Mercedes dealer updated my Comand & now its crashing

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Yeh, but my joke doesn't work then.....I know all about the delights of Microsoft as an ex MD and owner of 2 IT company's.....:rolleyes:

and now drag that situation into the motor industry !! think programs /malware and virus .i fairly sure all involved drinking in same cafe/bar one industry feeding /creating the other and a new expense for the rest of us . and now involved in the auto industry ..just grand !!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Not just the auto industry!
Updated several Tomtoms - now crash regularly. Updated my hands-free phone thingy - now drops out often. Windows updates are a nightmare to some software apps. Etc.
Steer clear of updates!
Remember - if it ain't broke ....

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Not just the auto industry!
Updated several Tomtoms - now crash regularly. Updated my hands-free phone thingy - now drops out often. Windows updates are a nightmare to some software apps. Etc.
Steer clear of updates!

understand not just motor industry ,just they seem to have watched the others and decided to join the party ! keeping out of that loop is becoming a bigger consumer of my time and when unsuccessful my cash ! i liken it to a zebra limping past a pride of lions...most time the zebra gets ucked !

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
incidentally i seem to have found a program that screws up forced udates from microsoft as now when i shutdown it still says " shut down and update " but it shuts down anyway without updating... until microsoft screw with that....

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

you probably never understood the features or capability it was supposed to have

updates are a critical part of modern software, it is now compiled junk by three year old who have and will never have any actual understanding of how it works, thus they can't test before release...

updates are required to paper over the cracks... that far too often are not glitches but fundamental safety, security and functionally chasms

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
until and unless i get a problem i aint going anywhere near any update .

^This.

The car has worked fine for 8 years. What's a software update going to do now? Nothing good for the owner, that's for sure.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
if you go back to the Microsoft idea.... you may think your new laptop works properly, the reality is it's a disaster zone of insecure non functioning rubbish. Many users are very likely to be totally unaware of this. Until you can't install or operate allegedly compatible software, lose a document or the bank accounts been wiped, why would you?

On the car you haven't given us all the details but I would suggest if it was all ruining the later software they've been issuing, these sorts of thing will have been changed

1) revised safety features, air bag firing, cruise control / ABS operation / seatbelt tensioner speeds etc.
2) warranty claim induced tweaks to ensure durability of the vehicle (mostly on the engine and gearbox)
3) drivability / economy / emission adjustments, gearbox change quality / timing, suspension ride quality, power steering assistance levels at various speeds
4) enhanced diagnostic capability of various modules, added as its been further developed and or not fitted to early vehicles when rushed to market
5) comand updates, Bluetooth connection re phone security and stability, Bluetooth music streaming capability, New Navigation style / features, Navigation TMC data source updates, DAB station quantity update to stop it crashing
6) compatibility for later toys so they can be retrofitted
7) subtle improvements to things like the control loops of automatic climate control, better TPMS readings, rain sensor sensitivity
8) security, re keyless, comfort access and alarm features
9) compatibility with later dealer tools and procedures,

and a shed load more things I have no idea about

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My personal feeling on this is that if there is a software component that has a fault then the updates should be free (for life of the vehicle).
If the update is an enhancement then fair enough it can be charged for but updates and enhancements shouldn't be bundled together in that case.
Faulty software is faulty software. No different to issuing recalls for badly designed or manufactured hardware, and let's face it, once the fix has been written distribution could be free if the manufacturer chose to make it customer installable...

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
we chewing the same toffee...methinks
^This.

The car has worked fine for 8 years. What's a software update going to do now? Nothing good for the owner, that's for sure.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My personal feeling on this is that if there is a software component that has a fault then the updates should be free (for life of the vehicle).
If the update is an enhancement then fair enough it can be charged for but updates and enhancements shouldn't be bundled together in that case.
Faulty software is faulty software. No different to issuing recalls for badly designed or manufactured hardware, and let's face it, once the fix has been written distribution could be free if the manufacturer chose to make it customer installable...

i completely agree . If my car is running ok and not giving me any problems then I DONT need an update ,simples, for me anyway. frankly i dont trust them either from trying to bundle some rubbish in there thats not even remotely for my benefit or even possibly ticking away to actualy causing me a problem !! . on a related note i am certain part of microsofts updates involve mining on my pc and somewhere ? in 100 pages of conditions i may well have unwittingly agreed to it.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
you probably never understood the features or capability it was supposed to have

updates are a critical part of modern software, it is now compiled junk by three year old who have and will never have any actual understanding of how it works, thus they can't test before release...

updates are required to paper over the cracks... that far too often are not glitches but fundamental safety, security and functionally chasms

for me thats a vehcle recall. complete with documentation. not a we will plug it in while we have the car in for sommat else then palm any chasms as you put it onto the punter !! this is the old story of putting the cart before horse then blaming everyone but the instigator... legislation needs to catch up with liability here.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
for me thats a vehcle recall. complete with documentation.

No.

They make cars to make a profit, the one you tested operated like this and based on that you choose to buy one. The one you bought (if you added toys) was already improved by whatever work they did (since model released and or) in the three months you waited for it to be built.

subsequently with magazine road test feedback, may be a few of the manu's managers driving it about and a few customer offering ideas about what they think needs improving... together with the subversive engineers still trying to circumnavigate the accounts rushing it out the door, they have found a few tweaks and tricks that make it even better and that's applied to later built vehicles.

if the owner is savy enough to understand the way cars are made, he should get his arse round the workshop and ask for these improvements to be applied to his car. Otherwise it will get the vital ones on a recall. Or slight enhancements during a routine service if the owner is prepared to take it to the support people the manu put there to help, rather than saving £100 quid getting rodge the bodge to fill with the wrong quantity of 20 50 non synthetic sludge and an air freshener

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
OK next one - it dies during the work.... how's this for an analogy we can get our head round.

If I'm driving and I run over a nail and get a puncture, the tyre goes flat and I have to change it - its tough, pay up get over it.
If I take the car to a garage and they run over a nail taking it for a crafty rip down the road - they should pay for it.
If I take the car to the garage and unknowingly run over a nail and it starts deflating ending up flat whilst with the garage - is it right I expect them to pay for the nail I ran over ?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK next one - it dies during the work.... how's this for an analogy we can get our head round.

If I'm driving and I run over a nail and get a puncture, the tyre goes flat and I have to change it - its tough, pay up get over it.
If I take the car to a garage and they run over a nail taking it for a crafty rip down the road - they should pay for it.
If I take the car to the garage and unknowingly run over a nail and it starts deflating ending up flat whilst with the garage - is it right I expect them to pay for the nail I ran over ?

not bad.

morale of story it seems.dont go near the garage unless you absolutely have to . learn how to do most things yrself and live with point 1 .......about where i am .

standin my ground on issues in mine and yr 1st ,starting wid NO... IF it was good enough for me to buy thats it leave like that ,by all means offer me updates and if i accept its down to me. if its safety related any following defect after update is down to them to resolve . if its an enhancement that i want by all means sell it to me with a warranty.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The whole update issue is not transparent unfortunately and as said needs more regulation. My car runs just fine the last thing I want is to take into a dealership and find that they’ve altered the emissions to whatever lowers NOX and the car doesn’t run as it did

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646

There's a 4th scenario...
You take the car to the garage, it gets a nail in the tyre whilst in their workshop. The slow puncture is only noticed once home.

Is this potential situation not what's being discussed?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
… on my 335d I had it flashed the way BMW does it (every module in one hit takes on an approved list of compatible software, either a fresh copy of what it had, or an updated software version)

it was much faster (like massively so !)
it did 3 mpg more
its gearbox was transformed from recalcitrant, hopeless disaster, graunching its way through the gears into the perfect auto slickly getting it right
Bluetooth had latest security
Vehicle security upgrade to combat (key coding theft issue)
Lots of strange hidden settings on the Nav unit updated
the diagnostics went from obsolete to compatible with the current stuff

I've had it done on 3 BMW bikes, the new one I didn't notice anything change, one was better, one now has a weird di in the power curve

the aims were smoother engine map
Cluster trip computer bug fixes
side stand safety circuit logic improvement
self canceling indicators
TPMS improvements

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You take the car to the garage, it gets a nail in the tyre whilst in their workshop. The slow puncture is only noticed once home.

so yr scenario imagines no link between update and OP not getting 500 yards from update site ? plainly the place that performed the update would have known the problem if they had tested the car afterwards instead of dropping the bonnet and parking the car.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

1) If I'm driving and I run over a nail and get a puncture, the tyre goes flat and I have to change it - its tough, pay up get over it.
2) If I take the car to a garage and they run over a nail taking it for a crafty rip down the road - they should pay for it.
3) If I take the car to the garage and unknowingly run over a nail and it starts deflating ending up flat whilst with the garage - is it right I expect them to pay for the nail I ran over ?
4) You take the car to the garage, it gets a nail in the tyre whilst in their workshop. The slow puncture is only noticed once home.

I guess its close, "fortunately" it played up almost upon leaving the garage and the issue is slightly more complex so they haven't yet got to who's to blame

maybe the nail is the wrong analogy? as the issue with 3 or 4 in this case is irrelevant, the module should always sustain the programming update. If it doesn't then its already dying and going to fail soon, potentially its life was just encouraged to go earlier. But its impossible to define how long it was going to last or if the programming finished it off.

If rewriting software was a huge issue every PC would be dead at the monthly patch Tuesday that Microsoft peddle

Alternatively the fault on this car could well be something that has died and it was not programmed and not part of the loops that did get flashed. I gather there's four different can bus networks on some stuff now. With the engine on one and the telematics on another, that still left 2 that weren't part of the fun

If we don't have the car back or even what failed yet, to me its sounding more like a new update was not quite ready for production

Last edited:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
… on my 335d I had it flashed the way BMW does it (every module in one hit takes on an approved list of compatible software, either a fresh copy of what it had, or an updated software version)

it was much faster (like massively so !)
it did 3 mpg more
its gearbox was transformed from recalcitrant, hopeless disaster, graunching its way through the gears into the perfect auto slickly getting it right
Bluetooth had latest security
Vehicle security upgrade to combat (key coding theft issue)
Lots of strange hidden settings on the Nav unit updated
the diagnostics went from obsolete to compatible with the current stuff

I've had it done on 3 BMW bikes, the new one I didn't notice anything change, one was better, one now has a weird di in the power curve

the aims were smoother engine map
Cluster trip computer bug fixes
side stand safety circuit logic improvement
self canceling indicators
TPMS improvements

absolutely grand, if you requested it..ref gearbox ,suggests it was not right in the first place ??

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom