W203 180K Water pump replacement

madmart132

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180k estate 2003
Hi first post so be gentle I have a 2004 C180K est it has started to overheat on me and is starting to get worse so far I have checked Radiator and although some parts are hot other parts are still quite cool , I have flushed the heater and radiator which seems fine and am suspecting the waterpump
Has anybody changed the waterpump on one of these ? it looks long and drawn out but not impossible if anybody has and can give me some tips it would be great

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Is the thermostat and fan working?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
It is a fairly straightforward job. Don't forget to disconnect the battery first. The pulleys have plastic centres which will need to be removed, as both the belt and a couple of pulleys need to come off. The water pump is held by bolts of differing lengths, so check as you remove them. A new gasket will be needed when refitting.
All that's from memory.

Are you sure your overheating is caused by the pump? Sounds unlikely ... more likely to be another reason for this.

Last edited:
OP
M

madmart132

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180k estate 2003
Yes thermostat was rubbish so removed it and fan works

OP
M

madmart132

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180k estate 2003
It does not over heat quickly it takes its time reason we suspect waterpump is some of the hoses only get warm indicating to us that there is not much water circulating round the engine and when it gets to really hot temperatures the heat is convined to around the thermostat housing
I have a plan to fit an inline water pump into the cooling system to run water through the system to check if it still over heats any ideas either way ?

Last edited:

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
It does not over heat quickly it takes its time reason we suspect waterpump is some of the hoses only get warm indicating to us that there is not much water circulating round the engine and when it gets to really hot temperatures the heat is convined to around the thermostat housing
I have a plan to fit an inline water pump into the cooling system to run water through the system to check if it still over heats any ideas either way ?
I've seen water pumps where the plastic impeller had disintegrated and wasn't pumping enough water to cool the engine. THere have been a couple on here and I've also seen it on a Ford Diesel. I wouldn't be surprised if that was your problem at your car's age.

Ernie

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I've seen water pumps where the plastic impeller had disintegrated and wasn't pumping enough water to cool the engine. THere have been a couple on here and I've also seen it on a Ford Diesel. I wouldn't be surprised if that was your problem at your car's age.

Ernie
Very common problem on VAG cars.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
What would be the advantage of fiddling around fitting an additional pump into one of the hoses?

For the price of a new water pump (technically an impeller) - and with the symptoms you've got it seems the most likely culprit - I'd just buy one and fit it.

OP
M

madmart132

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180k estate 2003
Well a bank holiday weekend and eurocarparts and gsf both closed !!
Anyway I went to the tip on Sunday and overheated a little on the way back, monday morning I fitted an inline pump just to see what would happen and did the same trip again and it did not over heat
Anyway anyone got any instructions or experince in changing the waterpump on this model ?

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Well a bank holiday weekend and eurocarparts and gsf both closed !!
Anyway I went to the tip on Sunday and overheated a little on the way back, monday morning I fitted an inline pump just to see what would happen and did the same trip again and it did not over heat
Anyway anyone got any instructions or experince in changing the waterpump on this model ?
Post 3?

Ernie

OP
M

madmart132

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180k estate 2003
Well apologies if I appeared to be going on a bit in the earlier posts the friendly local mechanic had shown me what he thought was the water pump which turned out to be the supercharger pulley LOL
anyway replaced the water pump and removed a large rubber seal from the block this had been getting in the way of the waterflow or possibly stopping the water pump moving but how the hell do you bleed the coolant system properly ? however much i do it there still appears to be air in the system

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
first thing I would look at is the stat. My 2004 w220 had its thermostat replaced after 10 years, they are not the best quality. my W124 is still on the original. dont messa about with all these inline pumps. fix it once and fix it properrly!

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
don't buy one from GSF etc unless it's an OEM brand

OP
M

madmart132

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180k estate 2003
Hi sorry to take a while to get back to you, first thing i did was check and remove the thermostat, it was knackered I have been driving without one for a few weeks now and car is no longer getting hot until hitting heavy traffic then going cold again when on the open road . But the heater is not getting hot which i think is a valve or flap on the matrix and I suspect it is losing water somewhere in the system as temp goes over 90c possibly as steam from somewhere . Got mot on friday so will do oil and filter before then and refit thermostat after it passes and then re-check water loss
Got to say though its smooth and economical (its got LPG as well ) and right now due to roadworks and 50 mph limit on M6 doing approx 7.5 to 8.25 miles per litre @50p per litre so about as cheap as an electric car

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The heater won't work properly without a thermostat.
Also, you have LPG so that will draw heat away from the heater matrix as the water is used to warm the vapouriser.

OP
M

madmart132

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180k estate 2003
Its getting to over 90c in traffic and when bleeding the system I have always set the heating to hot ?
As i said earlier i will take it for MOT on friday and then see how to fix it , the hose that goes into the Heater gets red hot all the way to the bulkhead and as I have seen on other threads there is a flap repair kit for heater matrix but hopefully i will replace thermostat and all will be good

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom