Cyclist/Scooterists with no lights.....(rant)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
So youre blocking a narrow country lane in a 2 ton lump of steel and somehow the cyclist is in the wrong trying to get past you???

As above he wasn't prepared to slow down like an other normal road user on a single track road. If he'd been AN Other vehicle we'd acknowledged each other as we slowly passed each other. He was just an ignorant t**t

and of course we turn that round the other way ..... ignorant, selfish cyclists sat in the middle of a lane while other road users are trying to pass them

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
So youre blocking a narrow country lane in a 2 ton lump of steel and somehow the cyclist is in the wrong trying to get past you???

This applied to the cyclist I came across in North Wales the other week. A bloke in his 50s/60s cycling towards me but not yet in sight due to the narrow B road & bend that was only just wide enough for an ML ... he was determined to squeeze himself passed me though there was not really the room. I blasted the horn and received a 2 fingered salute.

ED you should have had the 'van on the back :geek::rolleyes::D:D

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
We have purpose built cycle ways around here, some alongside roads, lots away from roads that facilitate a more direct route into the town centre and business parks that have underpasses on all the main roundabouts so there is no need for cyclists to interact with road traffic. It is possible to cycle across the town without going on a road or crossing a road.

Are they used? are they heck as like.

One particular one runs next to a main road, where the cycle way is as smooth as a babies bum with nothing in the surface to cause any issues. The road has a series of drain covers in a straight line approx 3' from the kerb, some have collapsed with road gulleyed to the kerb, some are raised causing obvious issue for cyclists. Is the cycle way used by cyclists, nope. They ride at speed as its down hill, well over the posted speed limit that cars adhere to, on the road swerving in and out of the drain covers and cars, or 4 abreast up the hill in the road.

We cycle on the cycle ways as its good exercise and we do a 14 mile circuit via a lovely pub that you would not get to by car easily.

Its pure ignorance and arrogance on the part of cyclists not to use the purpose built cycleways in my opinion. Unfortunately they do come a cropper when jumping traffic lights and not using the available cycleways, which in turn creates mayhem as roads are closed to investigate the fully preventable accidents. I have absolutely no sympathy for them and hope their injuries prevent them from cycling again. Moronic behaviour for which there is no excuse.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
As above he wasn't prepared to slow down like an other normal road user on a single track road. If he'd been AN Other vehicle we'd acknowledged each other as we slowly passed each other. He was just an ignorant t**t

and of course we turn that round the other way ..... ignorant, selfish cyclists sat in the middle of a lane while other road users are trying to pass them

I'm sure you're not explaining adequately as either there was not enough room for a cyclist to pass or there was enough room for two vehicles to pass albeit slowly. What was it?

Highway Code rule154
Take extra care on country roads and reduce your speed at approaches to bends, which can be sharper than they appear, and at junctions and turnings, which may be partially hidden. Be prepared for pedestrians, horse riders, cyclists, slow-moving farm vehicles or mud on the road surface. Make sure you can stop within the distance you can see to be clear. You should also reduce your speed where country roads enter villages.

The highway code usually ensures that both parties need to take equal responsibility so please do not see this as finger pointing but in a collision between car and cyclist there will be only one loser.

In Germany, Denmark and Holland, in an accident involving a cyclist, the driver has to prove the cyclist was at fault.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I'm sure you're not explaining adequately as either there was not enough room for a cyclist to pass or there was enough room for two vehicles to pass albeit slowly. What was it?

Highway Code rule154
Take extra care on country roads and reduce your speed at approaches to bends, which can be sharper than they appear, and at junctions and turnings, which may be partially hidden. Be prepared for pedestrians, horse riders, cyclists, slow-moving farm vehicles or mud on the road surface. Make sure you can stop within the distance you can see to be clear. You should also reduce your speed where country roads enter villages.

The highway code usually ensures that both parties need to take equal responsibility so please do not see this as finger pointing but in a collision between car and cyclist there will be only one loser.

In Germany, Denmark and Holland, in an accident involving a cyclist, the driver has to prove the cyclist was at fault.

It was a singe track road ..... I stopped within the distance I could see to be clear but he had no intention of even slowing.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
It was a singe track road ..... I stopped within the distance I could see to be clear but he had no intention of even slowing.

That sense of entitlement that they have even if might kill them.

We have a one vehicle wide bridge in our area (quite long) with traffic in one direction (S>N) having priority. Cyclist opposite me coming down the 'give way' (N>S) side decided he was not waiting for me (god forbid he should have to come to a full stop and put a foot on the ground) and did not stop. I proceeded - he had to get off his bike and move onto the footpath while cursing me. Gave me much pleasure. Nothing makes my day more than an unhappy cyclist.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The very high powered bike lights are used by mountain bikers for night rides off road. It's pretty good fun!
Yep. I have pair of portable suns for mine (brighter than car headlights!), but I never ride on the road so not an issue.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Lots of cycle lanes in Hereford on the old railway. I always cycled around Hereford as much faster than driving. I also used the cycle lanes as it was more direct into town.

I don’t cycle in West Yorkshire much at all as the roads are not conducive, too narrow with no verge.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
Until the uk has a comprehensive cycle path network it really is very simple.
If you are a motorist you need to use due care and attention whenever you encounter a cyclist on the road. That means slowing down, passing leaving adequate room and generally showing some consideration for someone who is vulnerable on the road. It is your responsibility to do this and failure to do so is may lead you killing someone.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Until the uk has a comprehensive cycle path network it really is very simple.
If you are a motorist you need to use due care and attention whenever you encounter a cyclist on the road. That means slowing down, passing leaving adequate room and generally showing some consideration for someone who is vulnerable on the road. It is your responsibility to do this and failure to do so is may lead you killing someone.
I don't think anyone on this thread is denying this, what they are complaining about is the minority who don't follow the highway code and are accidents waiting to happen.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
I don't think anyone on this thread is denying this, what they are complaining about is the minority who don't follow the highway code and are accidents waiting to happen.
I appreciate that Blobcat, but i think you need to re-read some of the comments above re- cyclists.
Personally i do not mind taking my time when there is a cyclist on the road near me. What really gets my goat is Fiat 500 drivers and Aldi (sorry i meant Audi) drivers.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Not sure if ive got the right place but I googled randlstown road antrim and street veiw shows a road with a shared path at the side of it. Street veiw takes me to a place where theres a pedestrian on the path followed shortly by a factory entrance crossing the shared path. I didnt look any further up the road as Ive seen enough to say that Id probably ride on the road, if thats the place your talking about
The street view is 2016.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG

This is a situation I often encounter, single track road, me on the bike and large SUV/truck oncoming, often at speed. I am damned if I am going to get off the bike and stand politely in the hedge because you are bigger than me. Why should cyclists give way ? Just slow down, and we can both pass safely. We can get past in a couple of feet, we are quite narrow, and surprisingly agile. Also if it a hill, it is very difficult for us to unclip and get off. Courtesy on both sides helps.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
This is a situation I often encounter, single track road, me on the bike and large SUV/truck oncoming, often at speed. I am damned if I am going to get off the bike and stand politely in the hedge because you are bigger than me. Why should cyclists give way ? Just slow down, and we can both pass safely. We can get past in a couple of feet, we are quite narrow, and surprisingly agile. Also if it a hill, it is very difficult for us to unclip and get off. Courtesy on both sides helps.
Is it better to be right but dead or right but alive? Yes you may be in the right etc etc...but exercising that right could lead to your death...is it worth it? The motorist may be in the wrong etc etc, and be prosecuted etc etc...but you will still be dead. I value my life and if a car driver is being a twat I'm not going to show him he's wrong.

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)
Its pure ignorance and arrogance on the part of cyclists not to use the purpose built cycleways in my opinion..

You are quite right, but are the "cycleways" really cycleways or shared paths?

Nearest cycleway to me is 20 miles away at an off road trail centre or 40 miles away at a velodrome. Much closer to me are greenways and shared paths that cyclists can use but are shared with a multitude of static and moving obstacles that pose quite a risk to cyclists. These arent cycleways of which I dare say that there are next to none in the whole country.

If you want reasonable commuting times or to take some of the reccomended excercise involving exersion, then shared paths rarely cut it and the road is the only alternative.

Obviously if you want a gentle pootle out to the pub with the kids then green ways/shared paths are ideal.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

If I'd gone slower I'd have been going backwards .... as said I stopped. But he intended on going through full pelt, despite the lack of room.
Why should cyclists giveway? ....Self preservation perhaps.
I don't expect a cyclist to stop, but a bit of give & take both ways would have been appropriate.

Top Bottom