2012 E250cdi Estate - Rear suspension fault

Alcamo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
380SL 1985, E250cdi Estate, Audi A2
Hi, the air suspension warning light appeared during a recent trip. The car ride and handling changed significantly but I was able to get to my destination. On arrival, the drivers side rear suspension was very high and the passenger side appeared normal or slightly low. I had recently jacked the car up and thought this may have caused the problem so I jacked up each side in turn (I had planned to move the tyres around front to back) but nothing changed. I then opened the the rear passenger door and heard a 'hiss' and the suspension rose to maximum matching the other side. Not sure if the door was just a coincidence but the ignition wasn't on.

The warning light was no longer showing so I drove home and all was well for a few miles until the light came on and the ride became harsh again. Both rear suspension units are high now.

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't realise that the car has air suspension and there are no controls within the car that would indicate adaptive suspension.

Any ideas on what the fault might be? Could the ride height control link be at fault as I understand that these are fragile? When I raised the car to change the wheel I noticed that there was a hole in the concertina dust jacket around one strut.

Any help / suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Could be air leak in the bags or pipe work or a compressor fault - that said the hiss suggests air is being pumped
A Mercedes Benz specific (Star) diagnostic in the hands of someone who knows what they’re doing should save you a world of guess work and trouble

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
Hi,
It is unusual for the suspension to fail and for it to be too high. It is normally a leak and the air suspension to be too low.
There are levers on each side which monitor the height. One or both of those may have broken or failed.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Does sound like a ride height sensor problem and the system over inflating early investigation essential really before you burn out the pump, the hiss is the blowoff valve releasing pressure so quite normal

OP
A

Alcamo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
380SL 1985, E250cdi Estate, Audi A2
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Obviously I need to get a Star scan but if the height sensor plastic levers are broken (several comments about the fragility of these) I assume I could see the damage without getting a scan and possibly affect a repair. Where is / are the rear units on a W212 estate? Any images or diagrams would be appreciated.

Lastly, I live in Abingdon near Oxford. Can anyone recommend a good independent in my area that would know their way around a W212 and, if possible a R107?

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
Hi,

They look like this:-
for-MERCEDES-W218-W212-CLS550-CLS63-E550-E350-SUSPENSION-HEADLIGHT-LEVEL-SENSOR-A0045429918-0045429918.jpg_640x640.jpg

They are attached to the anti-roll bar and bolted to the chassis.
From memory they are quite near the back axle but it is a while since I was under there.

If you raise the back of the car (and not just on a jack) and get under, you will find them.

I understand that the plastic bar breaks because the little ball-joints seize.

It is also worth checking the electrical wiring to the compressor.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Obviously I need to get a Star scan but if the height sensor plastic levers are broken (several comments about the fragility of these) I assume I could see the damage without getting a scan and possibly affect a repair. Where is / are the rear units on a W212 estate? Any images or diagrams would be appreciated.

Lastly, I live in Abingdon near Oxford. Can anyone recommend a good independent in my area that would know their way around a W212 and, if possible a R107?
The aptly named Star in Caversham is 40 minutes from you ....
https://www.starmotorservices.co.uk/

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom