2001 208 CDI Automatic Transmission Fault

Tinderbox

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 208 CDI MWB 2001
Sorry if this has been discussed before but a search did not bring it up.

The auto transmission on my Sprinter is failing on me. It does not seem to be mechanical but electrical. It will not stay in Automatic. Keeps going into Manual and then is reluctant to shift when I select with the gear stick.

After some research it seems there is a common fault with the Orings in the 13 pin connector (722.6). They leak transmission fluid, it gets into the 13pin connector and interrupts the signal. This sounds like a possibility but i am just putting this out there in case I have got it completely wrong and I don't even know yet if my van DOES have one of these 722.6 connector thingie. Not been under to look as it's wet and dark.

Any help much appreciated.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
You need to get the transmission read for fault code's...know anyone with iCarsoft or or other scanner?

OP
T

Tinderbox

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You need to get the transmission read for fault code's...know anyone with iCarsoft or or other scanner?

No I don't. I am reluctant to take it to a mechanic before first getting half an idea of what might be going on as I'd rather have a bash myself. A quick shufty on ebay and it seems there are various versions of Icarsoft. MB, LR, V1.0 & V2.0. As mine is a 208 CDI 2001, which do I go for? I don't mind buying a svcanner but I need the correct one. Do I?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
With the 722.6 box, you can check the fluid level through the fill tube with a dipstick (Ebay if there isn't one there).
You would also see wetness around the connector (Merc call this a 'pilot bush') if it was leaking, as the connector has a weep hole at its base (early connectors did not have this).

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
First thing you need to do before getting a code reader is identify what type of diagnostic port you have. At 2001 some were OBD2 and some were 38 pin round connector. OBD2 if fitted will be down by the steering column probably below the parking brake release on the flat panel above the pedals (it will probably have a cover on it). A 38 pin one will be under the bonnet.

OP
T

Tinderbox

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
First thing you need to do before getting a code reader is identify what type of diagnostic port you have. At 2001 some were OBD2 and some were 38 pin round connector. OBD2 if fitted will be down by the steering column probably below the parking brake release on the flat panel above the pedals (it will probably have a cover on it). A 38 pin one will be under the bonnet.
Parking break? You mean hand break? Stearing column? Sounds like you are talking US and not UK...but thanks for the info.

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
Yes, that's what he means. Confusion is that on Mercs, the 'hand brake' is foot operated

stumo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270CDI x3 2002,03,04 | Sprinter 316CDI 2003 LWB
A 208 CDI T1N Sprinter doesnt have 722.6 it has Sprintshift trans. This is a fully automated manual trans with electronics controlling hydraulic actuators for shifting and clutch. Only the 5cyl Sprinter had the 722.6 option in that T1N era.

This sprintshift trans is a total can of worms. Google it lol.

The most common issue is the control relays, then the pump brushes. You need Star diag or similar pro scanner to read the codes. And quite frankly anyone running sprintshift should carry star diag at all times and learn how to use it.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom