Rear Nearside Suspension Drop

Ashley Lawrence

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI Classic Estate, 2004
Hi All,

Recently had my W211 Estate MOT'ed and failed on nearside ball joint & steering gaiter. Had these replaced & had the car front wheel tracked.

Had the car back and the tracking was out (drove 550 mile round trip to midlands & back); had it front wheel tracked again for free and it was still out - so they 4 wheel tracked it - which has sorted it.

I've also had the car jacked up on the front nearside (via a trolley jack) whilst having the EGR deleted (guy was trying to find the inlet pipe and took the bottom covers off)

Now all this work has been done over 3 week period.

Yesterday came back to the car (parked on the level) and the nearside rear suspension had dropped; started the car, went back to normal. Drove to my destination, again parked the car on the level and suspension dropped on the same side.

Drove back to friends and parked the car half on, half off the kerb with that wheel on the kerb. Came out 30 minutes later and the suspension hadn't dropped and nor did it drop when I filled up with fuel 10 minutes from her house.

Drove home, no issues, never any warning lights. Came out to the car this morning (car is reversed into a parking space, slight up-hill gradient with rear end higher than front) and the nearside rear suspension is down.

Could any of the work done in the last 3 weeks be related to this; or does the w211 have a Star based suspension re calibration (as per the S class) or is it a sensor issue or something else?

Many thanks in advance.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Unlikely to be related. Symptoms like this are usually a sign the airbag is failing.
Depending where the hole is the leak can self seal under some circumstances and not go down.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
So the car is now in an illegal condition with no EGR..?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Suspension dropping overnight on a 03-09 plate 211 estate means airbag leak 99% of the time - in fact it also applies to the early 212s as well

OP
A

Ashley Lawrence

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi all,

Had an official diagnosis by a Mercedes Indy today. They say that the compressor just about passed - so thats on the way out and needs replacing along with both airbags (only one really but I've read that I need to replace both at the same time).

Now the Indy only fits mercedes parts (understandable) and has stated that each corner will be £550+vat and the compressor would be a mercedes reconditioned one with no price attached as yet.

When I mentioned the Arnott ones they said they would fit them, if I supplied them, but they wouldn't gaurantee them and they've had issues with them knocking, not sitting right, not working right, etc.

Is this true? or just bullshit to get me to fit Mercedes parts?

Also the airbags from Mercedes - are they the exact versions (version numbers i.e. have they been updated and improved for the W211 model since 2004 or are they exactly the same?

The Indy stated that the Arnott air bags ride higher?

Kersidan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 2011 e350 cdi sport estate 265, S211 e280CDI Sport (gone), S210 e320 CDI Avantgarde (gone)
On my 2011 S212 E class I had both rear air bags replaced earlier this year by my local indie (Ex Mercedes mechanic) I sourced and supplied him with two airbags fro Aerosus (Google them). They are supplied from Germany within 48 hours and have a 2 year warranty IIRC. My indie was very impressed with the quality and said he would have no hesitation in recommending the Aerosus unit to others. Price was about £380 for the pair delivered. No problems since!

Mark

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As above, Aerosus have a good reputation, Jay Manek at Mercland told me a while back they’d been using them for years with good results.
I do understand your Indy’s position however , they can only guarantee that which they control, however Aerosus will warranty the part as mentioned for 2 years above (not sure how labour is treated in the event or replacing defective units)

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
I too can vouch for the Aerosus units -- I fitted two suspension units to my S212 almost 3 years ago and no issues since.

However, yours is an S211 which has slightly different air suspension units.

I believe that it is the level sensors that control the height not the air suspensions units themselves.

OP
A

Ashley Lawrence

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I too can vouch for the Aerosus units -- I fitted two suspension units to my S212 almost 3 years ago and no issues since.

However, yours is an S211 which has slightly different air suspension units.

I believe that it is the level sensors that control the height not the air suspensions units themselves.

You are right - there is one level sensor on the rear axle on the drivers side - I believe.

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
When I looked at this a couple of years ago, you could get a pair of Arnott for the price of one OEM (about £250 IIRC) Also, the original unit has an air reservoir which is supposed to require the subframe dropping to replace. ....And, do Mercedes really recondition the compressor?

OP
A

Ashley Lawrence

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
According to my Mercedes Indy they buy reconditioned compressors from Mercedes.

However having spoken directly to Arnott today (a) their airbags have no reservoir which means that the 7 hrs labour required to drop the subframe down is not required and thus they are much faster to fit and (b) the Arnott compressor is the exact same compressor that Mercedes fit - just right up to date (as this compressor will deal with all air matic systems that Mercedes have).

At the same time Aerosus system seems to be getting similar reviews.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
When I mentioned the Arnott ones they said they would fit them, if I supplied them, but they wouldn't gaurantee them and they've had issues with them knocking, not sitting right, not working right, etc.

How can a garage guarantee a part they didn’t supply, if it were to be faulty, the guarantee would be with the supplier providing it was fitted correctly. We would say the same.
For example, we had a customer supply a rear ABC strut for his cl, when it was fitted, it was faulty. It was from Albania. The old one was refitted at his cost. :(.

OP
A

Ashley Lawrence

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do the aerosus units have a reservoir as per the original airbags i.e. does my mechanic need to drop the subframe to install them?

OP
A

Ashley Lawrence

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Also do 2004 E class estates have the same subframe corrosion issues as newer models seem to suffering from?

Jkh112

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Bluetec estate
Suspension dropping overnight on a 03-09 plate 211 estate means airbag leak 99% of the time - in fact it also applies to the early 212s as well
Why would this not also be the diagnosis for rear suspension drop on a late 212? Is the late 212 that different?
I am not trying to nit pick, just asking out of interest as I have a facelift 212 estate. (I had my rear air suspension units replaced by Mercedes under warranty a couple of years ago.)

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
Why would this not also be the diagnosis for rear suspension drop on a late 212? Is the late 212 that different?
I am not trying to nit pick, just asking out of interest as I have a facelift 212 estate. (I had my rear air suspension units replaced by Mercedes under warranty a couple of years ago.)
It would apply to late S212s (and S213s) as well.
I presume that was said as they are newer and less likely to have issues with the suspension units.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score

Unfortunately MB seem to have had quality problems on some of the airbag batches with the 212, mine is on 71k miles and all seems well but there have been a lot of premature failures - as said rear suspension drop on all e estates post S210 is usually caused by airbag leaks. Mine is full airmatic not that it makes a lot of difference to the rear suspension

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
My latest purchase was bought with a suspension airbag issue, re drops overnight on the N/S rear, if left for more than over night the right will tart to drop to. It will raise up again after about 5 seconds, so I am assuming the bags will be needing replacements?
Are there many off causes for this dropping which seems to be a very common problem before I buy 2 new suspension units.
The car is a 2005 E Class Estate, the fronts I would assume are standard shocks so what is meant by airmatic?

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom