ABC help please

wizzman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2002
Hi all,

The SL has finally given me the red ABC warning. On the icarsoft I have C1129 fault in component B22/6 right rear plunger travel sensor. Now I have panicked and bought a ( hopefully) good s/h strut, but having scoured the forums it seems that this code can be caused by a number of other problems. Is this usually the case or is it normally the strut ? I have no leaks and the car has just locked on its highest setting. Is it feasible or advisable to just remove the sensor and try the one from the strut I have just purchased before getting down to changing the full strut ?
I have on my to do list a rear valve block rebuild and replace the rear sphere. Have already done the front and recent flush. I will also check and clean the contacts on the ABC module near the steering column.

Any suggestions much appreciated

Ian

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
fink you got yourself in a pickle pal , ask first , act second lol , im sure one of our ABC aces will be able to help you get straightened out here , I have family in Grimsby but don't get out that way much , I guess your one of only a few SL owners out there ??

OP
wizzman

wizzman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2002
Ha ! Think you are right. Sitting here looking at the screen praying for advice.

On another note, If Craig reads this I am after a valve block o ring kit please

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it will be along in no time pal , once they have all been fed , the cage door will be left open and they can be let to lavish all the ABC advice you could possibly want ;)

OP
wizzman

wizzman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2002
Hoping so. There’s a few SL cars around here but haven’t really found anyone who performs their own maintenance. Gradually working my way through this car but sometimes it feels like one step forward two steps back !!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The plunger sensor is replaceable on its own but requires dismantling of the strut. Much easier to swap out the entire strut.
You could try disconnecting the cable at the top of the strut to see if the code changed (if it still says short then it's not the strut).
It could also be a bad ABC unit or bad connection to the ABC ECU.

OP
wizzman

wizzman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2002
Hi, thanks for that. Had the scanner on it again for a more detailed look and all the voltages are similar for each strut but the travel reading is 255mm for the trouble strut. Just checked the history because I remember the car had that same corner strut replaced by our local Main dealer so just over four years is pretty **** poor. When did the lifetime warranty start on struts ? They only changed it because the car gives a white ABC warning when it’s stationary sometimes but never when you are moving. The fault remained and I still haven’t found it yet so I was hoping the rear valve block rebuild and rear sphere replacement might help. However.....back to the serious fault

Oh...did I mention it’s pouring with rain now.......

OP
wizzman

wizzman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2002
Right, I pulled the plug on the strut, cleared the codes and I don’t get a red warning on startup or running the engine for 10 mins. Reconnect and red warning is back so it looks like strut. Hope so because it’s off now on the bench. That strut has been on for just over four years and under 15 thousand miles. If I had paid for that ( previous owner paid ) I would feel pretty miffed !

When back on it’s feet will it need star to clear anything or will a decent Scanner clear the codes and that will be enough?

Cheers

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
When back on it’s feet will it need star to clear anything or will a decent Scanner clear the codes and that will be enough?
You'll probably need a Star or something that can read ABC codes (such as an iCarsoft i980 or MB-II or MB V2.0.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i have alistairs strut in bits here i believe the sensor number to be 001-542-52-18-3388 it also has bar code 3010828006 but use yr vin number. sorry just re read yr post yr looking rear strut sensor so may be same ,may be different VIN is king.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
you may get away with out clearing codes pal , ive had them self clear for ABS sensor swaps among other things but guess you will find out when its rebuilt

OP
wizzman

wizzman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2002
i have alistairs strut in bits here i believe the sensor number to be 001-542-52-18-3388 it also has bar code 3010828006 but use yr vin number. sorry just re read yr post yr looking rear strut sensor so may be same ,may be different VIN is king.

Hi there, what was the fault with Alistair’s strut ? I wondered if you can tell if the sensor is bad by a simple multimeter test across the terminals? If you have time over the weekend could you try this and let me know the results ? cheers. There’s no rush as I am going to do a few other jobs while it’s in the air, new height sensor linkages, valve block rebuild new fuel filter and new accumulator etc etc.

I’m no auto electrician but testing ohms on these strut sensors shouldn’t do any harm? Anyone??

Thanks for the replies everyone by the way

Ian

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi there, what was the fault with Alistair’s strut ? I wondered if you can tell if the sensor is bad by a simple multimeter test across the terminals? If you have time over the weekend could you try this and let me know the results ? cheers. There’s no rush as I am going to do a few other jobs while it’s in the air, new height sensor linkages, valve block rebuild new fuel filter and new accumulator etc etc.

I’m no auto electrician but testing ohms on these strut sensors shouldn’t do any harm? Anyone??

Thanks for the replies everyone by the way

Ian
My strut had a collapsed lower spring platform. The rest of the strut was fine.
Feel free to put a meter on it Andy.

OP
wizzman

wizzman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2002
Thanks for that

Do you have to take the strut apart to remove the sensor ?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hi. Someone call?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
My strut had a collapsed lower spring platform. The rest of the strut was fine.
Feel free to put a meter on it Andy.

look at that tomorrow..

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom