SL55 R230 rear window not working

magpie21

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
The passenger side rear 1/4 window has been intermittently sticking of late in the closed position. Up until now this has been rectified by opening and closing the door window a couple of times and eventually it has worked. For the last two days it hasn't! When the door opens the window does not drop or move however this has not stopped the door from working. Also as it is stuck the roof will not open. Upon operating the roof the boot will open until the point the window is supposed to drop and then stop.
I have tried resetting the windows by holding the window switch for four seconds once the door window is closed but this has not helped.
Any suggestions here will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This could be the motor or connection to the motor, there is a lot of work to get to this, and much of the interior to be removed, you could get a STAR read out that might give a clue else where like in the N69 door control ECU

OP
M

magpie21

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
Thanks Malcolm
I guessed it would be a bit of work, I've taken the interior trim panel off and have met a solid wall, literally.
Is it worth trying to strip it all or am i better biting the bullet and booking it in somewhere?
Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can give you the info for removing the motor so you can get to it. its a lot of work but easy work.

OP
M

magpie21

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
If you don't mind that would be great - thankyou

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Email sent from you other post.

pugme

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl55/03/5.5
An old post I'm aware, but I put my roof down on the weekend to discover my rear passenger side window wouldn't drop.

With the roof back up I could hear things happening when the switch was pressed, but the window was not moving.

Any chance I could have a copy of the info so I too can pull my car apart. Lol

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
An old post I'm aware, but I put my roof down on the weekend to discover my rear passenger side window wouldn't drop.

With the roof back up I could hear things happening when the switch was pressed, but the window was not moving.

Any chance I could have a copy of the info so I too can pull my car apart. Lol
Sadly Malcolm (aka Television) passed away in August of last year.

I'm guessing this was the file.

Attachments

• 230 rear side window.pdf
    546.8 KB · Views: 159

Quinmero1

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 sl500
Hello there, I was wondering is is file would work for the right side as well??

IRJ W

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2002 , CL500 2000, CL500 2008,
Hello there, I was wondering is is file would work for the right side as well??

I assume this method will also apply if wanting to access and replace the window motor?

Car is right hand drive. Is there a way of testing whether the fault is motor failure or other electrical explanation - like switch failure - before opening up the window mechanism access?
Both drivers door and passenger door switches are working perfectly for door windows. RHS quarter window working. Vario roof will not operate beyond the stage where the quarter window should open.
Is this window fault unusual at circa 110 000 km ?

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
I assume this method will also apply if wanting to access and replace the window motor?

Car is right hand drive. Is there a way of testing whether the fault is motor failure or other electrical explanation - like switch failure - before opening up the window mechanism access?
Both drivers door and passenger door switches are working perfectly for door windows. RHS quarter window working. Vario roof will not operate beyond the stage where the quarter window should open.
Is this window fault unusual at circa 110 000 km ?
Only way of testing would be to get a diagnosis on Star, otherwise you're going to have to access the motor itself to test. I wouldn't say the fault is unusual - there have been similar posts on all MB forums.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Also having same prob rear left window bin stuck open for more than week now be grateful for this info too !!! Thanks
Also having same prob rear left window bin stuck open for more than week now be grateful for this info too !!! Thanks
Television (Malcolm) sadly passed away in 2017- but the info you need is in an attachment in post #8 above

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom