Oil filter shortage

pdmalbit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class AMG
I'm looking for some form of confirmation about something I've been told by my local main dealer service department. My wife's 2018 A Class AMG is due it's first service and she's been told that because of a 'world wide' shortage of oil filters for this vehicle they propose to change the oil BUT retain the old filter. When a supply of filters becomes availabe (they're on a world wide 'back order') they'll get the car back and put in a new filter BUT NOT change the oil. When I questioned this practice and asked if this was been done across the whole of the UK main dealer network and approved by HQ they said it was! Obviously, my concern is about the new oil being contaminated by the old filter, then later the new filter being contaminated by the un-changed oil.

Have others here been told about this?

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
Sounds like main dealer gibberish to me. Why don't they just get some Mann oil filters from a supplier instead to do the job. They could pop along to their nearest Euro Car Parts and get as many filters as they needed.

Reactions: DSK

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I'm looking for some form of confirmation about something I've been told by my local main dealer service department. My wife's 2018 A Class AMG is due it's first service and she's been told that because of a 'world wide' shortage of oil filters for this vehicle they propose to change the oil BUT retain the old filter. When a supply of filters becomes availabe (they're on a world wide 'back order') they'll get the car back and put in a new filter BUT NOT change the oil. When I questioned this practice and asked if this was been done across the whole of the UK main dealer network and approved by HQ they said it was! Obviously, my concern is about the new oil being contaminated by the old filter, then later the new filter being contaminated by the un-changed oil.

Have others here been told about this?
My wife SLK 171 was serviced last week by MB. Oil filter M271 fitted & billed.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Is it an actual AMG (A45) or an AMG line petrol/diesel?

We have not had any issues getting filters from the main dealers we use. Sounds very odd

OP
P

pdmalbit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class AMG
Thanks for your replies so far, It's a diesel AMG line.

Anyway, today I phoned Mercedes UK HQ and spoke to a very helpful person who accessed the vehicle's details on their computer database to check it's status; I then recounted the saga (outlined in my original post above) and it was confirmed what I'd been told by my local main dealer service department was true. The official advice from Mercedes UK to all service departments is do what I've described.

I called into my local Fyffes (motor factor) and, after checking their database said they had loads of the appropriate filters (assorted branded names). I wonder if Merc don't source this type of part on the 'open market' but have a tame supplier who brands the parts with the Mercedes label ... maybe so they can assert "only genuine Mercedes parts used in our service departments". That can be the only reason I can see for the situation.

It still doesn't ease my worry about contamination.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
I have always been lead to believe MANN brand filters were OE, but i am sure there is someone in the trade on here that could confirm or deny this.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you're concerned have them do the oil change then as soon as you have it back do a filter change yourself. They'll never know when they come to change it later....

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Considering I just bought 5 litres of 229.51 from my dealer which was on sale for £17.50 I’m sure it wouldn’t cost very much for them to change the oil either...

Pretty poor supply issue though!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I have always been lead to believe MANN brand filters were OE, but i am sure there is someone in the trade on here that could confirm or deny this.

Yes Mann is OEM after about 1995, it was Mahle before then.

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
If it's on PCP what would you care (unless intending to keep it after).
If it's not, get it serviced at a VAT registered business (indie) and still retain the warranty (block exemption legislation).

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks for your replies so far, It's a diesel AMG line.

Anyway, today I phoned Mercedes UK HQ and spoke to a very helpful person who accessed the vehicle's details on their computer database to check it's status; I then recounted the saga (outlined in my original post above) and it was confirmed what I'd been told by my local main dealer service department was true. The official advice from Mercedes UK to all service departments is do what I've described.

I called into my local Fyffes (motor factor) and, after checking their database said they had loads of the appropriate filters (assorted branded names). I wonder if Merc don't source this type of part on the 'open market' but have a tame supplier who brands the parts with the Mercedes label ... maybe so they can assert "only genuine Mercedes parts used in our service departments". That can be the only reason I can see for the situation.

It still doesn't ease my worry about contamination.
Bananas!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom