C class w203 220CDI

fifthwheel

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a facelift Dec 2004 220cdi Auto saloon. I am selling the car and had a test pilot looking yesterday.
He was driving back into my yard and the engine stopped, he managed to restart it and was parking up when it stopped again.
As soon as it stopped the engine tried to restart on its own accord. The EIS was a little stiff due to standing and I am wondering if he left it in the start position when he started the engine to go on his test drive.
My question is with an EIS as free turning as it should is it normal for a Mercedes automatic to attempt to restart on its own? john.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’ve not known one restart on its own, the key should go back to position 2 after starting

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
only thing I could guess it 'autoingnition' due to excessive oil in intake... compression ingnition does not care about EIS if it get fuel to burn, it just goes...

OP
F

fifthwheel

Reaction score
I’ve not known one restart on its own, the key should go back to position 2 after starting

This is just what I was thinking in my first post, the guy said he didn't do this and is blaming the car. If the car is not meant to self start after a stall then the only explanation must be he didn't help the switch back to number two after he started it. The car has been standing out in the weather for a couple of years and has given me a few problems already. I didn't think it should self start but thought it best to ask the experts. I will try to free the switch completely with contact cleaner. There is nothing worse than standing outside unused, I am working on a motorbike that has been in a shipping container for fifteen years its a nightmare everything seized and rusty. To make things worse it was me who put it there. As always I appreciate the forums help. john.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
This is just what I was thinking in my first post, the guy said he didn't do this and is blaming the car. If the car is not meant to self start after a stall then the only explanation must be he didn't help the switch back to number two after he started it. The car has been standing out in the weather for a couple of years and has given me a few problems already. I didn't think it should self start but thought it best to ask the experts. I will try to free the switch completely with contact cleaner. There is nothing worse than standing outside unused, I am working on a motorbike that has been in a shipping container for fifteen years its a nightmare everything seized and rusty. To make things worse it was me who put it there. As always I appreciate the forums help. john.
I was given a Honda Dullville that had sat outside for 10 years... I put a battery on it and it started...:D
Just recently given it away to my local IAM group who auctioned it for charity

OP
F

fifthwheel

Reaction score
only thing I could guess it 'autoingnition' due to excessive oil in intake... compression ingnition does not care about EIS if it get fuel to burn, it just goes...
No the engine was not running on oil it was being cranked over by the starter, thanks john.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
Ah, ok I just misunderstood...

jj1975

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 c220cdi 2002
Ah, ok I just misunderstood...
Hi
I think you have problem with ignition
I had to drive ones old sharan and had same problem like your I had to find key positions between 1 and 2for the key so the starter not to engage
You are because urs is auto and a soon engine is running Ecu is cutting the power for starter but when engine cut off it let the power go to starter again that’s why it starts you have the problem trying to start it self if this make any sense to you

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom