closed m'lord :D)

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
The great thing about ebay is you can tick the box to look at previously sold items and see what the market actually pays, rather than an overpriced private sale that no one will buy.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The great thing about ebay is you can tick the box to look at previously sold items and see what the market actually pays, rather than an overpriced private sale that no one will buy.

Verry good idea!

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
like anything when buying / selling , the bigger the market the more idiots and time wasters you attract , I have my 221 on ebay , message this afternoon asking for a contact number , sender had 0 feedback and had only just joined ebay so a complete timewaster , just have to take the rough with the smooth pal

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
The other side of EBay if you try and sell on it that I found, is the winning bidder arranges to pay for & pick up the car and then you never hear from him again. Also, the amount of dimwits that ask will you accept £xxxx, usually less than half it's value.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I agree there are many time wasters on ebay, but at the same time you reach a huge market for seeling hard to shift items.
Ive sold cars, motorbikes and atv,s with great success..
Sold the same boat on ebay 3 times as first two paid deposit then never bothered turning up, so kept both deposits and went on to sell for the third time getting way more thanit was worth..
Bought both my Mercedes on ebay and the current one is better than the description ! Its worth putting up with the carp and the rewards can certainly outweight the hassle.

Top Bottom