Rear view camera retrofit

Moocow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI - Sport 125 - 2011
Have been having a search around and quite fancy a rear view camera. Having already caught the back bumper pulling out of our driveway (going to cost me a bit to get it fixed properly) because I didn't realise that I had a separate display for the rear sensors behind me - I as was watching the ones on the dash thinking I had loads of room to go even though it was beeping at me doh! I don't want to repeat that.
Seen a few posts on doing the camera retrofit, I have NTG4.5 Comand so looks to be covered, just trying to find a recommended camera as all the ones linked to seem to be dead links on eBay.
Can I use any camera? Any recommendations from those that have done it?
I am happy to fit it by the boot handle as there appears to be a cutout there that I can use and the electronics side of things seems well within my skills (have done a few ICE installs, dash cams, trackers and rewiring work on both bikes and cars over the years)

OP
M

Moocow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have a look at Comandonline, forum sponsors. https://www.commandonline.co.uk/W204-C-Class-saloon-sedan-Reversing-Camera-kit.html

You might not want to buy the full kit but I’m sure they could supply a decent camera for you. It seems you also need someone with the right Mercedes technology to code the Comand unit for you.

Do you? Bugger, I thought it was just an option to enable it in the engineering menu on Comand - will give it a try on my car in theory it should just display nothing but switch to the camera input when you engage reverse gear.

I think I may be on 4.7 now that I have thought about it - I have the internet tethering option on my car. It's a 2011 but facelift as its a coupe.

I have the lead on the way - Fakra to Video Aux (phono socket) - just trying to find a camera others have had success with.

OP
M

Moocow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to confirm - it is in the engineering menu. There is an option to select the type of camera and changing it from "not installed" I see it activate when engaging reverse, obviously no camera yet though :D

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Just to confirm - it is in the engineering menu. There is an option to select the type of camera and changing it from "not installed" I see it activate when engaging reverse, obviously no camera yet though :D
That’s good news then. Sorry I can’t help with the camera but others will no doubt know.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

watching with interest, have seen one thats built into number plate £30.00 but requires an interface that i have seem but no price indicated ,says plug and play which is exactly what i want, no faffing about wth benz and coding. sure it will be a ballache getting be
https://audiotechdirect.com/direct-fit-wpc01-wireless-no-plate-rear-view-reverse-camera/

[URL]http://media-in-motion.co.uk/video-in-motion-video-activation-for-mercedes-comand-aps-ntg4-212-comand-online-ntg4-5/[/URL]

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
just noticed link cut off a bit... sure it will be a ballache getting behind entertainment system to plug in

OP
M

Moocow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
just noticed link cut off a bit... sure it will be a ballache getting behind entertainment system to plug in

I am sure it will. I have done quite a few stereo installs but not on something so integrated before. Will have a read as I think there is a quite a bit of trim to remove and screws hidden in air vents and stuff from memory.

Actually not too bad at all:

Last edited:
OP
M

Moocow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Spent this afternoon doing the install and discovered that the camera I bought was useless.
Having looked for a camera that was adjustable, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372734295806 found that it can only look at the floor directly behind the car. I have about a metre of vision behind me and it's nothing like 90 degree of adjustment, more like half that because the lead restricts it from going all the way up which I was after. It's also not got a very wide view at all so it is like a metre square total you can see. Not a great purchase :(

At least all the wiring is in bar a add-a-fuse and it will just be a case of undoing the boot lid liner now.
For anyone else looking to do it, the door entry trims are an absolute PIG to remove, managed to break one of the clips in the process, they are in ridiculously tight

Off to look for another camera!

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
If you have an estate you can partially open the tailgate from the inside button and see horizontal, or completely open the tailgate and watch the aeroplanes ;)
I also have front and rear parking sensors but find them a little hit and miss. Love the camera though.
Mine looks the same as this..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Vie...117545?hash=item56482d53a9:g:7gEAAOxy1klRbVoz

Another option is for £12.99 from a certain auction site you can have a camera AND screen !

OP
M

Moocow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Picked up this one from Amazon - a bit more expensive but a LOT better than the first try:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071R3HJ6Q/

Picture is perfect and the little remote button allows you to shift the image nicely too. Left that inside the boot behind the fuse cover if I ever need to change anything, Managed to get it mounted nearer the centre by removing one of the push clips (plenty of screws and other clips holding in the trim - and the lead went straight through its body work hole so no drilling the car!) .
Very happy with that, total cost was £30 for the camera, a quid for the add-a-fuse and a couple of crimps.

Tidied all the wiring up nicely and re-wrapped it with fabric tape, all connectors soldered and then heat shrunk too so shouldn't get any shorts in future.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom