Bluetooth audio gateway for older Mercedes

philreed52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270clk
So this is regarding my R230 but applies to most older MBs so trying to keep this general.

It seems that a lot of people often discuss and go down the Viseeo route for bluetooth connectivity. For me this was unsuitable for the following reasons:

* Expensive
* No longer made, can I even get one?
* Music solution relies on FM transmission from device to car radio.. i'm no audiophile, but no thanks!

I believe there is an auxiliary 3.5mm connector in the glove box, so I have been considering a more generic gateway, such as the Anker Soundsync Bluetooth Adapter (model: A3352011) - Seems to be available for £19, which isn't bad.

One disadvantage may be that the telephony will also go through this device, meaning the microphone will be via the phone, which may not be deal, audio wise.. But I don't make any calls anyway... :rolleyes:

On my S212 I have enabled bluetooth audio streaming via the secret engineering, which basically results in the same functionality. I still use the controls on my smartphone, which is mounted to the dash.

A slight disadvantage is that this is battery powered.. and sealed inside. I hate that. I would rather something that I can hardwire to the fusebox so I can install and forget, and not need to keep charging. (I suppose I can still hardwire).

Has anybody tried this device or recommend something similar?

A3352011_TD01_V1.png
Hi not tried on a mb but used a GROM system on my subaru Legacy .worked well and gave me music and phone bluetooth.
The system I used had separate mike .bit fiddly to fit but is DIY job.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

ab9758

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML500 2007 308bhp
And the only connection offered in the 2006 ML500 is a very ancient iPod 30-pin connector. I gave away all my Apple pre-2012 kit that had these but borrowed an iPad to test. First dilemma is that with an iPad the glovebox lid won't close! Then no controls are recognised in the Comand using AUX in so changing tracks etc need direct access to the iPad/iPod etc. Sounds daft but the cable is so short and I can't be bothered buying extensions leads etc. I did buy a 30-pin adaptor to a later type connector but not recognised at all. Have given up and use headphones (when the kids are screaming in the backseat) to listen to iPhone XS on magnetic holder in peace. (Not really sure how legal this is. Lack of control or "care and attention"?.)

Apple's proprietary 30-pin connector was common to most Apple mobile devices (iPhone (1st generation), iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, 1st through 4th generation iPod Touch, iPad, iPad 2, and iPad 3) from its introduction with the 3rd generation iPod classic in 2003 until the Lightning connector was released in late 2012. Originally, the Apple dock connector carried USB, FireWire, some controls and line-level audio outputs.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
I have an ipod nano.. Somewhere. If I find it and it works, can provide for a nominal donation to charity.

ab9758

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML500 2007 308bhp
I have an ipod nano.. Somewhere. If I find it and it works, can provide for a nominal donation to charity.
Frustration for me is that I really want to listen to (DAB-only channels) such as BBC World Service. BBC 4+ and even Radio 5 . Comand can't access any as they are not on FM. I can't recall - but don't think - nano has DAB?
And still issue of controls/tuning etc would remain.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Frustration for me is that I really want to listen to (DAB-only channels) such as BBC World Service. BBC 4+ and even Radio 5 . Comand can't access any as they are not on FM. I can't recall - but don't think - nano has DAB?

Ok, not as simple as I thought then.. I don't think that my Nano has DAB.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

with the old Merc retrofit iPod kit that has the 30 pin connector....

yes, nothing shows on the comand screen and no navigable options there...
it ALL moves to the steering wheel buttons and the speedo cluster

move cluster to the aux screen...
track names and other info is displayed
right side of the steering wheel - phone hang up, bring up menus, press OK to accept option /menus
left side + and - goes round menus and OK on the right
once a track is playing, left side + and - goes back and forward on tracks
vol, does the vol

you can plug also a Bluetooth gadget into said 30 pin socket and do music streaming via BT, viseeo make one that fully integrates.... WMA1000 (which is also the one for old VAG cars) - not the BMW compatible one. These days the same product is called Bovee and all over amazon site

Last edited:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
On my 2004 R230 SL I have an aux input in the glovebox where I have installed a bluetooth adapter. I can listen to DAB radio and play music (Spotify) from my android phone which is also running Waze satnav. It works very well.

Prior to this I had an ipod plugged into the aux input, it worked but I felt it was a bit clumsy.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
On my 2004 R230 SL I have an aux input in the glovebox where I have installed a bluetooth adapter. I can listen to DAB radio and play music (Spotify) from my android phone which is also running Waze satnav. It works very well.

Prior to this I had an ipod plugged into the aux input, it worked but I felt it was a bit clumsy.

you have no display other than the phone and to change tracks or make a phone call is £200 and 6 points?

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
you have no display other than the phone and to change tracks or make a phone call is £200 and 6 points?
If i am alone in the car I let Spotify randomly select music tracks and I tend to listen to the same radio station so never been an issue. I recall there was a court case recently where the courts defined what using a mobile phone entailed and they found that as long as it is not interactive with another person there was no illegal use.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If i am alone in the car I let Spotify randomly select music tracks and I tend to listen to the same radio station so never been an issue. I recall there was a court case recently where the courts defined what using a mobile phone entailed and they found that as long as it is not interactive with another person there was no illegal use.

Oh really.. I had meant to reply to the previous commentary there..

I'm not sure it is as simple as Botus makes out to be.. what about all the professionals using phones on cradles? And how does using a phone for nav / music differ to in car entertainment?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I recall there was a court case recently where the courts defined what using a mobile phone entailed and they found that as long as it is not interactive with another person there was no illegal use.

you might get away with it.... but now all they need is their colleague to say the car wobbled and they've got u at any time

“Hand-held/Hand-held mobile phone”
Regulation 110(6)(a) states that a mobile phone or device is to be treated as hand-held if it is, or must be, held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call, or performing any other interactive communication function.

“Use”
A phone or device will be in use where it is making or receiving a call, or performing any other interactive communication function whether with another person or not.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-mobile-phones

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Regulation 110(6)(a) states that a mobile phone or device is to be treated as hand-held if it is, or must be, held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call, or performing any other interactive communication function.
Essentially if the phone is properly mounted and not being held in a hand you aren't contravening this, however if you remove the phone you're breaking the law. Even in a holder you have to demonstrate you have full control of the vehicle at all times.

Bluetooth and voice recognition is the way.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
you might get away with it.... but now all they need is their colleague to say the car wobbled and they've got u at any time

“Use”
A phone or device will be in use where it is making or receiving a call, or performing any other interactive communication function whether with another person or not.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-mobile-phones

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law
It seems then that it's not illegal to touch a mobile phone for satnav for music duties as long as I don't hold it.

John Tinsley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 240 AVANTGARDE cabriolet
You can play your iPod through the Aux channel using the 3.5mm jack and keep it in the glovebox, all out of sight, sound quality is fine, but no control. Set your iPod to Random play. I used to use a power pack with it.
I now use a Nulaxy FM transmitter. Plays my library from a micro SD card. Gives me control and phone capability and much better quality than my Viseeo.

Last edited:
OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ladies and Gents..

I finally got my paws on this device.. I am surprised with how nice and compact it is.

I am thinking of hardwiring this into the car and placing somewhere up near the rear view mirror / visor, to give the microphone the best chance. Either that area or potentially the ash tray compartment.

If putting on the sun visor I would probably try and colour match to the beige interior for a more discreet finish.

I have placed it on my laptop (13" Macbook Pro) to give an indication of size.. sorry, no £1 coins (or any coin for that matter!).

IMG_20191028_110548.jpg

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom