Inspecting my R230 for rust, how to and checklist?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
What is the difference between the copper grease mentioned here and a general purpose, lithium based multi purpose grease (Comma brand) that I recently purchased.

Is it sufficient to use the GP instead of copper based for the tasks above?

I've seen some notes about copper being abrasive and not to be used on moving parts, along with it being an anti-seize compound?

It seems there are many types of grease, and every time I read about a task, I come across a new type of grease lmao..
Copper grease is anti seize for bolts and not a lubricant.
GP or lithium grease is a general purpose lubricant.
Silicon grease is ideal for rubber seals.
Rubber grease is for assembling rubber seals (as in brake cylinders etc but not roof seals)
Molybdenum grease is a low friction grease which can usually be used in place of lithium gp grease.
White lithium grease is another suitable for sliding roof seals.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Copper grease is anti seize for bolts and not a lubricant.
GP or lithium grease is a general purpose lubricant.
Silicon grease is ideal for rubber seals.
Rubber grease is for assembling rubber seals (as in brake cylinders etc but not roof seals)
Molybdenum grease is a low friction grease which can usually be used in place of lithium gp grease.
White lithium grease is another suitable for sliding roof seals.

Awesome little recap, already gone into my notes.. thanks!

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
I haven't gotten to the ramp yet... But I did have a wee look at the arches this morning.

First thought: OMFG.. I can totally relate to the previous comments around MB design and "what were they thinking" frustrations..

That little gap, that holds the sludge..damn.

Needless to say... Mine were both full of said sludge.

All the inside of both arches are a bit crusty. Thankfully it doesn't seem too bad. While I could pull off crusty paint.. The underlying structure still has integrity.. As I pulled l on them significantly and nothing broke off..

By weekend at latest I will be getting this up and clean them up thoroughly and get some pics for your guys.

Question: if I get a wire brush attachment for my drill and brush away in an effort to see more detailed corrosion, is there a way I can temporarily seal up so that I can drive away and get quotes for the work.

I won't drive with the sealing. Just home and park.

Basically..I just don't know where to take the car to in London and need to figure out the best place to go.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Buy some 0.8 zinc steel plate and fashion it with sheet cutters and drill and tap them in position with screws for a good semi permanent solution

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom