Speeding in France warning! Roll On Brexit!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
How much does that cost? (Must download an update from SCDB before I set off south at the end of the month)
€45 so not worth arguing over - 4.35 mph over the limit. France is obviously very short of currency

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
France has found a new way to make money. Read an article recently, request from France to the DVLA for keeper information has rocketed in the last 12 months. Fortunately other countries are not doing the same, yet!

Last edited:

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I've just been invited to attend a driver re-education course next month :( ... I was just slow enough to not get points. :eek: (49 in a 40 .... the cut off was 53 before points)
That's an awkward one! Insurance Co's request information on Convictions, Amount of Fine and Points awarded, so if you decline you'll get a conviction and a fine which you will have to declare but if you accept the invitation you'll pay for the training and forfeit the fine and conviction and will not need to inform your insurers?
I earned three points on the M25 around this time Last Year and declined such an offer of Motorway Training in the belief that 3 additional points giving me 6 in total for minor speeding infringements wouldn't have a negative effect on my insurance which it didn't in the current Year until I came to renew recently and to such a degree that Direct Line declined to offer me a premium!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I thought I’d avoided the “Toll Roads” I obviously hadn’t...:rolleyes:
There are no toll roads in Brittany (or Normandy for that matter). Other than the type where you pay for the privilege of driving faster.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
There are no toll roads in Brittany (or Normandy for that matter). Other than the type where you pay for the privilege of driving faster.
I saw the van and at 117kmh (73mph) I thought (incorrectly as it turns out) that 7kmh (4.35mph) over wouldn’t result in a fine. The tolerances are an awful lot tighter in France than the U.K. now :(

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
That's an awkward one! Insurance Co's request information on Convictions, Amount of Fine and Points awarded, so if you decline you'll get a conviction and a fine which you will have to declare but if you accept the invitation you'll pay for the training and forfeit the fine and conviction and will not need to inform your insurers?
.... !

I have graciously accepted their imitation :D

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
I have graciously accepted their imitation :D

Remember you are expected to actively engage in the 'training' programme, else you might not pass and get the points and fine.

A few pointers:
When they mention about overtaking a stopped bus in a 30mph limit and the stopping distance at 30 in case someone steps out. Ask why you would be driving at anywhere near 30 when you noticed the bus was indicating to pull up at the signed bus stop ahead and you reduced your speed in anticipation of the bus stopping. You also, as a responsible and aware driver anticipate a pedestrian may very well walk out in front of the bus, you decide to remain behind the bus as a sensible driver would do.

When they hark on about the 70mph motorway limit as you head for the chunnel/ferry and how in England it is a limit, but when you cross to France you have to drive faster and on the other side of the road on the wrong side of the car, but that is perfectly safe. If you go too slow you get fined too.

Start/stop is for environmental reasons, so why is it equivalent to an extra passenger in your car all the time?

Why do the Police drivers in the film run the cones over instead of reducing speed before locking their brakes and skidding into the cones representing pedestrians. Is ABS not to facilitate steering under breaking in emergency situations or when you are driving too fast for the conditions?

Pay attention and pick up every single incorrect point in the material they use to re-edumacate you.

Enjoy, it's a laff :D:cool:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It always makes me laugh that the mantra is speed kills, yet here we all are on a ball of rock doing tens of thousands of miles per hour yet an extra ten might kill me. It's not speed that kills, it's inappropriate speed is the issue.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
It always makes me laugh that the mantra is speed kills, yet here we all are on a ball of rock doing tens of thousands of miles per hour yet an extra ten might kill me. It's not speed that kills, it's inappropriate speed is the issue.
Speed in its self does not kill, its only when its associated with other factors.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
try telling plod/french. that !!!! anyway plod here often fly,past me at 5 to 12 or 5 to 2 then go into my local for lunch a few vin and a parting coffee and shot back at 6 pm for a few more. dont think rural plod looking for a careful driver, even one with a few beers inside but if stopped by or for any kind of accident you will get bagged.

Last edited:

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
That stupid mantra still irritates me quite extremely. I had a "discussion" with a speed cop some years who said it to me and I crawled down his throat a bit. He tried to temper the argument with the old "if someone pulls out in front of you..." I pointed out that he had driven at around 140 to catch me up from a standing start and if someone had pulled out in front there would almost certainly have been a collision. But whereas his really excessive speed might have killed, mine certainly wouldn't.

Funny really, he sent me on my way with a handshake!

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
Wonderful..... !

Ill keep an eye on the post then...

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I earned three points on the M25 around this time Last Year and declined such an offer of Motorway Training in the belief that 3 additional points giving me 6 in total for minor speeding infringements wouldn't have a negative effect on my insurance which it didn't in the current Year until I came to renew recently and to such a degree that Direct Line declined to offer me a premium!
Why would anyone decline the offer of training, or the safety course for 3 points for 3 years? I did this, yes it's really tedious and condesending, but after 3.5 hours you're out without points.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
The heading of this thread is good for a laugh. The minute we are no longer EU members you can guarantee there will be absolutely no leeway for UK drivers and tickets will start flying it where your speed is 2kph over the limit...

But they don't want to punish UK drivers... o_O

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom