W203 C230K 1.8 Engine noise cold start

Dainis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230k / 2004 / 1.8
Hi all,
Since I've got the car back in December, it makes a weird noise on a cold starts. I am not a car guru and before throwing money out I came for advise.

It happens just after engine cools down and once starting to warm up the noise goes away and sounds healthy.

Miles - 113k
Year - 2004
Serviced - 2k miles ago
Timing Chain Replaced @80k by previous owner.

Video of the sound, It sounds like a pulley /belt to me? The sound is louder in the belt area and quieter near TC, drivers front side.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Hi all,
Since I've got the car back in December, it makes a weird noise on a cold starts. I am not a car guru and before throwing money out I came for advise.

It happens just after engine cools down and once starting to warm up the noise goes away and sounds healthy.

Miles - 113k
Year - 2004
Serviced - 2k miles ago
Timing Chain Replaced @80k by previous owner.

Video of the sound, It sounds like a pulley /belt to me? The sound is louder in the belt area and quieter near TC, drivers front side.

That sounds like a dry bearing in one of the pulleys. Take off the serpentine belt and see if you can determine which one by spinning each one. I don't think it is coming from the timing chain area.

Ernie

ErnieC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clc 180 kompressor 2009
Hi all,
Since I've got the car back in December, it makes a weird noise on a cold starts. I am not a car guru and before throwing money out I came for advise......

Hi Dainis, Did you get to the cause of this? I have the same noise!

OP
D

Dainis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230k / 2004 / 1.8
Hi Dainis, Did you get to the cause of this? I have the same noise!
Hello,
Yeah, it was my drive belt. Sprayed a little bit of water inside the belt and the noise went away. So had a new one fitted, everything is fine now. The belt looked good, but it was stretched a little bit and we couldn't tighten it anymore.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom