MercedesSource Videos on Youtube and Preventative Medicine

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Not sure if anyone watches this guy but as I'm trying to understand how my car (and cars in general work) and maintain it myself I find these videos very interesting and the guy seems knowledgable and has a nice factual presenting style - all the cars are also my favourite era of mercs W123/124/126/140 and the camera angles mean you can see what he's actually doing.

That said I've seen his three ways to kill your diesel engine and he recommends oil changes every 3,000 miles and to bench test injectors every 60k miles and replace the air filter often/clean housing.

I replace the air filter/clean housing once a year (18k miles) so OK on that count but also do the oil then. Now I know 18k is probably on the high side for oil (i intend to do a 6 month one but I'm always too busy/forget, etc) but does anyone change oil/filter every 3k miles?? That would be every 2 months for me?

Also I've never removed/replaced/checked any injectors in 95k miles of ownership (and unlikely to have been done by PO for a long time before). As it gets exceptional mpg that surprises poeple (50mpg + on long runs) and doesn't smoke (except after very long idles/on cold start) does that mean there's no need to start messing around with injectors (and potentially causing more problems)? Or is this something any older diesel owner does all the time.

Maybe I've been taken in because this guy is selling stuff so it's in his interest to sell this preventative medicine - he also has videos on "regular" valve adjustments, diesel purges, etc. But is this normal? Because on this site which is full of enthusiasts and many with great mechanical skills and knowledge I don't think I've read from anyone (perhaps except Submariner1) proactively taking things to pieces and rebuilding them when there's no actual problems/obvious signs that sometnhing maybe wrong... the only thing people seem to do is follow normal service intervals/items until there's a problem...

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
I get my oil changed at the service interval usually around 13k But I do intend on doing it 6 monthly now.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
On my annual service the car has only usually done about 4,500 miles so mine is changed at 4,500 miles :)

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
Yes i seem to remember watching this guys videos. He was very knowledgeable and clearly an expert with Mercedes badges everywhere. I will be doing my oil changes more often now until mine doesn’t pass or is too costly to pass the Mot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Yes i seem to remember watching this guys videos. He was very knowledgeable and clearly an expert with Mercedes badges everywhere. I will be doing my oil changes more often now until mine doesn’t pass or is too costly to pass the Mot.

Have you got it running yet?

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I had a 2006 CLK270CDI & in those days servicing was on millage I think 16K miles. I did about 115K miles in that car never had an engine problem.
Now retired & only doing about 6K miles a year, which is when the oil is changed.

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
Have you got it running yet?

No. My girlfriend won’t let me back to her house until I have de-flea’d my house. Had a major flea infestation a few weeks back and have not been back to work on my car since. Of course I’m not happy but without any other transport bar public, there is nothing I can do. Flea treatment has partly arrived. Ie now have flea spray. Just need smoke bombs now.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Kent Bragsna is a very good for his informative videos on the Mercedes and a must for up and coming owners to get to know all about the model they own . And whats more its his step by step method , and his well made videos are some of the best you will find.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
He's well annoying, IMO.
All their 'kits' cost top $.

I guess that there's enough folk that can't 'think round the fix' and buy from him?

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
om that is the problem with Kents web site , out for cash .But they are all up to it And i would purchase from him if i was local .I loved his pop tester video .But you have to purchase from Kent --in his words special modified for fuel injection .

Top Bottom