E Class Coupe E350 C207 (2009-2016) Interior and Body Strips

webbys

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class estate
Hi
I've been a member for several years so I could enjoy the benefits of this site but this is my first post so please bear with me if I'm not following the correct protocols or formats.
I'm looking to purchase an E Class Coupe E350 BHP 265 so from what I've researched I believe I need to be looking at at least late 2010 models.
I've spent ages looking on line and I can't find anything to answer a question I have about the interior. I've hopeful of finding cream or red leather in the car I buy and I have seen a full cream leather interior car for sale which was a 2009 model. However, all of the later models I've found which I need for the 265 BHP engine seem to have what I'd describe as a 'half leather' option. To try and explain further, the front of the driver and passenger seats are for example red, tan or cream leather and the rear of the seats is black. The rear seats have only the two passenger seats in colour (directly behind the driver and passenger seats) with the centre of the rear seat where the armrest is being in black. The door cards are mainly black too with only a small portion being the colour variant.
Does anyone know if this type of leather styling is a customer choice and simply I haven't found a 265 BHP model with full leather? I would find this strange as I've looked at loads! I'm more inclined to think what I call the 'half leather' came in with the 2010/11 facelift where the BHP of the E350 increased from 231 to 265 but I'm really not sure so I'm hoping someone will enlighten me.

Finally my second question is about the chrome looking strip towards the bottom of the doors which I guess is probably not chrome and instead plastic finished in a chrome/stainless steel look. Most cars I've looked at have this strip but I've seen some models without the strip so again, does anyone know if the strip is on certain models or model years or have some people just removed them.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help I may receive.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Welcome I started looking at the E Class Coupe to replace my CLK 8 years ago. But we decided the boot was too small so went for a E350 saloon with the 265BHP engine. The engine is great loads of power & economic, I get at least 48MPG over the year.
Cant help you on the leather, I am sure all the saloons I looked at were full leather. The rear seats on the CLK were the same as you describe, but I think it is classed as a 5 seater.
I know some of the members have removed the chrome strip, but I don't know if its been discontinued in later models.

OP
webbys

webbys

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class estate
Welcome I started looking at the E Class Coupe to replace my CLK 8 years ago. But we decided the boot was too small so went for a E350 saloon with the 265BHP engine. The engine is great loads of power & economic, I get at least 48MPG over the year.
Cant help you on the leather, I am sure all the saloons I looked at were full leather. The rear seats on the CLK were the same as you describe, but I think it is classed as a 5 seater.
I know some of the members have removed the chrome strip, but I don't know if its been discontinued in later models.

Hi Sonic, thank you for your reply and welcome. I chose the 265 bhp engine after careful research and I was hoping to get a great combination of MPG and torque/0-60 so it is useful to know the mpg you have achieved as the official mpg is close to that but I've seen a few comments saying it is really closer to 40. I had the E Class estate for 3 years as I needed the luggage space but I no longer need that so I'm happy with a smaller boot although the E Class is good for a coupe.
I see you are in staffordshire too :)

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
E class coupe's with coloured leather (not black) as far as I'm aware are as you describe, front seats leather with a black back, 2 rear seats in leather with black centre separating the seats and doors and in the back have leather inserts. Coupe's
come with the chrome strip at the bottom, if it's got none then one the the owners has removed it, which imo looks loads better and the 265 bhp
Is from early 2011 onwards.
The one with the straight DRLs. :)

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've got an E class coupe
265 bhp meself, i love it,
looks great, fast, smooth, quiet, and decent MPG.
What more could you want. :D

OP
webbys

webbys

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class estate
E class coupe's with coloured leather (not black) as far as I'm aware are as you describe, front seats leather with a black back, 2 rear seats in leather with black centre separating the seats and doors and in the back have leather inserts. Coupe's
come with the chrome strip at the bottom, if it's got none then one the the owners has removed it, which imo looks loads better and the 265 bhp
Is from early 2011 onwards.
The one with the straight DRLs. :)
Hi SmartAmg
Thanks for your reply. I've definitely seen an all cream leather coupe 2009, if I can figure out how to load up pictures I'll show the one I've seen and also show a comparison to a red leather with what I describe as 'half leather'. I thought all models came with the chrome strip at the bottom of the doors but just wasn't sure as I'd seen some without and I know it is personal choice but I think they look much better without. I've seen some comments about removing the strip and it seems like they are stuck on with double sided tape and not screwed on or clipped, hence the possibility of removing them without having to do bodywork repairs! Thanks for the clarification on the 265 BHP models being from early 2011 and I hadn't noticed that the straight DRL's were brought in with that model so that will help me know the difference between a 231 and 265 BHP by sight.

OP
webbys

webbys

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class estate
Hopefully I've uploaded these images correctly and they show more clearly what I'm questioning. The images showing the red leather are what I'm referring to as 'half leather' and the cream leather images are what I refer to as 'full leather' and these images are a 2009 model. E class Coupe Red Leather.jpg E class Coupe Red Leather 2.jpg E class Coupe Cream Leather.jpg E class Coupe Cream Leather 2.jpg

Attachments

• E class Coupe Red Leather.jpg
    E class Coupe Red Leather.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 18
  • E class Coupe Red Leather 2.jpg
    E class Coupe Red Leather 2.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 18
  • E class Coupe Cream Leather.jpg
    E class Coupe Cream Leather.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 18
  • E class Coupe Cream Leather 2.jpg
    E class Coupe Cream Leather 2.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 18

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The cream is not full leather, the plastic is cream coloured.
Personally I prefer the red, i am biased of course. :rolleyes::)

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I had a 2010 Coupe (231bhp) with grey leather but the seat backs were grey plastic. There are only two seats in the back but I thought the centre part and arm rest in mine with grey leather but perhaps not. I think both the pictures you show is what Mercedes call leather seats, i.e. the bit you sit on it leather but the side, back, underneath, etc is plastic. I don’t think it comes any better than that. So, your cream pictures probably are also a mix of leather and plastic but it’s not so obvious.

In my car, doing mostly longer runs, I could easily get 43mpg, and actually had 51mlg on a run down through France once.

Don't be put off by some plastic because they are brilliant cars. Be careful, though, with the Sport or AMG Sport cars because they came with Artico as standard which Mercedes optimistically describe as “Man Made Leather” and proper leather was an extra cost option.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Hi Sonic, thank you for your reply and welcome. I chose the 265 bhp engine after careful research and I was hoping to get a great combination of MPG and torque/0-60 so it is useful to know the mpg you have achieved as the official mpg is close to that but I've seen a few comments saying it is really closer to 40. I had the E Class estate for 3 years as I needed the luggage space but I no longer need that so I'm happy with a smaller boot although the E Class is good for a coupe.
I see you are in staffordshire too :)
You won't go wrong with the 265 engine, plenty of positive reports on the site. I have had one fault in 55K miles, the turbo boot sensor oil seal failed. To be fair most of my driving is out of town, we use my wife's SLK for town use.
I tour Europe every summer & of course diesel is cheaper out there than petrol, & a very relaxed engine at speed. Managed this in Germany about half was autobahn, the rest B roads.
Yes live in Staffs, south of the county, good luck with your search.

Attachments

• 60A230EE-C23E-4A44-9621-A57B412C7627.jpeg
    60A230EE-C23E-4A44-9621-A57B412C7627.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 12
OP
webbys

webbys

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class estate
The cream is not full leather, the plastic is cream coloured.
Personally I prefer the red, i am biased of course. :rolleyes::)
Hi SmartAmg
Thanks again for your reply, apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I've been away for the last week.
I do prefer the red myself and I do like the styling of the one I've shown in the photo's where I've questioned the large amount of black present but I think I would much prefer it if the styling was more like the cream example where the plastic is a similar cream colour and not black. As I'm yet to see a red example where the black plastic is red then I can't be sure if I really think it makes much difference, who knows, I might even think it is too much red!

OP
webbys

webbys

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class estate
I had a 2010 Coupe (231bhp) with grey leather but the seat backs were grey plastic. There are only two seats in the back but I thought the centre part and arm rest in mine with grey leather but perhaps not. I think both the pictures you show is what Mercedes call leather seats, i.e. the bit you sit on it leather but the side, back, underneath, etc is plastic. I don’t think it comes any better than that. So, your cream pictures probably are also a mix of leather and plastic but it’s not so obvious.

In my car, doing mostly longer runs, I could easily get 43mpg, and actually had 51mlg on a run down through France once.

Don't be put off by some plastic because they are brilliant cars. Be careful, though, with the Sport or AMG Sport cars because they came with Artico as standard which Mercedes optimistically describe as “Man Made Leather” and proper leather was an extra cost option.
Hi Srdl
Thanks for your reply and apologies for the late reply from myself, I've been away for the last week.
I think you are probably correct where you say the cream is still a mix of leather and plastic but it is less obvious due to the plastic being a similar colour and the carpets also being similar.
I won't be put off by the plastic as I agree that the overall benefits I'm going to get from the car will far outweigh any thoughts I have on what I consider my 'would likes' with the interior. I guess as far as my questions about the interior are concerned all I'm hoping to do is be sure of what I hold out for when looking for a car to buy - no point in holding out for a full red interior if they don't exist :)

It is also useful to hear actual examples of MPG as it is important to me to be able to achieve decent figures.

Thanks also for the info on the Artico as I didn't know that was standard on the Sport and AMG models although I had read about MB Tex which I guess is similar although this may be a product found on later models or in the US, can't recall where I read about it, so I would have questioned what was actually in any car I'm looking to buy.

OP
webbys

webbys

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class estate
You won't go wrong with the 265 engine, plenty of positive reports on the site. I have had one fault in 55K miles, the turbo boot sensor oil seal failed. To be fair most of my driving is out of town, we use my wife's SLK for town use.
I tour Europe every summer & of course diesel is cheaper out there than petrol, & a very relaxed engine at speed. Managed this in Germany about half was autobahn, the rest B roads.
Yes live in Staffs, south of the county, good luck with your search.
Hi sonic
Thanks for your reply, sorry about the delay in getting back to you, I've been away for a week.
Yes, I have done much research on the 265 BHP engine and I've come across loads of information from a variety of sources where it all seems very positive and I don't recall seeing much about specific issues let alone anything general in the negative sense. I've seen many comments describing the engine bullet proof both from those driving short and long journeys.
I too am in South Staffs, near Lichfield :)

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Personally I think the red leather with the black looks great, i think all red would be too much, imo.:)
20190804_121853.jpg 20190804_121912.jpg
Sorry, couldn't resist pics :rolleyes::)

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Yes, I believe Artico and MB Tex are the same thing, just different sides of Atlantic.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Yes, I believe Artico and MB Tex are the same thing, just different sides of Atlantic.
MB Tex was the stuff they used in the 80’s lasted forever - all the beige Taxis had it. Artico is fragile in comparison and lasts about as long as the warranty...:(

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Red and black on white car works well

I have the mid brown / mocha leather (and black)
I have seen a lot of black, but also mid grey, so keep an eye out, various leathers were ordered by 'new' owners
PS get a Pano roof!

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Red and black on white car works well

I have the mid brown / mocha leather (and black)
I have seen a lot of black, but also mid grey, so keep an eye out, various leathers were ordered by 'new' owners
PS get a Pano roof!
Agreed, a Panoramic Roof,
is a must. :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Finally my second question is about the chrome looking strip towards the bottom of the doors which I guess is probably not chrome and instead plastic finished in a chrome/stainless steel look. Most cars I've looked at have this strip but I've seen some models without the strip so again, does anyone know if the strip is on certain models or model years or have some people just removed them.

The Chrome strips are indeed plastic, they are easy to remove with a hairdryer and just peel them off when the adhesive gets warm.

I removed mine in 10 mins, looks better IMO

OP
webbys

webbys

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class estate
Personally I think the red leather with the black looks great, i think all red would be too much, imo.:)
View attachment 53735 View attachment 53736
Sorry, couldn't resist pics :rolleyes::)
Thanks for the pics, the red and black looks good with the white and every time I look at a white car I think how fantastic it looks on the coupe, however, I've had my fill of white and silver cars so it has to be black for me this time :)
I must say, from the start of my search I didn't dislike the red and black and it is growing on me, but I have always liked full red although I too am beginning to think it might be too much in this particular model, the problem is that I've not found one yet to judge for myself!
I've had my fill of white and silver cars so it has to be black for me this time :)

Top Bottom