Wrist Pins and Pistons?

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Not a problem to me (yet!) as I have a diseasal, but there seems to be an epidemic of noisy wrist pins (gudgeon pins) in the US on the 2l W205s with the OM 274 engines manufactured around 2015. Some of them are also having power loss due to cracked pistons on No 1 Cylinder probably because they've ignored the knocking of the pins.

I know that there are fewer petrol 205s over here but I would have thought we would have heard of the problem before now.

Any comments?

Ernie

Ductman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDI Estate/R171 200 SLK/Lotus Exige V6/Lotus Evora GT410 Sport
Isn't that the Renault developed engine? I know it was also used in an Infiniti (Nissan/Renault)

OP
E

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Isn't that the Renault developed engine? I know it was also used in an Infiniti (Nissan/Renault)
Not sure about that, but the 1.6 version used on the previous C Class and some of the A Classes generally seem to be reliable possibly apart from the thermostat which is buried beneath the inlet manifold and a pain to change, according to MB locally.

The gudgeon pin problem might be specific to the US/Canada due to local component sources or even fuel issues. At any rate it doesn't seem to be a problem here...long may it continue!

Ernie

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom