Going from 0 to 4 NCB years.

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
So here is the situation.

I go insured on February 1st, 2019 after a 2.5 year gap in insurance. The majority of insurers had a maximum of 2 years gap, with the exception of Admiral. Admiral would allow my gap of 2.5 years, thus enabling me to get 3 years NCB discount.

This coming February I will need to renew. Will Admiral give me a certificate showing 4 years NCB, meaning I will back in action on the open market and will be able to shop around?

I consider myself to have effectively zero NCB February just gone because there was really only one insurer.

I will expect a significant drop when I go to the market this time around...err.. actually, maybe not because I will be adding my "new" R230 DL 500 :D but it should be useful.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
If Admiral allowed you to get 3 yrs NCD in Feb 2019, it follows you'll be entitled to 4 years NCD in Feb 2020.
You don't have to stay with Admiral at renewal time but you'll need the 4yrs NCD noted on your renewal notice to get it transferred to another company.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If Admiral allowed you to get 3 yrs NCD in Feb 2019, it follows you'll be entitled to 4 years NCD in Feb 2020.
You don't have to stay with Admiral at renewal time but you'll need the 4yrs NCD noted on your renewal notice to get it transferred to another company.

That is exactly what I thought alright - thanks.

Insurance companies being insurance companies... I wouldn't be surprised if they new Admiral accepted longer gaps and looked into the cert a little more than they would from elsewhere. That was my only concern.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Once Admiral send your renewal notice, your NCD will be stated. This is what you keep to send/show to your new insurance company.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Admiral may realise that you're able to bargain a bit at renewal time and surprise you with a decent quote... stranger things have happened!

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Admiral may realise that you're able to bargain a bit at renewal time and surprise you with a decent quote... stranger things have happened!

Yea to be fair. I'm pretty impressed with Admiral so far. Their site is easy to use, support is great. And they didn't come in too harsh with adding the new SL to the fold for the remaining 110 days.

With all that said though, money does the talking..

Moocow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI - Sport 125 - 2011
Yea to be fair. I'm pretty impressed with Admiral so far. Their site is easy to use, support is great. And they didn't come in too harsh with adding the new SL to the fold for the remaining 110 days.

Don't be too disheartened with the renewal when it comes - there's quite a sizeable new business discount for first year from Admiral - I work for them and still don't use them for insurance this time round, even with my staff discount it was quite a bit over elsewhere.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's

Claiming with them is another story though.....

Admiral also load up your premium for a non fault accident on your record.....

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Claiming with them is another story though.....

Admiral also load up your premium for a non fault accident on your record.....

That's very naughty of them..

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Almost all of them do.

I'm with LV. They mirrored my NCD from one of my cars onto our r230 SL, even though the SL was in MrsLKs name.
Interestingly the car they mirrored from had previously been mirrored from another car!

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We have our two cars with LV - both at max NCD so I've never bothered with a joint policy because they're months apart and it would take 18 months or so to settle down.

Over the last four years I had 2 x renewal invitations where I thought the increase was unfair so I phoned and said I would rather not have to go shopping etc. so perhaps they could help...

Five minutes later and the renewal was reduced by about 5% which was virtually standing still.

Moocow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI - Sport 125 - 2011

They all do, it's about perceived risk. If you have been involved in an accident regardless of blame, then you are statistically more likely to be involved in another accident so they cover that risk by increase in premium. That is all the insurance is based on - covering the cost that you are likely to cost the insurance company.
And depending on the insurance company that could be more or less than your current provider - it's based on Admirals historical view of how badly those drivers then claim, Hastings for example could have a better track record and load your premium differently etc.

It's no different than why your price goes up or down if you change your job title or the car model - there a certain professions that have historically claimed more often or claimed bigger damages and that is reflected in the price an insurer gives you.

You have a base price and then modifiers are applied to it depending on the miles you do, the job title, if you're married etc etc some of those a positive and reduce the premium paid (because that type of driver is less likely to claim/be involved in an accident) some of those are negative and increase the premium - one of which is just being involved in an accident because historically those people are more likely to be involved in another accident.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It gets me that with all the ducking and diving on premiums and discounts, most insurers claim they're not making any money!
I do wonder (if that's true...) why they're in the insurance business and no doubt the top management who dictate the direction of the firm pay themselves huge salaries and boatloads of bonuses.

If what they claim about profitability is true then it's a classic of payment for failure!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Might be stating the obvious, but why don't you ask Admiral before your renewal date falls due?
They know how they're going to treat you better than the guys on this forum.

An alert client might cause them to think carefully before just tossing you the highest renewal quote they think they can get way with.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
They’re all thieves ! Hastings are trying very hard to sting me on my proposed replacement for my 202. They want almost double the premium for W204 C250 CDI Sport against my current W202 C280 v6. I expected an increase but not that much !!! I think they’re trying it on as l’ve only just renewed with them this month and I’m stuck for almost 12 months. Come renewal I’ll definately be going elsewhere. Their customer service is pretty dire too.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Might be stating the obvious, but why don't you ask Admiral before your renewal date falls due?
They know how they're going to treat you better than the guys on this forum.

An alert client might cause them to think carefully before just tossing you the highest renewal quote they think they can get way with.

In my experience most insurers won't tell you - they say something like "it's in the pipeline" - even though it arrives in the post the following morning. It's all part of the plan to limit the time you have to shop for better results.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
About time the whole insurance industry was looked into properly. Unfortunately we all have to deal with them and play fun and games come renewal time.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
About time the whole insurance industry was looked into properly. Unfortunately we all have to deal with them and play fun and games come renewal time.

It's happening in Ireland - you think it's bad in the UK, I believe it's gone off the charts back home! I remember when I was 24 having never had a policy in my own name before, I paid ~€750 for fully comp on a 6 year old Mk V Golf GTI. I am sure a person in similar situation now would be paying over double.. no exaggeration. (* disclaimer: had full licence 10 years with a bunch of named driver experience)

https://www.independent.ie/business...al-probe-into-insurance-ireland-38110069.html Will be interesting to see the outcome of the investigation. The EU don't hold any punches on this kind of thing.. Which is probably one of the main reasons the Tories want us out..

Adding second car to my policy in one months time was about £100 less than adding it to start tomorrow. It would be £20 to add for two days. I was being lazy and just went for full add-on.

When it comes to renewal, I will start shopping around for quotes 30 days before expiry, because that is the furthest into the future you can get quotes. And in my experience, there is a huge difference between +1 and +30 days.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
They all do, it's about perceived risk. If you have been involved in an accident regardless of blame, then you are statistically more likely to be involved in another accident so they cover that risk by increase in premium. That is all the insurance is based on - covering the cost that you are likely to cost the insurance company.
And depending on the insurance company that could be more or less than your current provider - it's based on Admirals historical view of how badly those drivers then claim, Hastings for example could have a better track record and load your premium differently etc.

It's no different than why your price goes up or down if you change your job title or the car model - there a certain professions that have historically claimed more often or claimed bigger damages and that is reflected in the price an insurer gives you.

You have a base price and then modifiers are applied to it depending on the miles you do, the job title, if you're married etc etc some of those a positive and reduce the premium paid (because that type of driver is less likely to claim/be involved in an accident) some of those are negative and increase the premium - one of which is just being involved in an accident because historically those people are more likely to be involved in another accident.

I have read this many times before and do not accept the reasoning behind it.
Example. My son in law was stationary at a red traffic light in his car. He was hit from behind by a lorry driver not paying attention who later admitted liability. How does this make my son in law more likely to be involved in another traffic accident? And why should his premium be loaded because of a non fault accident?

I call bull s**t and detest insurance companies slimy tricks to bend over the customer to make even more profit.
Something else while I'm at it as its affected me recently.

I have been looking for an E63 since July, and at that time made a few enquiries about the cost to insure one. I got a good price from LV and saved it on my PC.
Fast forward to last week, I find my car and want to insure it.
Again, I search for prices and the price LV quoted just 2 months previously has gone up by £130.

Why? I'm 2 months older but nothing else has changed. I wanted to insure the car in both quotes immediately.
Has there been a spate of E63 owners crashing or having their cars stolen? Damned if I know, but insurance is a horrible neccessity and I view the industry with distaste.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom