Winter Tyres

PerdeT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI Sport BlueEfficiency & E350 CDI Sport BlueEfficiency
Hi Guys,

Whats your preferred Winter Tyre for your Mercedes Benz. They aren't great in the snow but I'm planning a trip to Norway soon to the artic circle so would be good to get your views

Winter tyres to be non studded by the way

Thanks

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’ve tried quite a few and not had issues with any, from cheap Chinese to the Pirelli Sottzeros I’m using now.

MyTyres is an excellent website to look and select. I’d say your 2 months late for decent prices though...

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Found Contential Winter Contact the best. Dunlop, Nokian, & Bridgestone were all good. Currently on Pirelli which are not as good as the others mentioned.
Goodyear & Michelin get good reports but I have never used them.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Had Dunlop, Vredestein and Uniroyal all been good

GlasgowBhoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 220 E Class Premium.
Just had my first wee skid in Glasgow tonight and then struggled up a small incline. Is it easier to buy a set of alloy wheels and tyres as someone said your summer tyres can suffer damage being removed?

Last edited:

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Yes and yes they can (get damaged)

But you need more money, obviously, although you'd save in the long term

Nokian are good, I have Hankook (but no spare alloys)

GlasgowBhoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes and yes they can (get damaged)

But you need more money, obviously, although you'd save in the long term

Nokian are good, I have Hankook (but no spare alloys)

Yeah I think that's the way to go mate.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Just had my first wee skid in Glasgow tonight and then struggled up a small incline. Is it easier to buy a set of alloy wheels and tyres as someone said your summer tyres can suffer damage being removed?
They can with a cack handed tyre man, but shouldn’t.

I bought a new set of alloys and MB Spec Pirelli’s for just over £550 last year for mine.

GlasgowBhoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They can with a cack handed tyre man, but shouldn’t.

I bought a new set of alloys and MB Spec Pirelli’s for just over £550 last year for mine.

Cheapest I can find is just under £900.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Hi Guys,

Whats your preferred Winter Tyre for your Mercedes Benz. They aren't great in the snow but I'm planning a trip to Norway soon to the artic circle so would be good to get your views

Winter tyres to be non studded by the way

Thanks

Wouldn't snow chains be a better option if it is only for a 1 off?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I think any well known named brand of winters will be the way to go . Have you considered getting some steel wheels fitted with smaller winters on , it should save you a bit , or eBay for second hand alloys .
Websites for tyres like Camskill, Tyreleader, Oponeo May save you a few quid .
I’d be really interested in hearing the full trip story with pics of course :D .
Not sure if you will legally need chains or studs in Norway in the winter ? You may need to account for extra wheel arch space for the chains ?

barian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 E220d

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Decent fitters won’t damage your summers- I’ve had several sets swapped over over 2-3 seasons and never had an issue, having a second set of alloys is a bit easier as you can swap over your self, but my local guy changes over for £15 a corner so can’t complain...

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did that on both cars 10 years ago, the only issue is storage but I have space in our garage. I managed to buy the first two sets of wheels second hand, had no problem selling them on eBay.
Go for the smallest narrowest wheels that will fit your car. You need maximum down weight, also a lot cheaper.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think any well known named brand of winters will be the way to go . Have you considered getting some steel wheels fitted with smaller winters on , it should save you a bit , or eBay for second hand alloys .
Websites for tyres like Camskill, Tyreleader, Oponeo May save you a few quid .
I’d be really interested in hearing the full trip story with pics of course :D .
Not sure if you will legally need chains or studs in Norway in the winter ? You may need to account for extra wheel arch space for the chains ?
Got a friend who lives on the coast in Norway, snow is not the problem its ice. They all drive on studded tyres.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Got a friend who lives on the coast in Norway, snow is not the problem its ice. They all drive on studded tyres.
Yep , that’s what I was wondering about for the op , are winter tyres enough .

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Wouldn't snow chains be a better option if it is only for a 1 off?

They won't be allowed/will disintegrate on long distance main roads/cleared roads. If you're going non studded you will need chains anyway for ice/deep snow/by law but when there is a dusting of snow and you can't use the chains and it's minus 10 you won't want to be on summer tyres (and probably won't be allowed to be though I'm not too sure on Norway law).

I did a ski season in the alps with 4x winters and 2x chains and really wouldnt have wnated to/been allowed to drive without winters. I only needed the chains once the whole season but as I hadn't fitted them before I just inched up the hill spinning the wheels at an indicated 65mph instead and got to the top....but had to change the diff fluid rather soon after that and apparently it was all a burnt colour when it came out!

I'd recommend 4x winters and 2x chains for emergencies. Winters are amazing if you drive like you are on summers and use them to get traction and complete your journey where you wouldn't be, and for that even a cheap brand/part worn will do. I wouldn't use non studded winters to drive like a rally driver/as if there's no snow though

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1'c when I drove home last night, no any traction or funny feedback through the wheel or backside, however when I stepped out at home I could hardly stand up as the ground was all iced over - I love winter tyres

OP
P

PerdeT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI Sport BlueEfficiency & E350 CDI Sport BlueEfficiency
It’s because it’s November... buy in September for best deals

great point. i will may just look for a set around that time

Top Bottom