nightmare rear brake lights

adam retter

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
vito 2008 2.1
Evening peeps
wandering if anyone has had a simlar issue with rear brake lights that keep blowing the fuse,
sometimes after 1 mile sometimes 10.
The sam unit has been taken out and cleaned , and a new brake switch put in.

the garage has mocked up some bulbs on a wire that plug into the fuse holder for the brake lights ,and hes said if they light up we will be able to trace where its shorting... not ideal but its getting me around.

any thoughts would be really welcome thanks

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Corrosion in the bulb holder?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
On Vito I have seen fretting of the wiring loom inside the pillar where it routes to the rear lamp.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
is the light exposed to elements or internal. If external I would say a leak somewhere, corrosion, holder or connectors.
If internal loose wiring (could of course apply to the above).
Get a miltimeter out and start tracing!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom