Autobox Stalls when cold

Bini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Coupe 250D / 2011 / 2.1
Hello all,

I have E250 Coupe, 2011 and have had an ongoing issue since i bought the car which is the car stalls when put into gear when cold. On a warm day its fine, once past the initial start its perfect, no issues at all.

I first got the gear box serviced, still remained, then the torque converter and the issue is still the same. You feed a massive shud and it stalls.

The garage then tried to do a few thigns to try and override a part of the gear box but it still remains. They're now saying it could be £2-3000 by stripping down the gear box and seeing what the issue is, money i dont have.

I was wondering if anyone had similar issues and what i could suggest to the garage?

Thanks

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
The torque converter is locking when it shouldn't, this can be caused by faulty TC, faulty lockup solenoid or faulty valve body.

They should test by disabling the TC and trying to reproduce on cold start. If it doesn't do it, then they can either disable the TC using a rivet, or fix the underlying cause (which they seem to be struggling with?)

OP
Bini

Bini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The torque converter is locking when it shouldn't, this can be caused by faulty TC, faulty lockup solenoid or faulty valve body.

They should test by disabling the TC and trying to reproduce on cold start. If it doesn't do it, then they can either disable the TC using a rivet, or fix the underlying cause (which they seem to be struggling with?)

Thanks for reply. They did mention that they disabled soemthing and did some tuning to the gearbox that fixed a similar problem in another car but didnt on mine. I can check with them what they did on Monday when they reopen and update the thread.

The torque convert has just been refurbished/fixed and this company apparently do loads of these.

Cheers

OP
Bini

Bini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An update on car, it's had the following done but still the same.
  • Valve body
  • Shut Torque converter off
  • Torque Converter built
Still having a hard thud on cold and stalls if you have the break on. Any thoughts on what else it could be or try?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Different car (Citroen C3) but same fault. Alex above suggest a solenoid sticking .... thus is a known fault on this auto Citroen. Citroen wanted £600+ .... EmilysMum lives with it :rolleyes:

OP
Bini

Bini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Different car (Citroen C3) but same fault. Alex above suggest a solenoid sticking .... thus is a known fault on this auto Citroen. Citroen wanted £600+ .... EmilysMum lives with it :rolleyes:

Thanks for the response, how do you go about diagnosing if it's a solenoid sticking?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the response, how do you go about diagnosing if it's a solenoid sticking?

Disable the TC with STAR and drive it when cold and see if it does the same thing.

OP
Bini

Bini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Disable the TC with STAR and drive it when cold and see if it does the same thing.

I spoke to the Garage and they said they did, not with STAR, but with their own diagnostic machine, disabled it and then switched it off and still was the same.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
if the faults been there from purchase date , the garage should foot the bill under the consumers act 2015

OP
Bini

Bini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if the faults been there from purchase date , the garage should foot the bill under the consumers act 2015

It has been there since beginning.
I purchased it last summer and the car was fine, until temperature cooled down in September and i noticed the stall few times. I had 6 months warranty and it took months to diagnose the problem in Nov/Dec as i didnt have time to take to garage, by then it i took it to repair and they said TC wasnt covered.

I spoke with Garage who were baffled that the TC wasnt covered and then said they would sell me another warranty with a bogus sale date. Told me not to make a claim till March, which i waited for and again it wasnt covered. Garage then said they would try and put some smaller claims through, which they didnt and then said the only thing they will do is refund the second warranty, which they still havent and not responding to my messages left.

So, it's been 15 months since purchase of the car, can I still make a claim and who would I contact to begin the process please?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
would have thought yr claim with selling garage, they can look to get that back from where ever. dont get why TC not covered unless there is a max on that policy and TC exceeds it, crap warranty then .good luck yr on dodgy ground with bogus warranty schemes these guys will have seen that before.

OP
Bini

Bini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
would have thought yr claim with selling garage, they can look to get that back from where ever. dont get why TC not covered unless there is a max on that policy and TC exceeds it, crap warranty then .good luck yr on dodgy ground with bogus warranty schemes these guys will have seen that before.

Warranty does cover TC but not wear and tear, its an odd one as how else is the TC going to get damaged.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Warranty does cover TC but not wear and tear, its an odd one as how else is the TC going to get damaged.

ah, well in yr case/warranty i think that catastrophic failure, ie bits coming out the side ! preferably is covered , anything else is likely termed wear and tear and is not ... normal insurance get out of things clauses. would say you should still have route thru seller, however if he has fannied you past six months on sales invoice would say yr on yr own.. sorrio

OP
Bini

Bini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for input fellas. Just read on Which site I got 6 years to make a claim. It wasnt even my intension to make a claim until somone mentioned above.

In meantime, if anyone has any advice on what next to check on the car box, that would be helpful.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I spoke to the Garage and they said they did, not with STAR, but with their own diagnostic machine, disabled it and then switched it off and still was the same.

There isnt much else that can cause this. I would hazard a guess that they havent followed the instructions exactly, and the box is not in E mode when disabling the TC etc.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks for input fellas. Just read on Which site I got 6 years to make a claim. It wasnt even my intension to make a claim until somone mentioned above.

In meantime, if anyone has any advice on what next to check on the car box, that would be helpful.
Where in the country do you live

OP
Bini

Bini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Where in the country do you live

Oxfordshire. Happy to travel to wherever to get it looked at right place without costing an arm and leg

OP
Bini

Bini

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's easy , go and see Ian at Star Mercedes , Reading . He's a regular on this forum
sorted will call him tomorrow. thank you

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom