Stop Start kills cam chains

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Okay now think about how much worse a hybrid is on the start stop system o_O:shock::rolleyes:

Seeing this resurrected, this comment does throw a spanner in the works though.....
As much as I hate the CVT in the Prius and Lexus (and it is truly horrible), Toyota do have this nailed

Those things do 200k, even 300k without issue
Go figure.....

My 350CGI has s/s but I doubt the system triggers it once a month, and then only after a long run. I put a new Aux battery in just after buying the car 2 years ago and even with that, nope, around town, it doesnt work.

Does that battery feature on the brake hold function though (which I use constantly around town) or did I dream that up?

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Seeing this resurrected, this comment does throw a spanner in the works though.....
As much as I hate the CVT in the Prius and Lexus (and it is truly horrible), Toyota do have this nailed

Those things do 200k, even 300k without issue
Go figure.....
Yep agree with you there, it’s quite surprising that one manufacturer can get it right and another gets it so wrong.

My original comment was aimed at saying that a normal S/S car might do it 20 times while around town, where as a hybrid might kick it in and out much more due to how power might be requested at the time or the need to recharge the batteries. That said my pug had both a timing chain and a cam belt, I thought it a bit odd at the time but later understood that it makes the hybrid system much more robust

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
^ At some point in time, disconnecting the Stop/Start function will probably be an MOT fail.
OK, you can circumvent this by reconnecting the lead to the battery, but why bother?
Isn't it just as easy to simply press the ECO button on the dash whenever you start the car.
It's become a habit in my W212 and I've only had the car 6 weeks.

Yes I agree it has become habit to turn mine off when I get in the car, that said my car rarely goes into busy urban areas and when it does if traffic is heavy I switch stop/start on.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Yes I agree it has become habit to turn mine off when I get in the car, that said my car rarely goes into busy urban areas and when it does if traffic is heavy I switch stop/start on.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A habit for me too. Never use it at all in any traffic conditions :)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
been off at start since purchase and staying that way crxp idea. unless yr selling parts.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom