Ferry travel?

norwoodboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 2010
Guys,

Wonder if you can help? i am taking my E350 (2010) on a ferry shortly and if i recall you should isolate something or push a button in the center overhead console to disarm alarm?

I havent got a manual although i realise it will be on line somewhere!! but i thought this forum would be better.

Cheers

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Picture of a car with a hook under the rear

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
On my ML there's a button marked with a tow hook that you press shortly after switching the ignition off .... same as the interior sensors. I wouldn't worry about it too much though as on the ferry to & from the Isle of Wight the other day, alarms on loads of cars triggered as soon as we left the quay side. ;)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
As per above, press both buttons (interior sensor and tow hook one) then lock the car as normal
Depending upon how long the journey is (IOW excluded) the alarm can flatten the battery so worth doing

OP
N

norwoodboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 2010
As ever really helpful and quick! found the relevant buttons had the car for 5 years and its the first time i have looked up there much to my embarrassment.

cheers

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
I was on the IOW ferry and alarms were going off left right and centre!!

I knew the button was up there somewhere but without my glasses to hand couldn't tell which one lol

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I've never bothered in my last 7 years of Dover to Calais trips . I thought the alarm was triggered by moving objects inside the car ? Rather than the car moving

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
..... I thought the alarm was triggered by moving objects inside the car ? ....

How rough was the crossing? :D

There are two buttons (well there are on mine)
1 to switch off the interior sensors so you can leave the dog/etc inside the car with the alarm set & the other to disable the tow-away part of the alarm so you can set it on a ferry etc

(My R Class had just the one button but you could enable it to do either via the dash menu)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I've never bothered in my last 7 years of Dover to Calais trips . I thought the alarm was triggered by moving objects inside the car ? Rather than the car moving
Twisting on 20 you are :rolleyes:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
How rough was the crossing? :D

There are two buttons (well there are on mine)
1 to switch off the interior sensors so you can leave the dog/etc inside the car with the alarm set & the other to disable the tow-away part of the alarm so you can set it on a ferry etc

(My R Class had just the one button but you could enable it to do either via the dash menu)
A couple have been rough , I'll have another read of the manual :D .

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Longer runs - I'm thinking of cross-Med ships which we're very familiar with - really do flatten batteries.
Once under way, you are not allowed access to the cargo decks, and you do not hear the alarms constantly blaring - but you find out the hard way when you come to disembark and try to start your car.

Most cars seem to start, but you can hear the slow starter motors, and if you've got a Merc you're sure to get a few pretty lights showing up on your display! An excellent piece of kit in these circumstances is one of these:

Booster-Starter.jpg

No batteries inside, but super conductors instead, with fancy solid state electrickery. Really does start a car with a technically flat battery.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
The 5 or 6 hour med ferries almost always have a car that doesn't start upon desembarcation. Not sure if it's the constant starting and stopping the engine to move about before embarcation or the alarms that do it, or a combination of the two but the ferry cos have a jump starter to get you off the ferry atleast...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
When we go in the 210 we have dogs so have to disable both the interior alarm and the anti-jacking alarm. On the 210 it's s single rocker switch so you need to first press to disable the interior alarm (and I always hold for 1 second) then immediately press to the other position and hold for one second before releasing. You have to do this immediately after turning off ignition before opening doors. After you lock the car if you unlock you have to go back to the start including turning ignition on then off.

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Yep, towing button is really helpful for this.

On the Qashqai, there is a three step process you have to Google whilst queuing for the ferry ( as per the instructions of the boarding teams in Pompey last summer....:))

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom