C-class wing mirrors not symmetrical when folded

Digsy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLB 200D Executive
While admiring my brand new C220D on my driveway I noticed that the wing mirrors are not symmetrical when folded in. They are perfectly symmetrical when extended, and both mirrors look like they are folded as close to the bodywork as is possible (i.e. only about 3mm clearance between the mirror and the door) but the passenger side mirror is much more parallel with the side of the car.
Wing mirrors 29-Sep-2019.jpg
I know in the past that Mercedes have done wacky things with asymmetric wing mirrors, but I thought that was ancient history...

belongabob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 A Class A200 AMG Line Executive
That is correct. Mine are the same. I believe the driver’s door mirror contains the GPS antenna.

Having seen this on mine, I checked out every C Class I could find in the local car parks! They all seemed to be the same.

Does look a bit strange, but I think it’s the owner who sees it more than anyone just passing by. Still does my OCD no favours though!

OP
D

Digsy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLB 200D Executive
I had a closer look today. The driver's side mirror is actually a slightly different shape to the passenger side. It is fatter, front to back, and so cannot fold as close to the body as the other side.

By coincidence my Merc dealer rang me today as a courtesy call and I mentioned it to him, and he had no idea about it. I guess itsi just one of those things you notice or you don't, but now I can't un-see it! :)

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
With a car that narrow I can't see why you call it a 'passenger' mirror!
There ain't no room for a passenger.
First of all I thought the OP was good with Photoshop, but then on further examination, I reckon it's a 'fisheye' job...am I right?

OP
D

Digsy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLB 200D Executive
First of all I thought the OP was good with Photoshop, but then on further examination, I reckon it's a 'fisheye' job...am I right?

Just photoshop :) Two pics stitched together.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom