Can anyone please tell me (R170 Pre Facelift/Facelift query).

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now a 2005 55 plate C Class 220 CDI Estate Auto in Iridium Silver with Black Nappa Leather.
Does any one know whether the complete Steering Wheel from a Pre Facelift SLK 230 will go straight onto a Facelift SLK 230 without modifications to the wiring/connections to the horn connections ?

Thank you in anticipation.

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now a 2005 55 plate C Class 220 CDI Estate Auto in Iridium Silver with Black Nappa Leather.
Hi to you all out there. Further to my post above of the 3rd October 2019.
I have resolved the question that I put out to the forum in the section headed ''Suspension, Steering & Brakes' but got no response to.

The answer to my question was YES and the Pre Facelift steering wheel is a perfect swap for the Facelift steering wheel with the horn connections being able to be connected and fully functional.

The Pre Facelift wheel has gone out to Royal Steering Wheels in Stoke Mandeville for a slight remodelling exercise.
The Facelift Steering Wheel gave me the impression that I was driving a bus instead of a small roadster/sports car.

I believe that it is simply an optical illusion created by the lack of rake adjustment and a slightly overbearing Airbag.
The Airbag on the Pre Facelift Steering Wheel being of slightly overall smaller proportions does not create that same illusion in my humble opinion.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
If possible and not too late, please put up pictures of the 2 .

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Hi mattkh. I have only just posted into the 'Suspension, Steering & Brakes' section of the forum on the original topic/post that I created when the first notion of a change of wheel was possible,it was entitled :--
R170 SLK 230 Steering wheel options !!!
but oddly enough I was never alerted to the effect that I had posted it incorrectly

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Hi Matt.

The Pre Facelift steering wheel arrived back this morning from Royal Steering Wheels and I am quite pleased with what has been done with it.
The 'AMG' Thumb grips along with the flattening of the bottom have made a worthwhile improvement to the overall appearance to that of the original Facelift wheel.
I do not however fully understand what was so prohibitive in the flattening off of the top by only about 7mm which would have drooped the top of the wheel below just below the curve of the binnacle on the dashboard.
SLK Steering Wheel + others 005.JPG SLK 230 Standard Steering Wheel 002.JPG

Scott Harker

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SLK 200 Kompressor (R170)
Hi Matt.

The Pre Facelift steering wheel arrived back this morning from Royal Steering Wheels and I am quite pleased with what has been done with it.
The 'AMG' Thumb grips along with the flattening of the bottom have made a worthwhile improvement to the overall appearance to that of the original Facelift wheel.
I do not however fully understand what was so prohibitive in the flattening off of the top by only about 7mm which would have drooped the top of the wheel below just below the curve of the binnacle on the dashboard.
View attachment 53415 View attachment 53416

Hi Matt,

I will be getting the exact same thing done with Royal Steering wheels but with perforated leather on the sides!

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Matt,

I will be getting the exact same thing done with Royal Steering wheels but with perforated leather on the sides!

Hi again Matt.The reason that I did not go for the perforated finish was the almost certainty that the wheel would be more difficult to clean because of the perforations.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom